• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KickAsh

halted development
Lolwut?

When was, "We are returning to Unova again" mentioned?

PEOPLE. Stop assuming when you don't know anything about the games!
It's a hell of a lot better assumption than "Well we don't know anything about BW2 for sure, so we could go to any region. We just don't know!!!!1" Unova will be the region, it's the most likely setting and makes the most sense looking back on past games--utilizing actual facts. Saying we won't go to Unova is just baseless speculation, it's making noise just to make noise.

These games being a sequal is straying far, far out there. The rules have been changed.
No, they haven't really, or at least, there's no reason to believe they have. Unless GF plans on totally breaking the mold, we'll stay in Unova. Pokemon is not a franchise known for its sudden changes and wild innovation. GF makes small changes, and introduces some new Pokemon and a new region every gen. Just because there is a 2 in the title does not mean GF is throwing all previous conceptions out the window and redesigning the wheel. No, it makes sense to look back on past patterns and trends from the franchise and apply them here. There wasn't a new region in Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum.

So maybe get off your high horse and stop expecting people to make allowances for your bratty little ***, especially when you're too lazy to use the spell check feature handily located 1 inch north of where you're typing.
Spell check doesn't correct words that are spelled right, even if they are the wrong words. For example, "squeal" wouldn't be corrected because it's a word, even if blaze boy meant to write "sequel." Don't get all angry because he can't spell up to your standards if you're just going to assume he's lazy and tell him to use spellcheck even though he probably already does.

But seriously speaking, I do still hope that scan is seriously trolling on the starters part.
But I'm totally fine with having a new region and new set of gym leaders.
I think they're just trying to fuel speculation by teasing us. And hey, looking back at the last couple of pages, it worked. I think Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott will be our starters, though.
I agree on the Gym Leaders. Personally, I want to see a mix of Leaders from BW and a batch of new faces.

Last edited:
That's what i'm hoping for as well. I didn't go to the Subway too much and found it boring so i'm hoping for a Frontier kind of thing.

Gym Leader re-matches would of made B/W a lot better as well, so i'm hoping in some way they can put them in this game.

I would really like for a frontier sort of concept as well. Maybe gym leader rematches like in heartgold and soulsilver,updated cities and towns, and perhaps new evolutions? Seeing other remakes for their games we could very well be looking at all this.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Guys, this isn't the place for arguing about spelling errors and disabilities and whatnot. Keep to the topic at hand please without all the shouting and name calling.

TWN

5326 7398 1244
Basically what blaze boy said. Each starter needs to be equally strong and equally weak against each other, so as to form a neat type triangle. And Grass/Fire/Water is the easiest to understand IRL (fire burns grass, water puts out fire, grass absorbs water). That's why they've stuck with that particular type triangle and there's no reason to change it.

Yes there is; it's called innovation. The Fire/Water/Grass triangle is getting stale. But I just said version exclusive starters are an interesting possibility; I didn't say it's a likely one, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yes there is; it's called innovation. The Fire/Water/Grass triangle is getting stale. But I just said version exclusive starters are an interesting possibility; I didn't say it's a likely one, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Can you think of a more balanced and more recognizable type traingle than Grass/Fire/Water? No? Didn't think so.

Wasarym

'lectric-blue flavor

Could you elaborate on "version exclusive starters"? I'm curious as to what you mean. If you mean what I think you mean, I don't think it will happen for BW2. Heck, 6 starters in gen 6 would be weird.

...And now that I typed that last sentence, those two 6's have convinced me that this might happen (for gen 6).

TWN

5326 7398 1244
Can you think of a more balanced and more recognizable type traingle than Grass/Fire/Water? No? Didn't think so.
Why does it have to be a triangle? Here's what I meant by version exclusive starters: one available starter in Black 2, a different one in White 2. In other words, you wouldn't be able to choose from three starters; the Pokemon you start out with would depend on your version.

Could you elaborate on "version exclusive starters"? I'm curious as to what you mean. If you mean what I think you mean, I don't think it will happen for BW2. Heck, 6 starters in gen 6 would be weird.

...And now that I typed that last sentence, those two 6's have convinced me that this might happen (for gen 6).
See my response to Black Doom. No, having two sets of three starters would be overdoing it. Plus there aren't two sets of three Pokemon in Generation 5 tat are parallel to each other (aesthetically or statistically), so there's no way that could even happen this generation. I am definitely not suggesting that.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Why does it have to be a triangle? Here's what I meant by version exclusive starters: one available starter in Black 2, a different one in White 2. In other words, you wouldn't be able to choose from three starters; the Pokemon you start out with would depend on your version.

That wouldn't work. First of all, there are no two types that are super effective against each other. And even if there were, Pokemon is an open ended game, having a star being forced on you based on your version is unfair.

Wasarym

'lectric-blue flavor
That wouldn't work. First of all, there are no two types that are super effective against each other. And even if there were, Pokemon is an open ended game, having a star being forced on you based on your version is unfair.
I for one, wouldn't like having a starter forced on me. Even if I had the choice of versions in the first place. Also...

...They could both be dragon type... in these two sibling games...
But I'd prefer a sequel.
...Unless... these games are far more into the future than we've been thinking, long enough for the dragon to be passed down to Hilda's/Hilbert's children. This most likely isn't likely though.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
...Unless... these games are far more into the future than we've been thinking, long enough for the dragon to be passed down to Hilda's/Hilbert's children. This most likely isn't likely though.

Two problems with this. First of all, Hilbert/Hilda's children would need to prove themselves as legendary heroes in order to inherit Reshiram/Zekrom, which would most likely require a long journey. Second, being given a legendary as a starter would just plain break the game.

TWN

5326 7398 1244
That wouldn't work. First of all, there are no two types that are super effective against each other.

Ugh, why are you stuck on the idea that starters have to forever be super effective against each other?

And even if there were, Pokemon is an open ended game, having a star being forced on you based on your version is unfair.

By that logic, ANY Pokemon that is version exclusive in the games is also unfair...

rocky505

Ugh, why are you stuck on the idea that starters have to forever be super effective against each other?
Because F/W/G is our only option of being fair. They made the game easier by giving us two rivals one with a starter strong against you and one weak against yours. They don't won't something completely unfair to little kids. Take the wanted dark/fighting/psychic crap for example. Kids who pick the psychic starter would be screwed and stuck in the game because their psychic moves won't hurt the dark starter. Gf keeps the triangle the same because it's fair to everyone.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Because the starters are meant to teach type matchups.

By that logic, ANY Pokemon that is version exclusive in the games is also unfair...

True, but having a starter forced on you diminishes the open-endedness that Pokemon seeks to establish.

TWN

5326 7398 1244
Because F/W/G is our only option of being fair. They made the game easier by giving us two rivals one with a starter strong against you and one weak against yours. They don't won't something completely unfair to little kids. Take the wanted dark/fighting/psychic crap for example. Kids who pick the psychic starter would be screwed and stuck in the game because their psychic moves won't hurt the dark starter. Gf keeps the triangle the same because it's fair to everyone.

Yes, but how would having two starters--each exclusive to a version, neither of whom are weak or strong against the other--be unfair?

Because the starters are meant to teach type matchups.

All Pokemon have strengths and weaknesses--not just the starter trios. Sure, they are a good introduction to the concept, but I don't see the franchise being aesthetically stuck with Fire/Water/Grass trios forever because of it. Especially considering there are countless other possible ways to familiarize players with type matchups.

Black Doom said:
True, but having a starter forced on you diminishes the open-endedness that Pokemon seeks to establish.

Pokemon Yellow would like to meet your acquaintance.

As I've said, I agree that version exclusive starters are not likely. However, I see it entirely possible that the designers declare the repetitive Fire/Water/Grass starter trio concept stale at some point and decide to change to something like a version exclusive starter concept instead. My thinking is that (1) since BW2 is a sequel, they wouldn't want to give us the same starters as in BW1 because it would make the player's experience repetitive, and (2) version exclusives make a good business model for Game Freak because they are incentive for players to buy both versions.

Last edited:

GroudonX

2022-0105-4687
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but maybe starting with an Eevee could be cool. Then if you get a water/fire/leaf stone, you can evolve it to the type of your choice, obviously. I'm not saying I want this to happen, it's just an opinion.

JBiGGiE

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but maybe starting with an Eevee could be cool. Then if you get a water/fire/leaf stone, you can evolve it to the type of your choice, obviously. I'm not saying I want this to happen, it's just an opinion.

I feel though that we'll still see an emphasis on all Unova Pokemon until the post-game. Therefore I'm afraid Eevee is out. And I don't know that based on the Unova Pokedex that another trio could replace the starters. Or for that even two possible version exclusive Pokemon that'd match up considering that GF would likely want to use a 3rd evolution family and then type balance which I assume if they went that route they'd pit two Pokemon without a type advantage over one another, most likely same type v. same type (in exception to dragon and ghost).
And then again I could just be spouting crazy banter...

sSerenity

What about a Ice Ground Rock starters ?

Rock > Ice > Ground > Rock !

Roggenrola / IceCream Vanillite (?) / Sandile

But they have to change the Roggenrola evolution !

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon

Eevee has nothing to do with unova though..

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
The only possible starter triangles (i.e. three types that are weak to one another in a rock-paper-scissors fashion and the same with resistances in reverse) other than the traditional Fire/Water/Grass are Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground.

Just a fun fact from dragonflycave. There ARE type triangles outside of FWG, but they're really obscure and mostly occur by "chance" rather than by actual will I think.

rocky505

The only possible starter triangles (i.e. three types that are weak to one another in a rock-paper-scissors fashion and the same with resistances in reverse) other than the traditional Fire/Water/Grass are Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground.

Just a fun fact from dragonflycave. There ARE type triangles outside of FWG, but they're really obscure and mostly occur by "chance" rather than by actual will I think.
I wouldn't count F/R/S or GR/P/S since they have both grass and fire in them. I mean it's obvious the starter types will never change it is something they want to keep just like gym leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.