• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Mechanics - Discussion/Speculation Thread

TRNRLogan

Better idea, let's just have Shadow Pokemon. No tedious gimmicks, just Shadow Pokemon
While we're at it how about Colosseum 3. The shadow pokemon could even be most of the currently unavailable ones.

scififan21

I just don't want a stupid gimmick really was not a fan of Z-Moves or Dynamax really they were just tedious or in the case of Z-Moves took way toooo long to finish.

Ultra Beast Lover

Like what, Pokémon battles on motorcycles? We have a whole region this gen to race across, so that "could" be a thing.
I know you're joking but I'd be up for it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah, being sarcastic here. "Stupid gimmick" got brought up, so I had to meme about it. Especially since we have ride Pokémon and open world now.

Well battling atop Ride Pokemon isn't such a bad idea actually. They probably won't do motorcycles (although they could certainly bring back the Biker trainer class to battle against), but Ride Pokemon would be more in the spirit of Pokemon for that idea and that could be fun. They could make it kind of like the Flying segments in Ranger: Guardian Signs where Pokemon attacks could create obstacles for you to dodge.

Then again, maybe that gimmick is better saved for another Legends game, that would fit those mechanics a little better.

scififan21

Well honestly I just want good game design/story they could have no 'gimmicks' and I would be completely happy. The only thing I love is following Pokemon and changing outfits. I mean following Pokemon that can keep up with you BTW.

treatyofversigh

While I don’t really mind gimmicks, it did bother me that in the Isle of Armor DLC, your Pokémon couldn’t keep up sometimes :/ Thought that was done better in BDSP. Totally different look obviously, but usually your Pokémon (or at least the ones I had) could keep up.

I just hope whatever gimmick they come up with, since it feels inevitable, doesn’t require making your Pokémon hold an item. That’s why I wasn’t a big fan of Z-moves. Liked mega evolution more, but mostly I just liked the cool form changes, so they got more of a pass from me about the held item.

PCN24454

One Mechanic I'd like is something to enable access to evolution items. A lot of items end up as post-game only or very limited in many games and I think that is quite a limiting factor. I'd like things like Fire stones and Razor Claws to be easily accessible. I'm not sure what the best method would be but I'm sure it could be done.
That would just cause players to evolve their Pokémon too quickly. Generation VIII already made evolution insanely trivial as is.
I just don't want a stupid gimmick really was not a fan of Z-Moves or Dynamax really they were just tedious or in the case of Z-Moves took way toooo long to finish.
I love them. They added a sense of grandeur that was to be expected from a JRPG yet Pokémon was for some reason lacking it for a long time.

ShadowForce720

I hope they keep Shadow Pokémon to spin offs. I couldn't get invested into the Orre games and a big part of that was because of them.
Well if they did bring Shadow Pokémon to the main series then I think it would be kind of neat if they introduced naturally occurring Shadow type Pokémon.

By this I mean Pokémon that are just naturally Shadow type.

PCN24454

Well if they did bring Shadow Pokémon to the main series then I think it would be kind of neat if they introduced naturally occurring Shadow type Pokémon.

If that were the case, then they probably wouldn’t be Shadow Pokémon aka Pokémon that were explicitly corrupted.

Besides, the Purification process could be tedious for hardcore players.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you

I would actually just rather them tie this in with a cool celebratory thing.

“In celebration of the anniversary of the release of XD please enjoy this special Lugia that resembles Shadow Lugia”

I think that’s the only way I’d accept shadow Pokémon in the main series

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Ehh, that wouldn't make much sense. The whole concept behind Shadow Pokemon are that they're Pokemon that are mistreated, so they really can't be naturally occurring, Shadow Pokemon in lore are only created when a trainer abuses them.

Ultra Beast Lover

I would actually just rather them tie this in with a cool celebratory thing.

“In celebration of the anniversary of the release of XD please enjoy this special Lugia that resembles Shadow Lugia”

I think that’s the only way I’d accept shadow Pokémon in the main series
Well some legendaries apparently have alternate forms so it's possible.

Anything to have something from the Orre games. Not only because I love them but because I miss playing with Colosseum

scififan21

I have never played the Orre games never had a gamecube until I moved in with my BF. XD I hear they are good might try to pick one up if I can find one that isn't stupid expensive.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

I'd rather they keep all aspects of the Orre games out of the main series. Shadow sounds redundant with Dark and, to a lesser extent, Ghost already existing.

scififan21

Well they could always do a 'Shadow Pokemon' thing just make it an alternate design/color scheme somewhat like Shinies or Alphas perhaps? I mean I doubt it would happen but that is just an idea they do manage to surprise us sometimes.