• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
When you met the Grunt again in BW, [He says that while he had planned to revive Team Rocket, soon after returning home he fell in love and then married.] This quote is from http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Icirrus_City#Ex-Team_Rocket_Grunt.27s_house

That attempt to revive TR probably came after you defeated him in Kanto in GSC. He returned home, met his wife, and had a kid. Probably took them at least a year to have a kid. Yeah, the kid can talk when he's 3, but he talked in full sentences. He's probably at least 4. My guess. So 3 years + 5 ish years = 8.

I stand corrected! :p It feels so wrong for Red and Blue to be an adults though :'( its almost as though I'm going to have to grow up at some point too

kilroy40

Brock 'n' Roll
I stand corrected! :p It feels so wrong for Red and Blue to be an adults though :'(
Imagine an older Prof. Oak, nearing the end of his life. :(

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I stand corrected! :p It feels so wrong for Red and Blue to be an adults though :'( its almost as though I'm going to have to grow up at some point too

Wellll...

In the anime when Ash, Misty and Brock return to Viridian City for the 8th badge, Misty clearly says 'I can't believe it's been a year since we last came here'. Ash is stated to be 10 in the first episode, so he should be at about 11 by then. But at the beginning of the Black/White series, 4 whole regions later, we're introduced to 'our hero, 10 year old Ash Ketchum'. Um, wtf, is he Peter Pan or something?

And yeah, I know games and anime aren't the same. But maybe the same 'time passes and yet principal characters don't age' thing applies. After all, does Red look any older when he appears on Mt Silver in G/S? Kid should be about 13/14 by then, but he still looks 10.

I don't like the idea of seeing the playable characters grown up, and hope they don't introduce it as a feature. Just imagining it feels like having a part of my childhood destroyed :( and yeah, some of those those Professors aren't getting any younger, so a massive time jump would mean a lot of awkward 'grandpa's gone to heaven' conversations to avoid.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3

I think most of the older generation(the ones that grew up with Gen 1) are at in their late teens at this point :(.

Yeah, it does feel strange to see the old protagonist and rival as adults. I wonder why kind of personality Blue would grow up to have. He probably wouldn't call you a loser, at least if he matured. If he does appear, I hope I get to battle him again. He was my favorite rival. The rival that is always ahead of you somehow. And shows up at the most unlikely places, like Silphs Co.. Remember when Blue was there to battle you instead of helping you defeat Team Rocket? I used to get so mad for never being ahead of him(badge wise). In BW, you almost always get your badge before Cheren.

Imagine an older Prof. Oak, nearing the end of his life. :(

Wait, but Prof. Rowan is at least 10 years senior of Oak, and Rowan looks like he's still lively and well. So I think Prof. Oak would still be standing :). Besides, isn't it common to see people live up to at least 70 now adays? Especially in Japan.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
So, I'm assuming that we'll use time capsules to trade between b/w1 with b/w2?

I bloody hope not, I've spent hours breeding eggs with flawless IVs to transfer to those games! If we're not able to trade normally I'm getting a ticket to Japan and kicking some serious butt.

Seriously though, we don't officially know whether or not we can yet (we've never had sequels before, so can only guess), but I'd presume we can because of the following:

1) there are items in B/W that cannot fulfil their purpose, e.g. the shards, Dive Balls. Unless they upgrade the time pokeshift system so you can transfer items, it makes sense to be able to trade these items to B/W2 somehow, to be able to use them fully.
2) These games are the same console and the same generation, so technically should be compatible.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I bloody hope not, I've spent hours breeding eggs with flawless IVs to transfer to those games! If we're not able to trade normally I'm getting a ticket to Japan and kicking some serious butt.

Seriously though, we don't officially know whether or not we can yet (we've never had sequels before, so can only guess), but I'd presume we can because of the following:

1) there are items in B/W that cannot fulfil their purpose, e.g. the shards, Dive Balls. Unless they upgrade the time pokeshift system so you can transfer items, it makes sense to be able to trade these items to B/W2 somehow, to be able to use them fully.
2) These games are the same console and the same generation, so technically should be compatible.

The year difference should be a non-factor as well considering in BW we had that guy who went back to the past/into the future respectively.

R_N

The year difference should be a non-factor as well considering in BW we had that guy who went back to the past/into the future respectively.

He didn't time travel. He used a machine to gaze into the past/future for a few moments.
...I'm just saying.

Anyway the time difference really shouldn't matter too much, regardless. It's not like they're adding new moves or Pokemon or whatever.

Ereshk

Still planning
I noticed something. If BW and BW2 are normally tradeable, this means now a BW player will also be able to get non-Unova Pokémon before beating the game.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I noticed something. If BW and BW2 are normally tradeable, this means now a BW player will also be able to get non-Unova Pokémon before beating the game.

That would be the case.
Correct me if I'm wrong, if you trade foreign Pokemon to BW early in the game, they will appear in the Dex as ???.

This is the same with DPPt and HGSS. You can both trade non-regional Pokemon early in the game without the need of the National Dex.
But you need to obtain your Pokedex first.

Blazios

They could do that anyway, by trading with another B/W copy or going to the Dream World.

They could do that anyway, by trading with another B/W copy or going to the Dream World.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you trade foreign Pokemon to BW early in the game, they will appear in the Dex as ???.

They don't actually show up in the dex until you get the National Dex (though the game keeps track of what you've evolved, etc). On the Summary screen, their numbers are indeed ???.

Ereshk

Still planning
This is the same with DPPt and HGSS. You can both trade non-regional Pokemon early in the game without the need of the National Dex.
But you need to obtain your Pokedex first.
Yes, I remember I once played HGSS with Gen IV pokémon traded from Platinum out of boredom.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I traded over a Chimchar with Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Brick Break/U-turn to use as my starter on HeartGold as soon as I caught a Pidgey.

Gooooooo me.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I traded over a Chimchar with Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Brick Break/U-turn to use as my starter on HeartGold as soon as I caught a Pidgey.

Gooooooo me.

I did the same thing for my HG game, but my Chimchar only had Thunderpunch. Most of us are preparing to horde some Lillipup and Azurill so we can get more powerful Pokémon earlier in the game.

kemal07

Wellll...

In the anime when Ash, Misty and Brock return to Viridian City for the 8th badge, Misty clearly says 'I can't believe it's been a year since we last came here'. Ash is stated to be 10 in the first episode, so he should be at about 11 by then. But at the beginning of the Black/White series, 4 whole regions later, we're introduced to 'our hero, 10 year old Ash Ketchum'. Um, wtf, is he Peter Pan or something?

And yeah, I know games and anime aren't the same. But maybe the same 'time passes and yet principal characters don't age' thing applies. After all, does Red look any older when he appears on Mt Silver in G/S? Kid should be about 13/14 by then, but he still looks 10.

I don't like the idea of seeing the playable characters grown up, and hope they don't introduce it as a feature. Just imagining it feels like having a part of my childhood destroyed :( and yeah, some of those those Professors aren't getting any younger, so a massive time jump would mean a lot of awkward 'grandpa's gone to heaven' conversations to avoid.

That may actually be why we never saw Caitlin in the anime back in Sinnoh as it would have been difficult to explain the change in age, if she is to appear in Unova

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
That may actually be why we never saw Caitlin in the anime back in Sinnoh as it would have been difficult to explain the change in age, if she is to appear in Unova

It wasn't because of that, given how the Sinnoh league was rushed it likely because Black and White was due to be released. Also only one of the Sinnoh Frontier made an appearance in the Animé.

kemal07

It wasn't because of that, given how the Sinnoh league was rushed it likely because Black and White was due to be released. Also only one of the Sinnoh Frontier made an appearance in the Animé.

I still believe that it makes sense however... how would they have explained the ageing of Caitlin

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I did the same thing for my HG game, but my Chimchar only had Thunderpunch. Most of us are preparing to horde some Lillipup and Azurill so we can get more powerful Pokémon earlier in the game.

Brilliant plan.

realarcastform

Rotom Trainer
So guys we have both Nintendo Direct and Pokemon Smash to expect more B2W2 news from. I'm hoping SOMETHING is in Nintendo Direct tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.