• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Mechanics - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
You know, reading the article, I think Terastalize can possibly be the most interesting gimmick so far, since it can potentially change a pokémon a lot without being a broken powerup that trivilizes anything that is not using it:

Also I like they gave the extra STAB for when a pokémon Terastalize to the same type they already have, meaning that Terastalizing (this name though, geez) to a different type is not inherently better (you get to surprise your enemy by completely changing your weaknesses and resistances, but you don't get the extra STAB)

EDIT: Oooooh... Mega Evolution, Gigantamax, Teralize. huh.

EDIT2:
Another interesting thing in those articles is that while the article about Raid Battles mention that you need a Switch Online account to play raids in multiplayer, the article about co-op doesn't mention that for trades and for "walking along others", only says you need an internet connection.
If you don't need Switch Online to trade then I am definitely in.

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I think I like the concept of Terastilzing. The crown transformations look cool and there’s potential for variety in competitive play.

Most of all I’m glad to see raids return and improved upon.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Terastilzing...meh can't feel one way another, some cool and cute designs could come from it but it's just a type change power-up? Hidden Power 3.0?

Looks really uninspired thematically. Gimmicks have burned me out, they add them and then remove next gen. Same pattern and song and dance, just feels empty at this point.

Literal Kirby hats.

Why can't Pokemon progress its mechanics?

Last edited:

Dared3v0

Just have fun
Terastilzing...meh can't feel one way another, some cool and cute designs could come from it but it's just a type change power-up? Hidden Power 3.0?

Looks really uninspired thematically. Gimmicks have burned me out, they add them and then remove next gen. Same pattern and song and dance, just feels empty at this point.

Literal Kirby hats.

Why can't Pokemon progress its mechanics?
I just told my friend the same thing and they looked at me confused. They really made hidden power the gimmick

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I just told my friend the same thing and they looked at me confused. They really made hidden power the gimmick
Can you really blame GameFreak? They could release a game called Pokémon Right and Left and it would sell like hot cakes. The graphics are mad mid in our holy year of 2022, this new mechanic is lazy (It looks good on Lilligant and natural but looks terrible on Springato so it doesn’t seem they even bothered to scale these to each model) it’s just gaudy and feels like a carry over of the Illumina phenomenon from New Pokémon Snap. It reminds me of how the Normal Z-Move specifically had a static model that looked unnatural on many Pokémon.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Interesting that the battle against Grusha didn't show the Pokemon's level.

I also love that the Pokedex is arranged like a bookshelf and each Pokemon uses a beautiful postcard for a picture.

The Terastal mechanic is okay, I guess. The "crowns" also look stupid and amazing at the same time.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Ok so it seems Pokemon have Tera types assigned to them. What if Pokemon Evolves into a different type? E.g. Eevee becomes Espeon? Does the type stay normal or changes to Psychic?

Baggie_Saiyan

Its not like you are forced to use those new Gimmicks.
None of the Gimmicks so far had been the type that forces you to use them.
You can still utilise the Basics gameplay style without any issue and relying on the gimmicks.
Some pokemon fans for you. Constantly complaining about how "easy" games are but then don't do anything like have self imposed level caps etc and go into gyms over levelled spam super effective moves and then complain how easy it was etc then praise rom hacks when they have these forced functions when one can literally do it themselves that is why Pokemon doesn't need level difficultly you can make it as easy and hard as you like.

If there was no gimmick this gen then you just know people would be complaining about GF being "lazy". GF are in a no win situation with this toxic online fanbase...

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Will they ever stop creating "gimmick of the gen" for each new one? I just don't see the point. Megas have died. Z-moves have died. Dynamaxing has died. And this will die too come Gen 10.

Just make actual new mechanics that will stay for all future games....

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Will they ever stop creating "gimmick of the gen" for each new one? I just don't see the point. Megas have died. Z-moves have died. Dynamaxing has died. And this will die too come Gen 10.

Just make actual new mechanics that will stay for all future games....

The point is to get you to buy every new generation with something flashy that looks "cool". If the gimmick is only in this generation, well then you have to buy the game to experience that gimmick instead of saying "meh... I'll just wait until next gen and it'll just be in that game". Permanent mechanics don't sell as well as planned obsolescent gimmicks.

Akashin

Does anyone buy new pokemon games for the new gimmick mechanics tho? Who? Seriously. Who.
Do you not buy new games (Pokemon or otherwise) to have a new experience? New gimmicks are another way of achieving that, no?

Now, my personal preference would be expansion and refinement of existing mechanics over the abandonment of them in favor of new mechanics. But regardless, new mechanics do achieve the exact effect Bolt the Cat said.

Nave

The new video basically sold me on Terastalizing.
Didn't really realize til now, but having different Tera types differentiates it from Dynamax--and adds incentive to keep playing--because you actually have to seek out rare Tera types.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I really didn’t like the new mechanic at first, and I still am not the biggest fan of it’s design, but from a gameplay perspective it seems to be much more fun than Z-Moves and Dynamax (though I don’t want to jinx it).

It only changes the type and gives access to a new Stab move with Tera Blast, so it doesn’t seem broken at all. It’s like a last resort ace to counter a specific threat or to save a Pokémon from an unfavorable match-up.

Compared to all other gimmicks, this is really a very minor change and one where the pros don’t outweigh the cons.

Of course I don’t want to celebrate too early, especially with the rumored Paradox forms still not being confirmed, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Lilligantastic

I really didn’t like the new mechanic at first, and I still am not the biggest fan of it’s design, but from a gameplay perspective it seems to be much more fun than Z-Moves and Dynamax (though I don’t want to jinx it).

It only changes the type and gives access to a new Stab move with Tera Blast, so it doesn’t seem broken at all. It’s like a last resort ace to counter a specific threat or to save a Pokémon from an unfavorable match-up.

Compared to all other gimmicks, this is really a very minor change and one where the pros don’t outweigh the cons.

Of course I don’t want to celebrate too early, especially with the rumored Paradox forms still not being confirmed, but I’m cautiously optimistic.
Re: the last paragraph - please put leaked content in spoiler tags - some of us are trying to avoid the leaks.

Noy

Is that a new game-mode? when you raid the team Star camp, it seems you enter a special combat mode where your mons auto-fight hordes of enemies?

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Is that a new game-mode? when you raid the team Star camp, it seems you enter a special combat mode where your mons auto-fight hordes of enemies?
Not sure if just kept there, we see the trainer command a Cyclizar to fight in the same way in the wild.

Noy

website notes it's a new feature called "let's Go" that can be used on the field.