• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I'm surprised with all the talk about a Hoenn remake happening. I thought a lot of people didn't want it discussed or something. Has there been any new about a Hoenn remake I missed? I think it'd be cool, but also kinda funny since it doesn't seems like it's that long ago to me even though it has almost been 10 years (wow) and I mean because you can still play them and have connection to the current games. But I wouldn't be against it getting a remake.

Nah, no new news. And no, we're not really supposed to discuss it in depth, but most people do expect that the next generation will hold R/S/E remakes of some kind or shape. I picked up my Ruby the other day and the graphics made me sadface. They were good when they were released (although for some reason my least favourite, aesthetically, of all the games) but comparing them to the new screenshots of B/W2 makes them look poor. And that gorgeous water in the new games...can you imagine how glorious all that water would look in Hoenn? With stunning 3D cutscenes of Rayquaza!?

...ack. The mods are coming! *changes subject quickly*

As to Pokemon following you, I really miss it. It wa such a sweet little feature that really made me appreciate my Pokemon more. I don't get why they couldn't just implement it as optional, that way everyone would be happy.

Grei

not the color
There has been news and frankly, I don't see what the buzz is all about. Hoenn games remakes won't make sense because:

First, it makes sense to remake R/B and G/S in order to align them with R/S and D/P. Events of Kanto happened alongside events of Hoenn, events of Johto alongside events of Sinnoh, which is why those games are compatible to each other. B/W happens a few years after D/P as shown with Cynthia and all of those technological advancements. Some of you may be thinking "It's a pattern" or "It's obvious", but 5th gen has proved to break those patterns.

None of these are actual reasons against RSE remakes. We're the ones who constructed the timeline, not Game Freak. Besides, there aren't really any references or clues in RSE that confirm that it happens alongside FRLG.

As for Pokemon Following... maybe it's returned as a feature you can turn on/off, and we'll see it next month? :S

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Nah, no new news. And no, we're not really supposed to discuss it in depth, but most people do expect that the next generation will hold R/S/E remakes of some kind or shape. I picked up my Ruby the other day and the graphics made me sadface. They were good when they were released (although for some reason my least favourite, aesthetically, of all the games) but comparing them to the new screenshots of B/W2 makes them look poor. And that gorgeous water in the new games...can you imagine how glorious all that water would look in Hoenn? With stunning 3D cutscenes of Rayquaza!?

...ack. The mods are coming! *changes subject quickly*

As to Pokemon following you, I really miss it. It wa such a sweet little feature that really made me appreciate my Pokemon more. I don't get why they couldn't just implement it as optional, that way everyone would be happy.
Even looking back at the fourth gen games makes me see how the graphics have changed.

And maybe it'll be optional in the new games? I'd like that. ^^

None of these are actual reasons against RSE remakes. We're the ones who constructed the timeline, not Game Freak. Besides, there aren't really any references or clues in RSE that confirm that it happens alongside FRLG.

As for Pokemon Following... maybe it's returned as a feature you can turn on/off, and we'll see it next month? :S
Oh, it's only been the fans who created the timeline? Idk, I always just considered each gen to be later on in time like the show. I know anime=/=games, but that's just my opinion. I can also see the timeline being as fans see it with things like the red gyrados being mentioned in Sinnoh and the machop still stomping the land flat in Kanto. I just personally choose to think of it as I mentioned before. So it's like going back to Kanto and Johto in FRLG and HGSS instead of going back in time. But again, that's just how I choose to see it.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Oh, it's only been the fans who created the timeline? Idk, I always just considered each gen to be later on in time like the show. I know anime=/=games, but that's just my opinion. I can also see the timeline bein as fans see it. I just personally choose to think of it as I mentioned before. So it's like going back to Kanto and Johto in FRLG and HGSS instead of goin back in time. But again, that's just how I choose to see it.

Yup, its a fanbase creation. Some games have hints that tell us when certain games happen in relation to other games, of course. GSC/HGSS officially occurs two years after RGBY/FRLG, and DPPt begin around the time when the Lake of Rage incident occurs in Johto. In Platinum and HGSS, Caitlin is a young girl, and in BW, she's much older, so it appears that BW happens later in the timeline than DPPt. BW2 happens two years after BW, etc.

So we can presume the games do have some placement on a timeline. It's just that nothing about that timeline has ever been officially stated, and because of that, the timeline isn't really any reason for why RSE remakes can't be done in the 5th Gen, or for why DPPt remakes can't be done in the 6th Gen, and so on.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer

There are hints. For example, Red went to Sevii Islands to help Celio to connect his Pokémon Net Center to the Hoenn region.

Grei

not the color
There are hints. For example, Red went to Sevii Islands to help Celio to connect his Pokémon Net Center to the Hoenn region.

Yup. Now, what else is there?

Literally, there's nothing more. The Sevii Islands Celio sidequest is literally the only thing Hoenn has to anchor it to any particular point on the timeline.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Well, remakes do make them money.

Was just thinking about what kind of game I'd like to see them make. I remember when I was just getting into Pokemon, I wondered if they had a console version and I imagined what it'd be like. I kinda thought of it as how Pokemon Colosseum came out but with patches of grass and whatnot to catch wild pokemon. With the new console coming out, wonder if B2W2 will have any connection to it obviously in the future. Maybe a stadium (but I prefer that to be on the wii). But the new console is a conole and handheld right?

Grey Wind

but 5th gen has proved to break those patterns.
OH MY GOD if one more person says this I swear I'm going to explode.

Yeah, the feature was great in my opinion. I really hoe that it's brought back soon, I loved having Pokemon wandering around behind you. There was something so brilliant about it.

Um, that ain't a hint. I can't fathom why Celio connecting to Hoenn means that they took place at the same time. In-game, it was never said who they were connecting with or when it was. It was just said that they were connecting with Hoenn. It was an excuse to not let people trade between RS and FRLG too early.

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
I don't see how FRLG and RSE take place at the same time. The trade thing was so as to preserve inter-generation compatibility. Since time during a playthrough is never actually specified ingame uniformly(like 2 years later etc.), FRLG's sevii island quest could even happen way after you became champion, pushing RSE later in the timeline. Even HGSSDPPt can be considered no longer simultaneously occuring(or sinnoh starting a bit after johto) imo, because the Gyarados thing was "retconned" in Platinum(though that's a stretch, I'll say that myself).

Besides, in gen 5, in Plasma's castle, one of the Grunts there mentions Team Rocket and Team Galactic as drawing too mucha ttention to their motives, and hence being defeated. Significantly, Aqua/Magma aren't mentioned. I take this is a hint that RSEmakes are a *possibility* this generation, as A/M were pretty big teams aswell.

Fans made the timeline, not GF. GF doesn't care about that, unlike the LoZ developers who apparently have a document which describes the exact Zelda timeline.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
OK, because this getting a bit off topic, which was my fault since I brought up the remake, let swing this back into Black and White 2.

Out of of all the thing we know about Black and White 2, what are you most excited the most about?

Personally I am excited about the story and new rival.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I feel like I've stumbled into a Zelda forum all of a sudden.

The timeline is unimportant. Although I don't agree with the sentiment "fans made the timeline, not GF." This timeline is based on actual facts in the game, not wild theories people made up. Professor Oak showing up in Sinnoh, Cynthia in Unova, Caitlin's age, the Lake of Rage, the evil teams, etc. True, there's not much connecting RSE to RGB, but the rest of it works out pretty well. Besides, I don't see how timeline would have any bearing on Game Freak's decision to make Hoenn remakes or not.

Flygon Master54

Ahh I'm back baby
I feel like I've stumbled into a Zelda forum all of a sudden.

The timeline is unimportant. Although I don't agree with the sentiment "fans made the timeline, not GF." This timeline is based on actual facts in the game, not wild theories people made up. Professor Oak showing up in Sinnoh, Cynthia in Unova, Caitlin's age, the Lake of Rage, the evil teams, etc. True, there's not much connecting RSE to RGB, but the rest of it works out pretty well. Besides, I don't see how timeline would have any bearing on Game Freak's decision to make Hoenn remakes or not.

Thay could easily make a remake. They could have an easy just trade connection (and just state that the union room could connect to some place in the past or some BS like that)

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
This is what I think the correct order is, in terms of timeline.

FRLG > HGSS > DPt > BW > RSE > BW2

I'm not going to order it based on release. I'm doing it based on all of the clues and what not. In RSE, we had the weather crisis with Kyogre and Groudon. I can't remember if they said it affected the whole world, or just Hoenn, but it would give Pokemon excuse to migrate, and would be easy for Water and Flying Pokemon to seek a new region since they could swim and fly there. Whatever is North of Unova, may have also caused migration due to the weather crisis since if it affected the world, maybe Pokemon were lacking shelter (since there are tons of caves and mountains and forests in the south) and headed to that area. They liked their surroundings so much, they bred there, and stayed. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part. :p

The timeline is highly intriguing to me. I honestly hope we get more clues in BW2. From the videos I've seen so far, it appears the look of the grass has changed, which is good because the way the grass looked was really lackluster.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
HGSS & DPt were confirmed to happen at the same point in time, and I believe it was implied that FRLG & RSE happen at the same time too.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
OK, because this getting a bit off topic, which was my fault since I brought up the remake, let swing this back into Black and White 2.

Out of of all the thing we know about Black and White 2, what are you most excited the most about?

Personally I am excited about the story and new rival.

We have to pick one thing? I can't. I'm literally excited about everything in these games. If someone said 'well I'll show you new gameplay footage, but it's just the character riding their bike against the wall for 5 straight minutes' I'd be like 'kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I get to see the character on a bike!? And maybe it'll be a wall in a NEW CITY -^___^-)

Grei

not the color
HGSS & DPt were confirmed to happen at the same point in time, and I believe it was implied that FRLG & RSE happen at the same time too.

We've been discussing for a while about how there's virtually no real basis behind the idea that FRLG and RSE happen at the same time. RSE doesn't really have a place on the timeline. It'd be better if we all just pretended it never existed

We have to pick one thing? I can't. I'm literally excited about everything in these games. If someone said 'well I'll show you new gameplay footage, but it's just the character riding their bike against the wall for 5 straight minutes' I'd be like 'kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I get to see the character on a bike!? And maybe it'll be a wall in a NEW CITY -^___^-)

Me too! These games get me pumped for fall.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon

Well someone is hyper today, not that I am any different since I watched the game play trailers about 20 times.

Ugh I so itching to play these game, that's it I am inventing a time machine see ya later.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I hope that some useless pkmn get some boost...movepool wise.If Eeevee is in the game,I hope there will be additions to the poor movepool of the eeveelutions,they suck.Unfezant needs better moves.Even Weavile[is Sneasel appears] lacks moves like Ice Punch.It's sucky.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I hope that some useless pkmn get some boost...movepool wise.If Eeevee is in the game,I hope there will be additions to the poor movepool of the eeveelutions,they suck.

Only Flareon "sucks" the rest are fine, you just don't know how to use them effectively.

Unfezant needs better moves.

I will give you that.

Even Weavile[is Sneasel appears] lacks moves like Ice Punch.It's sucky.

No, Weavile is fine and learns some great moves, it can also get Ice Punch by breeding.

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

Yeah most of us feel the same way.

Only Flareon "sucks" the rest are fine, you just don't know how to use them affectedly.
Let me help you with that
... you just don't know how to use them effectively

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.