• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Too bad the pokemon I bonded with going through Black are all too high to go on a new adventure with. Being able to lower a pokemon's level would be awesome. I don't have my hopes up though, but would definitly be cool. Could also bring a way to devolve pokemon.

Why would you want to do that? If you had a level 100 Magneton/Nosepass at the beginning of gen 4, I can see that. But otherwise, what would be the point? I don't see why you would want to re-use your old team.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Wait a second, I didn't see this before, but the scene on Smash where the male protag fights the other with Reshiram and Kyurem, the one with Black Kyurem had a three-frame animation...

Please tell me that's not a sign of bad things to come, or did player characters not have animations in the first game? (No, I'm not talking about the Poke Ball throwing animation.)

And thanks to Youtube, I now know that they didn't. ...Well, it's slightly better.

Last edited:

PKMNTrainerSaw

Wait a second, I didn't see this before, but the scene on Smash where the male protag fights the other with Reshiram and Kyurem, the one with Black Kyurem had a three-frame animation...

Please tell me that's not a sign of bad things to come, or did player characters not have animations in the first game? (No, I'm not talking about the Poke Ball throwing animation.)

And thanks to Youtube, I now know that they didn't. ...Well, it's slightly better.

As I was watching something (either smash or the trailer) I think I saw the rival move, although rivals moved in BW, too. We'll have to wait, just like on everything else.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
As I was watching something (either smash or the trailer) I think I saw the rival move, although rivals moved in BW, too. We'll have to wait, just like on everything else.

I. Already. Know. That.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Not going to happen, this is Pokémon not Digimon.
Like I said, not likely but who knows. Certainly not you.

Why would you want to do that? If you had a level 100 Magneton/Nosepass at the beginning of gen 4, I can see that. But otherwise, what would be the point? I don't see why you would want to re-use your old team.

Like I said, to go through the game with the pokemon I used in the first.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Like I said, not likely but who knows. Certainly not you.

Have they ever done this in any of the generations? No.
Did they do it in BW1? You can answer that.
What kind of background info can you fall back on to support that? Like blaze boy said, this is Pokémon, not Digimon.
What would even be the point of devolving?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Junichi Masuda recently posted saying that he recommends that if you bought Black previously, you should get Black 2 or if you had White, you should get White 2.

While it seemed logical, it's good to get his view on it which indicates to me that there is definitely some follow on from the story in the games.

I'll decide what I'm going to buy AFTER I know more about the mascot and version exclusives.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Have they ever done this in any of the generations? No.
Did they do it in BW1? You can answer that.
What kind of background info can you fall back on to support that? Like blaze boy said, this is Pokémon, not Digimon.
What would even be the point of devolving?
Have they ever added new stuff to new generations or games? Yes.
We're not talking about BW1.
None. Just think it'd be cool. :)
For players who want to devolve their pokemon? 9_9

IchiXIV

Pokémon Collector
For players who want to devolve their pokemon? 9_9

I don't know who would want to do that. Evolving makes them stronger, unless your playing for Nobunaga's Ambition, where it might make your compatibility weaker. Devolving looks like messing with the games too much, especially those that change type when evolving. The Eevee line comes to mind. Kinda hard to expect when fighting a Vaporeon with Thunderbolt, or Flareon with Hydro Pump. Since I've been collecting them, I always plan ahead if I want to evolve them or keep them in current form.

PKMNTrainerSaw

I don't know who would want to do that. Evolving makes them stronger, unless your playing for Nobunaga's Ambition, where it might make your compatibility weaker. Devolving looks like messing with the games too much, especially those that change type when evolving. The Eevee line comes to mind. Kinda hard to expect when fighting a Vaporeon with Thunderbolt, or Flareon with Hydro Pump. Since I've been collecting them, I always plan ahead if I want to evolve them or keep them in current form.

Yeah I hear you on the eeveelution. I would only devolve if I got a Granbull. IMO Snubull is stronger. Snubull has more base HP, Defenses (Sp. and Phys.), and better base speed.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I don't think it's an uncommon want. Maybe more for the casual players who miss their old forms or pokemon they've bonded too like one of my friends. And with the team I've been using in BW, there are two pokemon I use that aren't fully evolved because I like them that way...but I do want to bring them to level 100, yet that means they'll never get to evolve further should I change my mind later on. I've thought about leaving them at 99, but that means I can't freely use them in exp battles and they also won't get the most of their stats in that form.

It seems like it would take a lot of work to back track, but not impossible. For the moves, maybe a simple game notification that it can't devolve until said move is removed like you can't trade hm pokemon, etc.

Anyway, it's just something I felt like sharing. Will it happen, even I think it won't. But eh...

Last edited:

PKMNTrainerSaw

I don't think it's an uncommon want. Maybe more for the casual players who miss their old forms or pokemon they've bonded too like one of my friends. And with the team I've been using in BW, there are two pokemon I use that aren't fully evolved because I like them that way...but I do want to bring them to level 100, yet that means they'll never get to evolve further should I change my mind later on. I've thought about leaving them at 99, but that means I can't freely use them in exp battles and they also won't get the most of their stats in that form.

It seems like it would take a lot of work to back track, but not impossible.

Anyway, it's just something I felt like sharing. Will it happen, even I think it won't. But eh...
The only pokemon I've bonded with alot before it evolving would probably be Tympole to Seismitoad. That thing took so long to evolve into palpitoad and seismitoad. Darumaka to Darmanitan too.
Devolving would be nice if you accidentally evolved it (By not pressing b on accident) or caught it at a higher evolution stage than you wanted.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
The only pokemon I've bonded with alot before it evolving would probably be Tympole to Seismitoad. That thing took so long to evolve into palpitoad and seismitoad. Darumaka to Darmanitan too.
Devolving would be nice if you accidentally evolved it (By not pressing b on accident) or caught it at a higher evolution stage than you wanted.
I've also heard of players forgeting that certain pokemon evolve when traded and they lose a pokemon form they wanted.

voicerocker

Platinum Master

It seems like it would take a lot of work to back track, but not impossible. For the moves, maybe a simple game notification that it can't devolve until said move is removed like you can't trade hm pokemon, etc.

Pokemon evolution is basically the same as aging, in a way. As some Pokemon start out at small, cute forms, such as the starters, they eventually become larger and more powerful. De-evolution would be like a human growing up and becoming old, but then reversing the aging process so they can relive their teenage years again. It's not natural, so they won't allow that.

Also, consider a Pokemon like Caterpie-Butterfree. Would it make much sense for a Butterfree to become a Metapod again? Pokemon don't evolve the same way Digimon digivolve. Digimon are made of digital information and can therefore be altered. But Pokemon are implied to be flesh and blood creatures that grow naturally as any normal animal or human would...well, sort of. Game Freak was nice enough to give us the B-button to prevent evolution and items like the Everstone, so that we could keep those forms we like, but I highly doubt they'll let us unevolve a Pokemon.

kogawolfman

Alpha Mightyena
On the subject of devolving: it's called breeding.

Tommyb2405

On the subject of devolving: it's called breeding.

Exacly... Breeding Can Give You How Ever Many Of The Pokemon That You Want... Don't Want To Evolve It, Don't Evolve It Then. The Concept of Evolution is that Pokemon, People, Animals Etc Change to adapt the surroundings. Evolution only goes forwards... Never Backwards. So De-evolution will never be seen in a Pokemon game

KingOmega

BOO!! hehehe...
devolving is also a way to give your pokemon more attacks as pokemon learn moves faster as pre-evolved pokemon.

but there would also have to be a way to re-evolve it... maybe a different level requirement or a special item or something

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
I reckon they should change some of the TMs. Especially some of the useless ones like Ally Switch and Quash.

Speaking of TMs, I can definitely see Homika giving TM09 Venoshock and Shizui giving TM55 Scald. But a handful of the TMs in Black and White are a waste and nobody would ever use them. TMs like Dark Pulse and Stealth Rock should return.

As for that Devolving Topic. Never! Not going to happen ever!

PKMNTrainerSaw

I reckon they should change some of the TMs. Especially some of the useless ones like Ally Switch and Quash.

Speaking of TMs, I can definitely see Homika giving TM09 Venoshock and Shizui giving TM55 Scald. But a handful of the TMs in Black and White are a waste and nobody would ever use them. TMs like Dark Pulse and Stealth Rock should return.

As for that Devolving Topic. Never! Not going to happen ever!
I think they should get psychic obtainable pre- E4. Homika would either give Venoshock or Toxic, and I see Shiuzi giving Scald, too. They wouldn't change the TM list. It has never happened mid-generation. They could break tradition again though. If they don't change the TM list, Shiuzi doesn't give out scald, then he would give out Rain Dance, or possibly Surf or Waterfall to break tradition and make a gym leader hand out HMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.