• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Mechanics - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Does anyone know if these new Tera Raid bosses have unique debuffs like sword and shield?

DannyDark

I really hope that gym leaders are smart about their teracrystalisation. Like, we know that Brassius can turn his Sudowoodo into a Grass type. However, if it's up against a Fuecoco for example, it would make much more sense to keep it as Rock, whereas Quaxly and Sprigatito would warrant the change, at least resistance-wise.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
I really hope that gym leaders are smart about their teracrystalisation. Like, we know that Brassius can turn his Sudowoodo into a Grass type. However, if it's up against a Fuecoco for example, it would make much more sense to keep it as Rock, whereas Quaxly and Sprigatito would warrant the change, at least resistance-wise.
I think that these are pre-programmed.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
no man, all gyms terastailze one Pokemon that isn't their type specialty into their type specialty.

So Sudowoodo to grass type is the norm.

Aurelesk

I wonder if they are going to change some banned mechanics in some competitive metagames. For example, the Sleep Clause could be abandoned if the Drowsy mechanic is introduced instead.

But what about other clauses. Let's talk about banned abilities like Shadow Tag / Arena Trap or Moody. How Gamefreak could update those abilities to be unbanned, while remaining interesting?

For Shadow Tag / Arena Trap, I think it is more the strategy around setting yourself up against a Pokémon that cannot do anything or the non-fun Struggle game, and less the revenge-killing. One way to change the ability is to either prevent the Pokémon from switching out / flee on the first turn only, or the ability could act like the deleted "Pursuit" move: When the opposing Pokémon is switching out, your Pokémon uses its move immediately before it is switched out.
Wobbuffet would probably need a new ability if the "Pursuit" variant is chosen.

For Moody, I think the ability has 2-3 problems. It is both unreliable and yet, potentially too powerful, while enacting non-fun stalling game in order to gain those stats. I think Moody should change in behavior. Instead of decreasing a stat's stage at random, it should decrease the one that raised the last turn. If you had +2 Speed last turn, you will have -1 Speed next turn. It means that a same stat cannot raise two turns in a row (getting +2 Attack and -1 Attack would be weird), and also means Moody will have no stat drop on the first turn (since no stat raised last turn). This would prevent both being too unlucky (having 2 or 3 Defense drop in a row), or too lucky (gaining only Speed / Attack boost while losing Special Attack on a physical sweeper).
If the ability is still too powerful after that, I don't really know what to do. Either remove the Speed increase from the ability (it used to increase Evasion and Accuracy), or worst, give a -2 stage drop instead of -1 (meaning you will have only +2 stage at once from the ability).

Pokefan_1987

Has it been confirmed if the Tera Raids and Titan bosses offer NPC assistance or is the player alone if you have no nintendo subscription.

Haven't gotten to the school but i'm doing a lot of research.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Has it been confirmed if the Tera Raids and Titan bosses offer NPC assistance or is the player alone if you have no nintendo subscription.

Haven't gotten to the school but i'm doing a lot of research.

Terra raids have NPC helpers and they seem to be smarter than the swsh ones.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Question: are there boss battles where dodging is crucial, like in Legends: Arceus? This mechanic is so problematic for me (I'm disabled) that I'll most likely skip Scarlet/Violet if it's present.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Question: are there boss battles where dodging is crucial, like in Legends: Arceus? This mechanic is so problematic for me (I'm disabled) that I'll most likely skip Scarlet/Violet if it's present.
Battles in SV follow the classical pokémon style of "pokémon x pokémon choosing one move per turn". Battles where the trainer is directly involved, is attacked and need to dodge are exclusive to PLA.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Does the abilities "Wind Power" & "Wind Rider" negate the forced switching effect of "Whirlwind" and the passive damage from "Sandstorm"? (i would like to think that they negate them)

shadowF

Anyone heard that there's a chance we can possibly ride the Parados Suicune and Virizion when DLC arrives? There's a theory that came up on 4chan that says with the descriptions of the legendaries being big and that they look rideable as well.

Could possibly happen.

Barrysun

Sad to know that "Synchronize" ability doesn't affect the Nature of wild Pokémons anymore.
I know, one of the biggest disappointments i have with this game. I hope in a future update they'll fix this and put it back in, I always have a Synchronize whenever I want to hunt for a Pokémon like a legendary.

CiciStormy

Living Rotomdex
For everyone in this forum whining about how bad Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are, I am leaving a link to a video explaining why Game Freak had to ship these games with such a glitchy state. It's a video about why companies ship buggy games and it's not defending buggy games, but explains why companies like Game Freak can't ship a game without some issues. I know this probably won't make the haters stop hating, but at least this video gives an explanation as to why haters gotta hate and hopefully gets people to empathize with Game Freak as they hurriedly throw out patches. PS: Patch 1.1.0 is coming out this afternoon and it promises to fix some issues.

Pokefan_1987

I have a guess why Terrastalize might not be allowed in most competitive formats like Smogon.

Unpredictability
With 18 Elemental types including dual types makes it difficult to guess what element the players have chosen.
Did player A choose Steel to protect a pokemon like Gardevoir against Poison moves or Flying to protect Gengar against Earthquake?
or did player A choose type for STAB boost or correctly guess what player B might have on his/her team?

Copley Hill Gym

I know, one of the biggest disappointments i have with this game. I hope in a future update they'll fix this and put it back in, I always have a Synchronize whenever I want to hunt for a Pokémon like a legendary.

But you can literally get nature affecting mints really easily in this game. Like every 5* tera raid yields at least one or two. I have a full set after a couple of days of grinding tera raids out.