• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IchiXIV

Pokémon Collector
So much yes. If online petitions weren't totally ineffectual, I'd seriously consider starting a global one to pass around the internet to convince somebody to fix the arse-awful mess that is the GTS. I tried it again for the first time in 2 years the other night...within a minute I realised why I hate the bloody thing: because it's populated by 10 year olds and/or idiots who want an Arceus for their Budew, or a Shaymin for their Wooper, or a Darkrai for their Bidoof. Oh go to hell, the lot of you, and come back when you want to stop wasting my time and your own.

/rant ^^;

I was hoping they could have some level limit for each pokemon. Put the level available based on the minumum level you could be able to obtain that particular species. (ie. Lv.1 for Bulbasaur, Lv.16 Ivysaur, Lv.36 Venusaur, Lv.1 Palkia, and Lv.50 Zekrom). At least, there won't be any impossible request on GTS. I used to play all on my own during Gen IV, and most Pokémon I couldn't find, I have to rely on GTS. Nowadays, almost every request on GTS, even for Zigzagoon, want a Lv.9 or lower Zekrom or Reshiram.

I also hope they have more boxes for storage too. With all the gender differences and alternate form, even 24 boxes is not enough for me. (Well, I allocated 28 spaces just for Unown! ;p) Maybe they'll let us buy more storage box with all those extra money laying around.

rocky505

I was hoping they could have some level limit for each pokemon. Put the level available based on the minumum level you could be able to obtain that particular species. (ie. Lv.1 for Bulbasaur, Lv.16 Ivysaur, Lv.36 Venusaur, Lv.1 Palkia, and Lv.50 Zekrom). At least, there won't be any impossible request on GTS. I used to play all on my own during Gen IV, and most Pokémon I couldn't find, I have to rely on GTS. Nowadays, almost every request on GTS, even for Zigzagoon, want a Lv.9 or lower Zekrom or Reshiram.

I also hope they have more boxes for storage too. With all the gender differences and alternate form, even 24 boxes is not enough for me. (Well, I allocated 28 spaces just for Unown! ;p) Maybe they'll let us buy more storage box with all those extra money laying around.
Venusaur would be 32 not 36.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
Learn Japanese first. If you look through the posts in this category's forums, someone misspelled the named rival from the sample playthrough. The characters can easily be mistaken for others, so it's important to know a good amount of Japanese to enjoy playing the non-international game.

I can read Hiragana and Katakana(Pokemon uses both), but I only know a bit of Kanji. I'll know which part of the text is the Pokemon's name because it's name is normally written in Katakana, right? I'm also sure that most of the character's names are in Katakana too. I'm taking Japanese 101 right now, so my knowledge is not as high as I would like it to be. I would probably need a kanji dictionary(if there's kanji in the game) and a Japanese dictionary to understand some the context. Still it would be fun to try to figure out what's going on even if I couldn't read/understand much.

I might end up naming all of my Pokemon using Romanji to make it easier on myself to recognize them by sight. If I recalled right from my old Pokemon FireRed, they let you use Romanji, but there's a letter limit(5?).

IchiXIV

Pokémon Collector
Venusaur would be 32 not 36.

My bad, sorry. But you know what I mean. Plus, what's the point of trading if you could just hack everything?

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター
I can read Hiragana and Katakana(Pokemon uses both), but I only know a bit of Kanji. I'll know which part of the text is the Pokemon's name because it's name is normally written in Katakana, right? I'm also sure that most of the character's names are in Katakana too. I'm taking Japanese 101 right now, so my knowledge is not as high as I would like it to be. I would probably need a kanji dictionary(if there's kanji in the game) and a Japanese dictionary to understand some the context. Still it would be fun to try to figure out what's going on even if I couldn't read/understand much.

I might end up naming all of my Pokemon using Romanji to make it easier on myself to recognize them by sight. If I recalled right from my old Pokemon FireRed, they let you use Romanji, but there's a letter limit(5?).

Don't worry even if you don't have a good knowledge of Japanese the games wills till be just as enjoyable anyway, I ordered Pokemon Diamond in Japanese when I was 12 and beat the Elite Four in a week and I enjoyed it a lot. Pokemon games really do help you with Japanese anyway, it's helped me improve as I can read it everyday and test myself to see what I know with it. I'm terrible with Kanji so I always have it set to Katakana/Hirigana haha, you can change it to Kanji if you get more advanced though :) Pokemon is easy and fun even if you don't fully understand the language, well it is if you ask me anyways.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
Don't worry even if you don't have a good knowledge of Japanese the games wills till be just as enjoyable anyway, I ordered Pokemon Diamond in Japanese when I was 12 and beat the Elite Four in a week and I enjoyed it a lot. Pokemon games really do help you with Japanese anyway, it's helped me improve as I can read it everyday and test myself to see what I know with it. I'm terrible with Kanji so I always have it set to Katakana/Hirigana haha, you can change it to Kanji if you get more advanced though :) Pokemon is easy and fun even if you don't fully understand the language, well it is if you ask me anyways.

You can set it to hiragana/katakana? That's in Options, right?

I sure hope it'll be fun :) It sounds like a fun challenge to navigate through the game in Japanese. I did some of that in FireRed, but it was a hack where someone tried to tranlate it in English. The hack was partially translated, so I had to guess things here and there when the text started to talk in Japanese.

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター
You can set it to hiragana/katakana? That's in Options, right?

I sure hope it'll be fun :) It sounds like a fun challenge to navigate through the game in Japanese. I did some of that in FireRed, but it was a hack where someone tried to tranlate it in English. The hack was partially translated, so I had to guess things here and there when the text started to talk in Japanese.

it starts off as Hirigana/Katakana already :) but you can change it between that and Kanji in the options at any time, and it will be fun! I always prefer the names of the pokemon on the Japanese version too, so I never bother to learn the English names unless it's necessary haha. If you do end up getting the Japanese version, I'll add you and we can battle and trade or help each other if you want :)

Junichi Masuda recently posted saying that he recommends that if you bought Black previously, you should get Black 2 or if you had White, you should get White 2.

While it seemed logical, it's good to get his view on it which indicates to me that there is definitely some follow on from the story in the games.

Well obviously since B2 is a sequel to B, W2 sequel to W.

Weavile.nl

Proud to be Dutch
I have like the best idea ever.

They should make HM's optional. What i mean is, that your Pokemon learns the HM, lets say; Cut, but you get the option to add it to hes moveset or not.
In that case you could finnaly make a full six pokemon team without learning those sucky *** HM's to them (Cut, Rock Smash and stuff) so you wont have to go to the pokemon center to get your HM-slaves out of your box.

My english sucks, but everybody probably understands what i mean

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター

They should make HM's optional. What i mean is, that your Pokemon learns the HM, lets say; Cut, but you get the option to add it to hes moveset or not.
In that case you could finnaly make a full six pokemon team without learning those sucky *** HM's to them (Cut, Rock Smash and stuff) so you wont have to go to the pokemon center to get your HM-slaves out of your box.

I would love this idea, and I love would Gamefreak even more if they did this! I think it's an extremely slim chance we will see this happen though :(

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

They were already optional in the first game, so it shouldn't be surprising that it's like that in BW2.

gliscor&yanmega

I'm a little confused by what you mean. Do you mean to make them basically like TMs? Which I suppose now could work since TMs are usable infinity times, assuming they keep that, which I hope they do.

Or do you mean to have HMs less involved in the story? Which was the case for Black and White bar that one time you needed to use Cut, which was in the very early part of the game.

I'd prefer if they just had it like they did in Black and White, that way HMs wont be that big of an issue with people. Plus if you could remove HMs without a move deleter then people could get stuck if they remove Surf while in the middle of water, which I suppose could be avoided with not allowing people to delete Surf when you are Surfing, but still, I think they could just keep it how they had it in Black and White, even Strength made a better use where the boulders wouldn't get pushed back once put in the hole.

I'd say, just have a move deleter early on in the games, if that was the case then I'd have no issue teaching any of the HMs to my Pokemon if I could delete them soon afterwards. Cut and Rock Smash aren't bad early in the games, Rock Smash got a stronger base power in Black and White and it can lower Defense, and while I'm typing this I just realized Rock Smash isn't even a HM move anymore so Cut is currently the only weak HM that is only good for early game or for Normal types to get STAB.

I say HMs are fine as they were in Black and White, so I say keep it as it is.

Klinklang_1024

MultiRegion Champion
^I agree, just so long as they make the move deleter MUCH earlier in the game

Chaos Rush

I would love this idea, and I love would Gamefreak even more if they did this! I think it's an extremely slim chance we will see this happen though :(

Did you guys forget that you actually don't need any HMs to beat the main story in B1/W1?

SteFin44

Since your mom in the game isn't healing our Pokemon anymore since there is a Pokemon center in the starting town what will she do?

Perhaps she does something like hold onto our money like in GSC & HG/SS the only other games your mom doesn't heal your Pokemon.

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター
Did you guys forget that you actually don't need any HMs to beat the main story in B1/W1?

So? It's still more convenient, say I didn't want one of my Pokemon's battle moves to be surf, I'd still want ti to get around the ocean. Also moves like Fly that I use to get to places quick but don't really want my main pokemon to have in battle.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Too bad the pokemon I bonded with going through Black are all too high to go on a new adventure with. Being able to lower a pokemon's level would be awesome. I don't have my hopes up though, but would definitly be cool. Could also bring a way to devolve pokemon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Junichi Masuda recently posted saying that he recommends that if you bought Black previously, you should get Black 2 or if you had White, you should get White 2.

While it seemed logical, it's good to get his view on it which indicates to me that there is definitely some follow on from the story in the games.

Version exclusives might also be a factor in that (notably Reshiram/Zekrom, I doubt this time you'll be able to get both).

Status
Not open for further replies.