• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Mechanics - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Luthor

So I mentioned this in the gym thread, but a lot of people have been joking about being able to have motorcycle battles like Yu-gi-oh 5D's, but thinking about it, I don't think this is all that crazy an idea to have a gimmick battle style which takes place while riding a Pokemon and I'm wondering if they're seriously considering something like that. It's not at all that uncommon for action games to have more mobile battles that involve the player chasing/being chased by an enemy (in particular, you see this quite frequently for bosses in Sonic the Hedgehog games). They could potentially have you engage in turn based battles while you're running through the open world, possibly even adding attacks that serve as obstacles in the overworld for you to dodge in sort of an LA style. It'd also be somewhat of an evolution of what they did in Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs with some of the sky chase segments on Staraptor and later Latios/Latias (and in fact one of the most memorable parts of that game IMO was where you were trying to reach an island called Mt. Layuda where Zapdos was, but it was protected by constant thunderstorms, so when you went there for the first time there was a section where you were riding Latios/Latias and continuously dodging thunderbolts as you made your way to the island). That could actually be pretty intense and fun.

Its certainly possible. Part of me wonders if its less to do with the actual battles but more the pre-gym challenges. I could see a possibility of you having to either beat an opponent to qualify for one gym, but another you have to complete a time trial, in another you have to act a delivery driver and drop off items. That way they could have lots of different trials but all themed around transport.

Noy

"Trainer! You have come to challenge me in Honorable Battle! But first, you must prove your worth by tackling the most grueling of tests... Customer Service!"

Luthor

"Trainer! You have come to challenge me in Honorable Battle! But first, you must prove your worth by tackling the most grueling of tests... Customer Service!"

In fairness previous tests have included- searching through bins to find a switch, herding sheep, being on a game show and being shot out of a cannon. Not to mention so many ice puzzles. Who knows what they will do this time?

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Orphalesion

That just says you’d like a different franchise.

Japanese games don’t really do that sort of thing.
There's heaps of Japanese games with "dark" storylines.

Now, personally I don't really want a "dark" Pokémon game (Legends Was "dark" enough for this franchise for me) but Japanese games definitely do "that sort of thing"

Ultra Beast Lover

That just says you’d like a different franchise.

Japanese games don’t really do that sort of thing.
Um have you never played/watched a playthrough of a Tales or Xenoblade game? Those get dark all the time. The Tales games have discussed slavery, had people literally melt into a liquid in front of us, had a girl sleep in the same house as her daddy's corpse without her realizing it because of this parasite that was becoming an evolved parasite for the sake of the "chosen one". And the Xenoblade games have had people get skewered left and right, one count of child slavery, and things I can't tell you because spoilers.

Legends, the Mystery Dungeon Games, Colosseum, and Gale of Darkness are as dark as Pokemon is willing to get and I'm ok with that. I don't need the characters to swear all the time, to have a bunch of blood and gore, or to cover the ultra intense stuff. Yeah, kids should be exposed to some stories that are more mature and make them think and a bit of violence without the graphic stuff is fine, but obviously there's a limit to the target demographic ability to understand certain things. Besides, despite the dark stuff, Pokemon tends to try and stay as light as possible, it'd be weird if we had an M rated Pokemon game, at worst a game will be E10+

Orphalesion

I do want more of an evil team taking over the world, urgent feel to the storyline though. Last time we had that, really, was in Black & White and the last few generations of games have been rather more cutesy.
Yeah if you think about it Gen 1 was probably one of the darkest, since Team Rocket was pretty much the Yakuza, poached Pokemon (which they then sold to you through their "games corner") took over an office tower, holding its workers hostage and such, you even met the restless ghost of a Pokemon they murdered. They might not have had plans to destroy the world, but it was a "close to reality" kind of evil.

I wonder how'd a situation where the evil team actually takes over would be handled though.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think Game Freak wants to go as dark as Colosseum/XD anymore. They seem to like Pokemon being happy sunshine fairy tale land for the most part. The only exception is with the villains enacting some kind of supernatural apocalyptic scenario (and even then, they're starting to trend towards the villains reforming after the crisis is over), but other than that they generally seem to like these plots being as lighthearted as possible with relatively non-threatening villains that cause problems for sympathetic reasons. I don't think they like the idea of players being an evil team member, even a former one, and doing morally complex things like stealing other people's Pokemon because they've been corrupted. It's sad, I liked Colosseum and XD too, but it doesn't seem like they want to go in that direction anymore.

PCN24454

Um have you never played/watched a playthrough of a Tales or Xenoblade game? Those get dark all the time. The Tales games have discussed slavery, had people literally melt into a liquid in front of us, had a girl sleep in the same house as her daddy's corpse without her realizing it because of this parasite that was becoming an evolved parasite for the sake of the "chosen one". And the Xenoblade games have had people get skewered left and right, one count of child slavery, and things I can't tell you because spoilers.

Legends, the Mystery Dungeon Games, Colosseum, and Gale of Darkness are as dark as Pokemon is willing to get and I'm ok with that. I don't need the characters to swear all the time, to have a bunch of blood and gore, or to cover the ultra intense stuff. Yeah, kids should be exposed to some stories that are more mature and make them think and a bit of violence without the graphic stuff is fine, but obviously there's a limit to the target demographic ability to understand certain things. Besides, despite the dark stuff, Pokemon tends to try and stay as light as possible, it'd be weird if we had an M rated Pokemon game, at worst a game will be E10+
Yeah, but you never actually played as a genuine bad guy as you would in American games. Most Japanese games actively bar you from that.

I was pointing out how they would never let a character be part of an evil team AND actually have them being evil.

ShadowForce720

I don't think Game Freak wants to go as dark as Colosseum/XD anymore. They seem to like Pokemon being happy sunshine fairy tale land for the most part. The only exception is with the villains enacting some kind of supernatural apocalyptic scenario (and even then, they're starting to trend towards the villains reforming after the crisis is over), but other than that they generally seem to like these plots being as lighthearted as possible with relatively non-threatening villains that cause problems for sympathetic reasons. I don't think they like the idea of players being an evil team member, even a former one, and doing morally complex things like stealing other people's Pokemon because they've been corrupted. It's sad, I liked Colosseum and XD too, but it doesn't seem like they want to go in that direction anymore.
Just pointing this out but Gamefreak was not the one to create Pokémon Colosseum/XD. Gamefreak has only been responsible for creating or helping to create the main series games. Pokémon Colosseum/XD are considered spin-off games and where made by a different company.

So whether we get a remake or continuation of Pokémon Colosseum/XD or a game similar to it has nothing to do with what Gamefreak plans on doing for their games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just pointing this out but Gamefreak was not the one to create Pokémon Colosseum/XD. Gamefreak has only been responsible for creating or helping to create the main series games. Pokémon Colosseum/XD are considered spin-off games and where made by a different company.

So whether we get a remake or continuation of Pokémon Colosseum/XD or a game similar to it has nothing to do with what Gamefreak plans on doing for their games.

I'm aware, yes. I'm saying that Game Freak and TPC would not want the game to be as dark as Genius Sonority made it.

Baggie_Saiyan

Yeah if you think about it Gen 1 was probably one of the darkest, since Team Rocket was pretty much the Yakuza, poached Pokemon (which they then sold to you through their "games corner") took over an office tower, holding its workers hostage and such, you even met the restless ghost of a Pokemon they murdered. They might not have had plans to destroy the world, but it was a "close to reality" kind of evil.

I wonder how'd a situation where the evil team actually takes over would be handled though.
And the follow up to this? Takeover a radio tower in another region and hope their old boss comes back lol

keithpetrosky

I still don’t know why anyone thinks a darker plot game isn’t possible.

No Nintendo game had you play as the villain in Pokémon. Sure it won’t be blood and guts, but if the game requires you battling weaker trainers to steal Pokémon to bring the team rocket boss to gain money and power that’s dark but not something kids or older ages wouldn’t play.
Anything is possible with games these days, and new spins on games keeps players interested. I for a fact know about 50 players of various ages who want a game where you play as team rocket. Being a hero all the time can get boring after a while because we all know in Pokémon games the end is always where you solve the storyline and become a hero, very predictable.

PCN24454

I still don’t know why anyone thinks a darker plot game isn’t possible.

No Nintendo game had you play as the villain in Pokémon. Sure it won’t be blood and guts, but if the game requires you battling weaker trainers to steal Pokémon to bring the team rocket boss to gain money and power that’s dark but not something kids or older ages wouldn’t play.
Anything is possible with games these days, and new spins on games keeps players interested. I for a fact know about 50 players of various ages who want a game where you play as team rocket. Being a hero all the time can get boring after a while because we all know in Pokémon games the end is always where you solve the storyline and become a hero, very predictable.
Because even Yakuza expects you to play a good guy.

There’s no way that Pokémon will have you play a villain.