• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Mechanics - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

Noy

if overworld shinnies (you know it's a shiny before you engage it for battle) are a thing; just be careful not to auto battle it.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'll mainly do the Let's go feature when doing the base raids, assuming we can still fight while our Pokemon fight. I'll look into what types they use then have whichever is strong against that type go nuts on the enemy. I want to see that chaos unfold.

Sponge

I’m scared to do the Let’s Go feature. I might knock out a few shinies that way.

It would be cool if the auto battle feature would automatically alert you if it encounters a shiny Pokemon. (and your Pokemon stops auto battling)

That seems like the kind of thing Gamefreak would overlook though. Hopefully I'm wrong.

if overworld shinnies (you know it's a shiny before you engage it for battle) are a thing; just be careful not to auto battle it.

It seems like your Pokemon goes off on it's own auto battling Pokemon, so you'd need to be constantly monitoring your Pokemon in that case. (which kinda seems like it defeats the whole point of the feature)

Nave

I'm unsure about the Let's Go feature. I think it's a cool addition, but what prevents your Pokémon from getting knocked out in battle?

scififan21

Maybe it returns with one HP like if you lose a Raid Battle back in SwSh? Didn't that happen I might be misremebering though been awhile since I've done any raid battles.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm quite excited for the Auto Battle feature. It'll make one hell of a way to train pokemon, as well as allow me to search for items or other pokemon I need.

My only questions are these:

1. How far can you walk away from your pokemon?
2. Can you catch pokemon during Auto Battle?
3. What determines the odds of victory during Auto Battle?

I'm sure stats and typing play a role in the outcome of battles, but I'd like to see a more comprehensive breakdown, so I know how to properly train my pokemon.

Ultra Beast Lover

It'll be kinda like how in the anime, whenever Ash and friends used to break into the evil organization base, they'd send out their Pokemon and have them just mow down the grunts. It's gonna be a time saver, that's for sure. Assuming, of course, that the AI can handle it.

I am wondering about the move selection, though. I assume that the AI won't employ a whole lot of strategy, it'll probably just use super effective/ its most powerful moves.

Vini310

There's a rom hack out there (I won't mention the name) that has a system similar to this "Let's Go!":
When you find a wild Pokémon, the game tells you that the Pokémon appeared, show it's name and sprite, and gives you 4 options:
- Engage (regular battle)
- Ignore (run button, without starting the battle)
- Auto (the first Pokémon in your team battles the wild Pokémon)
- Catch (chooses a Poké Ball, automatically catches the Pokémon)
Of course, you can change how catching works (there are lots of difficulty settings).

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Is there any word on how breeding will work?
Kind of.

Traditional breeding is not in the game, as in no daycares/nurseries/breeding institutes. However the new Pokemon interaction mechanic, more or less referred to as Poke-Picnics by fans will allow you to interact and feed your Pokemon like in Pokemon Camp. Doing so may reward the player with eggs (again we don't have details on how you get eggs or how overall breeding/egg moves work). Eggs in these games are handled more like Pokemon Go eggs. They are placed in an incubator and you have to wait a certain amount of time (at this moment there is no confirmation on speeding up the process be it running around or with egg hatching abilities)

Xanhawk

Was going to make a thread for this discussion, but saw this one and thought maybe I should just post in here since it's a gameplay thread.

What Pokemon do you think will get some interesting boosts with the Terastal mechanic? I've seen many argue Shedinja's capability to break the mechanic since it's a fairly broken Pokemon if you set it up correctly. But what about other Pokemon? I know we don't know a lot on how certain abilities and moves are affected or affect Tera types like Burn Up and Roost, but some Pokemon could see some interesting use.

Like Dhelmise. A Pokemon that potentially has 4 STAB options with Terastallizing, even if you choose to augment Grass/Ghost it still gets Three STAB choices with it's ability. If its Ability stacks with Terastallizing, then we have a potential x2 Boost to Steel moves as well. Wonder what others think would be interesting Pokemon under Terastallizing.

falconlord

Durn.

Ah well. I'll survive.

I'm just hoping I can get an Ice-type before the end of the game...