• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel.

I watched the trailer again and noticed something. In the forest the MC does a 90º turn lol. I think we're still stuck with 4 directions in a fully 3D game.

Flame Mistress

I have a feeling X and Y will be doing something big. Odds are that they didn't just hype the hell out of these games just because "OMG 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!". There's probably going to be doing something way more revolutionary with these games.

I hope that "big thing" is "a storyline with actual plot twists and feels".

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I have a feeling X and Y will be doing something big. Odds are that they didn't just hype the hell out of these games just because "OMG 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!". There's probably going to be doing something way more revolutionary with these games.

Then shouldnt they have put that in the trailer. I dont know. I think 3d deserves this kinda hype. I mean, it was due from dppt

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Based on the trailer i would assume that we would be having a Ghost/Dark, Bug and a Fire gym in this region

Psychic/Ghost/Dark. Bug is definitely a gym, and the fire room may be too big to just be a room in a gym, I think it may be an E4 room. And then there was the big tree.. Which may end up being a Grass-type gym? In any case, it gave me Zelda vibes..

they HAVE to let you transfer pokemon. The reason the first gen couldnt transfer to second gen is because they got a completely new system, new cartridges and new mechanics. I doubt they will change the tried and true mechanics of now, and dissapoint countless fans by not letting you transfer. Not only that, the system has essentially stayed the same (still DS) and the game cartridges are pretty much excactly the same. I would definitely expect old pokemon to be transferable.

You mean between the second and third gen? First and second gen were intercompatible..

I really would like to see how they would showcase a missed attack during battle, hope doesn't just pop up a message saying that the attack was missed and rather show the pokemon dodging the attack in it's own distinct way.

They don't really say that it misses anymore, it's always that the opponent dodges. I think this will be consistent.. I think the opponent will just move a few steps. It will make it more real life though, that's for sure.

I wonder if the side-quest might involve fashion somehow? With the speculation that you can customize your character, and Paris being a big place for fashion, I could see them doing something like Pokemon Fashion Shows or something?

Pokemon: Turning queerer by the generation.. Contests, Musicals, now fashion shows? I never set a foot further in PokeMusicals then I had to.. Never went back.. Worthless addition.

Upon watching the trailer video I simply LOVED the graphic. Humans/scenarios seem so realisc! Fantastic!

The 'humans' looked like Mii's.. Not impressed..

JTrainer

Pokemon SwordMaster
I really hope that RNG mechanics will still work with these games. I don't want to have to go back to hatching 50 or so eggs a day just to get a "decent" IVed pokemon.

I suppose this means that a gen 5 stadium game is out of the question. I'm looking forward to new moves, abilities, and type combinations though. And that Y version legendary looks awesome!

Flame Mistress

Could the "big change" be replacing Gym Badges with something else entirely? Like, artifacts needed to, uh, save the world? Or is that way too big of an overhaul?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I swear if Game Freak doesn't make a Dark type gym I will not be a happy bunny.

So... why are people still complaining about it being on the 3DS?

I think that it mostly stem from the fact that they either don't want to buy a 3DS or can't buy one at the current time.

Still a pointless excuse though since whenever Nintendo release a new handheld a Pokémon is surely to be release for the system.

I watched the trailer again and noticed something. In the forest the MC does a 90º turn lol. I think we're still stuck with 4 directions in a fully 3D game.

Yeah I noticed that as well, I am starting to think that Game Freak themselves walk in 4 directions... Eh doesn't bother me since complaining about how the Main character walks would be like complaining how the grass looks.

Last edited:

Mokepon22

I personally want the Poketch back, even if that was a DPPt exclusive, what with introducing the concept of touch screens and all. I hope something similar is present here, too.

On another note, so... no Pokemon following you... again. ;_;

They could have a thing that is both the Poketch & C-Gear...keeping the communicating feature of C-Gear while adding the little apps like Berry Searcher(if planting berries returns) & Day Care Checker

Lol the Pokemon following you would be awesome in this new 3D environment

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I hope that "big thing" is "a storyline with actual plot twists and feels".

You mean like what BW1 did? Yeah, that's real revolutionary.

I REALLY hope there's trainer customization!

Take this with a grain of salt, but when the male character is looking in the mirror at the beginning of the trailer, he's wearing sunglasses, but he's not in the overworld. That could be an indication of trainer customization.

Then shouldnt they have put that in the trailer. I dont know. I think 3d deserves this kinda hype. I mean, it was due from dppt

Not necessarily. They gave us enough in the trailer to get excited about and they may want us to keep coming back for more.

Axel.

Yeah I noticed that as well, I am starting to think that Game Freak themselves walk in 4 directions... Eh doesn't bother me since complaining about how the Main character walks would be likecomplaining how the grass looks.

360º movement alone doesn't add much but together with camera control, a huge region and lots of free roaming would make the game much more immersive and fun. Just imagine the hours we could spend exploring caves, islands, volcanic regions, forests *_*

Last edited:
Could the "big change" be replacing Gym Badges with something else entirely? Like, artifacts needed to, uh, save the world? Or is that way too big of an overhaul?

I'd love for gyms to become more of a side thing, actually. As long as the main quest is awesome.

reiella

From the trailer, and guessing obviously. I think we may not get a bike this time around. Which would make sense since animating riding a bike seems like it would be fairly difficult, and skates are practically free animation.

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター
I wonder whether flying type Pokemon will just hover or flutter in place in the 3D battle scenes? Well I trust Gamefreak with whatever they chose!

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
thats tooo big a change. i highly doubt it. i will be sad too if this happens. gyms are the very essence of a pkmn journey.
if they throw that their basically creating a new franchise.

7 tyranitars

I REALLY hope there's trainer customization!

I agree, gamefreak makes terrible charracter so they should just let us create our own. And why do they all need to wear some form of headwear, it is quite frustrating.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
For the love of Samus, I want them to have a different plot this time. BW was a step in the right direction (Gym leaders actually got involved, and you had to help them out, for instance), but I was very disappointed when B2W2 took three steps back and made it more like the previous gens.

if they throw that their basically creating a new franchise.

I disagree. Shin Megami Tensei can have a new plot, characters, and universe (there are...what, seven alternate universes in the series now?) and it's still obviously MegaTen. Pokemon can totally do the same thing, just changing the plot won't make it a different franchise (doubly so if they keep it in the same world as the previous main series titles).

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.

I don't think gamefreak would change the formula like that. I mean, badges have always been on the games, and removing it would make fans a little confused. But, since black/white started implementing the gyms and the E4 into the story, I think that it isn't too crazy to think that they could take a more important role in the story. But replacing the gym badges entirely? I don't think that's gonna happen.
And, on a sidenote, it was just about time to have a 3D characters in Pokémon, They already had a bunch of 3D models in B/W after all. But I miss walking with pokémon...

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Oh yeah, I'm going to be the person who scares everyone away from this thread and bring in some programming speculation, but...

I wonder if they're able to do all this 3D stuff solely because of the 3DS and enhanced space capabilities or because they finally went "well screw this, let's write this in a more efficient programming language"?

Dr. Steve

I'm hoping the battle system is still fast and streamlined like Black & White. One thing that was apparent with 3D Pokemon games was the animations would take longer than the 2D counterparts making the battles feel somewhat sluggish by comparison. But seeing the trailer more does seem to show that the speed of the battles is still there. I would also like to customize my character. It would be nice if players got the chance to make themselves in a Pokemon game. Hell maybe even add parts that would make you look like other popular Nintendo characters like Mario or Link. I also want to see the option for random Wifi battles for the Online play. It would be nice to just battle random people all over the world without having to worry about specific events or friend codes.

Lastly this is more of a personal wish but I would love to have my Pokemon follow me wherever I go again like in HG and SS. Seriously they were just cute to have outside with you. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.