• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerex

Wouldn't that make it too easier to incerease the happiness?
Just fight the lv 2 pokemon and your done -.-
Or would it work exp wise?
Wo knows...WHO KNOWS..

Conclusion: wouldn't happen ^_^
I would actually like to see GameFreak explore unhappiness. It would interesting if you had a Pokemon that evolved based on its unhappiness level. The pre-evo could have pretty good stats that when combined with evolite would could make frustration an interesting move to use. It could work like Eevee, Espeon, and Umbreon, whereas the Pokemon evolved based on its happiness, but also had another evolution if it has high unhappiness. The game could spin it that it's constant defeat in battles triggers the Pokemon to evolve a certain way, much like how Bagon grows wings out of its desire to fly.

R_N

So a pokemon you treat badly will evolve because of bad treatment and stay with you? it makes no sense.

And goes against the whole bonding with your Pokemon and how people should treat their pokemon well thing the series is all about

elfrings

Wouldn't that make it too easier to incerease the happiness?
Just fight the lv 2 pokemon and your done -.-
Or would it work exp wise?
Wo knows...WHO KNOWS..

Conclusion: wouldn't happen ^_^

I was thinking about that - that's why I added "or perhaps just a chance of affecting." The chance would have to be dependent on level, like the reverse of the chance of hitting in1-hit KO attacks (ineffective with pokemon of lower level, but capable and likelihood increasing as opponent's level increases. Something like that.) Except... you'd get so much experience from a pokemon your level or higher that you're already getting a boost to friendliness/happiness. So maybe put the ineffective cap at about 5 levels lower? Anyway, it would make sense to add that. I mean if you do something which takes advantage of how much someone is frustrated with you, it's going to frustrate them further. And if you exercise a good relationship, it's going to build.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
And goes against the whole bonding with your Pokemon and how people should treat their pokemon well thing the series is all about

IMO, Frustration should have a different meter than Happiness and would suit Ghost Pokemon.
Your Pokemon can be happy, but at the same time, frustrated.

Frustration, as a move, is worthless since it relies on happiness. And the Pokemon we own usually ends up with increased friendship.
So separating it makes it more useful, kinda.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
IMO, Frustration should have a different meter than Happiness and would suit Ghost Pokemon.

Frustration, as a move, is worthless since it relies on happiness. And the Pokemon we own usually ends up with increased friendship.

I agree. Today, a simple walk of 128 can increase your friendship and decrease the power of the move Frustration each time. It might only be useful in the rental battles (if the Pokémon happens to have it) since I don't think the friendship is really high when you rent a Pokémon or with Buneary or legendaries just caught for a very low amount of time. But I have to admit, Frustration isn't used enough. I guess it could be replaced by less the Pokémon has HP, better the attack is (it's not that original but it is still better).

Regality

Digital King
So a pokemon you treat badly will evolve because of bad treatment and stay with you? it makes no sense.

Once you are in the pokeball, you can never leave. NEVER.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Once you are in the pokeball, you can never leave. NEVER.

Thats gameplay, in reality and lore pokemon aren't your slaves, supposedly you battle them and befriend them.

You guys just throw awful idea after awful idea, its like everything goes for you guys, if it depended on some users, pokemon would be digimon, wear armors, have 10 evolutions, we would have 5-10 more types and the other awful out there opinions we see there, it seems like you guys don't know what pokemon is about, whats the essence of the game, innovation is great in a smart way and Gamefreak has been able to do that every region, the series is fine, we don't need random awfull crazyness to be part of it.

"CoroCoro comes out and Gamefreak introduces a pokemon that evolves by dislike of its trainer" me "...idiots..."

Sugestions are cool guys, sugesting every random thing even the ones you are not sure that make any type of sense is not cool, oh and all of this would be evaded if people took 5 minutes to debate their though.

Last edited:

Karlos Region

Kiss me Stunfisk!
I was thinking about 'Fly'... Maybe we will fly like in some other pure RPG games; maybe we will control our pokemon in the sky, like in Pokemon Ranger, when we used Staraptor and Latios(as) to fly over the Region and we chose the place to land (towns, cities...)

R_N

Frustration's purpose is suppose to be early on. Even at base happiness it will deal more damage than many other attacks early in the game, when the Pokemon is fresh, than Return would for a couple of hours. Then when it finally starts petering out you can swap in Return

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Well, they could add a value of "frustration": has nothing to do with happiness, and increases every time you make the Pokemon use a HM move to clear a target, have a Pokemon not participate in a fight, switch the current Pokemon out with another when the enemy Pokemon is at low health, battle Pokemon that are multiple levels below.

In all seriousness, it would require too much work to have a Pokemon evolve from unhappiness. You would have to use so many of the herbs that it's impractical (between winning fights and walking).

elfrings

Thats gameplay, in reality and lore pokemon aren't your slaves, supposedly you battle them and befriend them.

You guys just throw awful idea after awful idea, its like everything goes for you guys, if it depended on some users, pokemon would be digimon, wear armors, have 10 evolutions, we would have 5-10 more types and the other awful out there opinions we see there, it seems like you guys don't know what pokemon is about, whats the essence of the game, innovation is great in a smart way and Gamefreak has been able to do that every region, the series is fine, we don't need random awfull crazyness to be part of it.

"CoroCoro comes out and Gamefreak introduces a pokemon that evolves by dislike of its trainer" me "...idiots..."

Sugestions are cool guys, sugesting every random thing even the ones you are not sure that make any type of sense is not cool, oh and all of this would be evaded if people took 5 minutes to debate their though.

In reality?
Did I miss a major scientific discovery recently? lol I know what you meant, but still... gotta admit that came out wrong. :D

The idea of adding a frustration meter is actually a pretty good idea, because currently Frustration isn't really able to reach it's potential without spending a lot of money and effort into intentionally pissing off your pokemon. :p Whereas in reality frustration really needs very little effort to build. But what would build frustration...? I imagine that could be variable depending on personality type and characteristics. A lax pokemon might get frustrated if it has to battle more than it would like, for instance. And yet the relationship between trainer and pokemon would not necessarily suffer as a result. (Like a kid gets frustrated with parents when nagged to clean the bedroom, but doesn't grow to love the parents any less because of it.) Maybe this is already in the works? Maybe the Happiness meter is being split into two scales? Rather than having happiness at one end and frustration on the other, there will be a measure of happiness or "bond" which affects the power of Return and an unrelated measure of stress which affects the power of Frustration? So potentially you could have both attacks and they could simultaneously be very powerful.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
In reality?
Did I miss a major scientific discovery recently? lol I know what you meant, but still... gotta admit that came out wrong. :D

The idea of adding a frustration meter is actually a pretty good idea, because currently Frustration isn't really able to reach it's potential without spending a lot of money and effort into intentionally pissing off your pokemon. :p Whereas in reality frustration really needs very little effort to build. But what would build frustration...? I imagine that could be variable depending on personality type and characteristics. A lax pokemon might get frustrated if it has to battle more than it would like, for instance. And yet the relationship between trainer and pokemon would not necessarily suffer as a result. (Like a kid gets frustrated with parents when nagged to clean the bedroom, but doesn't grow to love the parents any less because of it.)

Fainting, losing a battle, being fed with herbs, and being stored in the PC Storage for a very long time are just a few methods that could increase frustration.

Regality

Digital King

...woah, no need to pick on digimon.

But you are right, pokemon wearing armor is a stupid idea, one that could never happen in a million years. Oh, wait a minute..

main-qimg-48058d8b286ce30ca08f65fcf93204ed

Yes, it is from the movie, but surely that is part of the "reality and lore" of pokemon, as you put it.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Closest we ever got as "armor" are Accessories and to some extent, items like Choice Scarf, even then you can't wear those accessories outside of Contests/Musicals/Dress-up room.

I don't see why an evolution by no happiness should be implemented, Pokémon is about being friends with one another, not in a way that your being Silver or will cause PETA to be paranoid.

elfrings

Fainting, losing a battle, being fed with herbs, and being stored in the PC Storage for a very long time are just a few methods that could increase frustration.

I was always of the mind that storing a pokemon reduced friendship/happiness, but that's apparently always been an urban myth. I could see that building frustration however for pokemon with a personality type or characteristic which would grow stressed by being left in storage. Perhaps having a significant amount of stress could cause a pokemon to become deeply troubled and require a PokeTherapist? ;D lol

Closest we ever got as "armor" are Accessories and to some extent, items like Choice Scarf, even then you can't wear those accessories outside of Contests/Musicals/Dress-up room.

I don't see why an evolution by no happiness should be implemented, Pokémon is about being friends with one another, not in a way that your being Silver or will cause PETA to be paranoid.

I could see some Dark types only evolving by becoming significantly angry/frustrated.

grenwood

Not in the scenario I provided. You don't have Surf yet, you traded over a Pokemon that knows it.
ok one of two things:
1:you can get the move surf through trading(which you cant so they should make it deletable and keep it untradeable like it already is) but cant use it.
2: when you are in an area you can only get to with an HM, and then you are stupid enough to try to delete it, then the professor gives you the message "there is a time and place for everything" like they do in every other situation similiar to this.

either one is already implemented minus the deletable part so it shouldnt be hard to make it deletable and keep those safeguards which are already there anyway.

elfrings

ok one of two things:
1:you can get the move surf through trading(which you cant so they should make it deletable and keep it untradeable like it already is) but cant use it.
2: when you are in an area you can only get to with an HM, and then you are stupid enough to try to delete it, then the professor gives you the message "there is a time and place for everything" like they do in every other situation similiar to this.

either one is already implemented minus the deletable part so it shouldnt be hard to make it deletable and keep those safeguards which are already there anyway.

You can trade pokemon which know HMs (so long as they haven't hatched yet.) I had a trainer in B/W 2 surfing right after the first gym. :)

Last edited:

rocky505

You can trade pokemon which know HMs (so long as they haven't hatched yet.) I had a trainer in B/W 2 surfing before acquiring even the first gym badge. :)

This is a lie, because you can't trade until you get the first badge in b2w2.

Pokefan1905

Do you guys think there will be part-time jobs in XY? Maybe some to earn money, some to earn the other version exclusive's eggs or even special outfits? I noticed many people are paying attention to the fact that there is a cafe like Pokemon Smash and the trailer itself as the female character looks at the cafe. I mean there's that same cafe in the official art for Lumiose City and when the player is riding gogoat. So it leads me to believe the cafe is important

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, I noticed that the first few pre-released pictures showed the male character looking at the mirror in a purple and white room but the latest pictures showed a more bluish room, maybe we can customize our room colour too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.