• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Graphics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGirl41

I have an original 3DS that's still kicking and kept in pretty good shape, and I only had a few minor framerate drops in battles in the demo. However, it was nothing major or prolific, so I don't think it's going to bother me in the full version. Not any different from framerate drops I experienced in X/Y and OR/AS.

But overall, graphically-speaking, I am really liking the increase in background details, especially inside buildings. It gives a lot more life to the world and grounds it in reality (I especially liked looking around in the tourism building).

Giblie

Dragon Pokemon Fan
I'm playing on a regular 3DS and I did not experience any frame rate drops during the Totem Hakamo-o fight. It worked fine for me. Oh well, everyone has different experiences.

Anyway love the graphics! Can't wait to see the rest of the game!

I am also fine with the no 3D thing. I hardly used it anyway in X/Y and OR/AS. c:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The 3D in battles was really bad, it still looked 2d but with the UI a little "closer" to your eyes.

I disagree entirely. A lot of 3DS games suffer from the feeling that the UI is a little closer being the only real change, but I felt like Gen 6 games were some of the select few 3DS games that were better than that. It actually felt like the Pokemon themselves were 3D to me.

Was just decent in the few caves that used it so I'm not gonna miss it.

If you thought it was good there, just imagine it applied to the entire overworld of Sun and Moon with the upgraded overworld models, it would have been amazing. Major missed potential there.

If you thought it was good there, just imagine it applied to the entire overworld of Sun and Moon with the upgraded overworld models, it would have been amazing. Major missed potential there.
Missed potential isn't really a good way to describe it in my opinion. This interview makes it pretty clear that including extensive 3D support with the graphics they were going for wasn't realizable. Which is probably true since many people are still reporting significant frame rate drops, especially on the O3DS.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I would assume anyone not reporting framerate drops, especially on an OG model, just has no idea what they're talking about and/or what they ought to be looking for, btw. You don't get different performance on the same hardware; these are standardized handheld consoles, not PCs.

Missed potential isn't really a good way to describe it in my opinion. This interview makes it pretty clear that including extensive 3D support with the graphics they were going for wasn't realizable. Which is probably true since many people are still reporting significant frame rate drops, especially on the O3DS.

A lot of the angles, especially with the Trainer intros, make it seem like the removal of 3D came late in development. The game even has to reboot the OS on the OG model.

I can't help but feel like they were targeting stronger hardware (the New models, if not the NX) and had to downport for some reason. It certainly seems overly ambitious for the hardware that most people will play it on.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Hmm...I'm guess I'm glad they at least didn't decide it was a worthless feature and throw it out the window. Still, I would think they could at least still have left it in the battles.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Playing on an OG model, I can't really say I'm impressed with this game graphically. There's tons of framerate dips, clunky menus, and long load times. It's slow as molasses, and the forced camera perspectives make navigating the city area a chore.

I'd love to blame this on the obsolete hardware, but I've seen far better things done with it before, and not from Game Freak. Even on NX, I can't be confident that they'll be over this.

Haven't run into any real ones on my older 3DS's just yet. Other than a bit during battles. And the game itself resetting after getting out of it, like with Smash. I noticed a bit of drop in the same area with my N3DS too. But nothing too bad.

Sulfurian

this is better than xy

Almost 100% agree, only things that remain only slightly improved from 6th gen are the pokemon models themselves, for example the amount of detail given to Totem Kamoo-o and the transition to the actual battle was beautiful.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
I find myself getting visually worn out a little more with this gen due to how the perspective keeps changing wildly while still not having 360° all around camera possibilities. The battle screen also seems a little more frilled up than XY, it takes me longer to figure out at a glance what everything does.

I suppose I'll get used to it once I've had the chance to play it a few hours in a row though.

I get the impression they really optimized the design to work on the bigger 3DSes though, on my small one it looks borderline cramped.

BlitzGirl41

I find myself getting visually worn out a little more with this gen due to how the perspective keeps changing wildly while still not having 360° all around camera possibilities. The battle screen also seems a little more frilled up than XY, it takes me longer to figure out at a glance what everything does.

I suppose I'll get used to it once I've had the chance to play it a few hours in a row though.

I get the impression they really optimized the design to work on the bigger 3DSes though, on my small one it looks borderline cramped.

Nintendo and game stores have really been pushing the XL lately, especially with the special S/M 3DS being specifically an XL. Which is really a crappy move for those of us who a) have small hands and b) want to retain the portability that the original 3DS has offered.

scififan21

I haven't really noticed any frame rates drops on my New 3DS, but I might just be one of the lucky few. I never play with the 3D on so I don't mind not having it in game. Personally I love the look of everything in the demo.

Owl City

Need help.

First of all, Im surprised that no one had Owl City as they nickname... this is a sad world... But well, I have a question for those playing Sun and Moon demo on a 3DS XL o New XL, do you see any kind of... poor grpahics? im playing right now on a 2DS because a friend told me that it will have no differences between a XL screen and a 2Ds one... but, you tell me, it doeas have any big differences on the models? i can barely see trainer faces in battle, and the rival pokemon looks too blurry in my opinion, also my mother eyes look pixelated, and clouds too... so please, tell me a bit more about this if you can and want to... maybe the demo has lower graphics than our final game?

Edit> i loved this, well, almost everything....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxQXwwURPY&feature=youtu.be
check it out.

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I'm very glad trainers get their own models and appear in battle, believe me. And i understand it's still 3ds generation, but somehow I was hoping for smoother graphics.. impossible, I know. I feel like in the demo I saw blatantly pixelated graphics very often for things that shouldn't have been.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm very glad trainers get their own models and appear in battle, believe me. And i understand it's still 3ds generation, but somehow I was hoping for smoother graphics.. impossible, I know. I feel like in the demo I saw blatantly pixelated graphics very often for things that shouldn't have been.

I like that too. It was overdue, not being able to see character animations for non-important characters always made their battles feel so dull in XY and ORAS.

Baggie_Saiyan

Wow. So I popped in Y and wooow the difference is startling first and foremost the trainer models in Gen 6 looks so chibi now it's hilarious man wasn't expecting the difference to be that huge I just wanted to go back and play Moon haha

Wow. So I popped in Y and wooow the difference is startling first and foremost the trainer models in Gen 6 looks so chibi now it's hilarious man wasn't expecting the difference to be that huge I just wanted to go back and play Moon haha

I remember I didn't go on the internet much for a few days when I played Moon, and when I went back on YouTube and saw a piece of Gen 6 gameplay I literally almost laughed. The difference is so extreme. However, I actually rather like both styles!

ItsMeBrandon

After playing through Moon obsessively until I beat it, I went back to my AlphaSapphire to prepare some Pokémon to send over come the eventual January update to the Bank, and wow, the difference is kind of jarring. Especially the character models.

I'd say that Gen 7 has pretty great-looking graphics, but the biggest issue for me personally- well, besides any frame rate drops that people seem to be talking about, I didn't really notice any- is that Game Freak designed a lot of models and backgrounds to be viewed from afar, yet a lot of in-game cutscenes zoom in close enough to the models such that the pixels are pretty visible. I would think that they'd account for that sort of thing.

I'll say the animations for characters are great, especially at the start of a battle. They have just the right "flow," in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that Sun and Moon probably have the most expressive characters I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.