• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
A PKMN has set IVs once its captured or bred, meaning its IVs will stay bad, they are not changeable.
Where is the strategy in soft resetting or IV breeding, all you do is giving a PKMN a power item and an everstone and then press left and right for hours -.-
Also, by saying it would be all about strategy then, I meant battling not bredding and stuff.
A PKMN can still have different natures and different moves, as well as teammates, if IVs are "removed".

The point is, the IV system has nothing to do with strategy, and even what you're suggesting wont change that. The strategy of the game is elsewhere.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
wait

I leave this section and take a siesta from stupidity like IV system changing

and when I come back people are talking about stupidity like IV system changing

really

Xerneas

The point is, the IV system has nothing to do with strategy, and even what you're suggesting wont change that. The strategy of the game is elsewhere.

Exactly, the IV system has nothing to do with strategy, thats what I was saying the whole time.
What I said earlier:
"this ("Removing" the current IV system) would even the odds, cause it would be all about strategy then."
I think there was just a misunderstanding.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Exactly, the IV system has nothing to do with strategy, thats what I was saying the whole time.
What I said earlier:
"this ("Removing" the current IV system) would even the odds, cause it would be all about strategy then."
I think there was just a misunderstanding.

But removing it serves no purpose either, it's in place to make each Pokemon different to another, just like all living creatures. Removing it doesn't change the strategy of the game at all it just ruins the atmosphere that Game Freak has tried to create.

Xerneas

But removing it serves no purpose either, it's in place to make each Pokemon different to another, just like all living creatures. Removing it doesn't change the strategy of the game at all it just ruins the atmosphere that Game Freak has tried to create.

The only reason I liked my idea was because its no fun to IV breed, but battling is fun, so I thought it would be cool, if PKMN would reach their full potentlal through battling.
I kinda agree with you on the individuality part, but there are also natures, genders, abilities, egg moves and EVs, so I do belive that removing the IVs wouldnt completely destroy the individuality of a PKMN.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Speaking of that, I would kind of love for them to make a single game with the anime's battle system, just so that all the people that want it could see how terrible it is to have your enemy dodge your attack, then hit your pokemon with three attacks in a row while it's weakened. But that'd be a Colosseum/XD side-game, I'd imagine. That's just my sadistic nature, I suppose; give people what they want to teach them that they actually don't want it. But that's not going to be this, I don't think.

Lol, I know, I often feel the same. It's utterly impractical and wouldn't happen, because it would cost GF time and money to make something that ultimately most fans would hate - but you're right, sometimes I imagine the only way to get the people with silly ideas to shut up is to give them exactly what they want, to show them exactly how silly it would be. Sadly, other times you just can't win. A gen full of evos and prevos? Fans whined and wanted new pokemon only. So we get a gen full of new pokemon only...but hey, fans still whined. Lesson: you'll never please everyone.

Don't get me wrong, lots of pokemon fans are creative individuals with genuinely interesting ideas - like many of y'all right here on the forums.

And then there are those who want to erase the 8 badges/elite four/defeat the evil team format, or wish Mewtwo would evolve, or (my personal favourite) introduce Light types :/

Chespin17

Doopliss17/TCMets17
And then there are those who want to erase the 8 badges/elite four/defeat the evil team format, or wish Mewtwo would evolve, or (my personal favourite) introduce Light types :/

Hahaha you're right. I can't stand the talk about the light type idea (or new types in general). Why does there need to be new types? Game Freak has a good balance already, why mess with something that works? The last time types were introduced was Gen 2 because Psychic was so overpowered.

NurseRiG

Supermodel
In my honest opinion, IVs should really be revamped, with the current IV system it is incredibly hard to get Pokemon that can viably compete without the use of cheating, getting somewhat close to perfect IVs is a long time consuming experience. I actually would like Happiness to play a larger role, hopefully that's the brand new mechanic that's being implemented.

confuser987

Maybe the new mechanic is not a "dodge" system but like a critical "D" hit? D as in defense. Ignore all attack boost and double the defense?

Froakin' Koga

Not sure if right thread but do you guys think some abilities would get revamped like sturdy was?

Zix Serro

Maybe the new mechanic is not a "dodge" system but like a critical "D" hit? D as in defense. Ignore all attack boost and double the defense?

I think you're suggesting something I was suggesting, an option to defend and take less damage from a hit as a turn move so you're not wasting PP on a move.

LizardonX

Banned
I think they will incpoporate the call mechanic from an anime where you can call to a pokemon as it faints and there's a chance it will revive itself with 1 hp. The chances go up drastically as happiness increases and goes down sharply for each consecutive sucess.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think they will incpoporate the call mechanic from an anime where you can call to a pokemon as it faints and there's a chance it will revive itself with 1 hp. The chances go up drastically as happiness increases and goes down sharply for each consecutive sucess.

That'd still be too overpowered.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Couple thing I hope for:

1. I hope that they do not do what Unova did and have the max of 3 for every gym leader.
2. I hope they make it so that when you battle a Gym Leader or an Elite 4 member that you must choose what pokemon to take into battle before hand. So say they have 3 Pokemon you can only use 3 Pokemon against them(like the anime). Seems kinda unfair that you can use a whole team of 6 while they could have like 1 Pokemon.
3. I hope they do the a Tournament style Pokemon League.
4. I hope they don't make the puzzles too easy.
5. I hope they introduce new Type(s) even though I think they will not(Please no one start this debate up again)
6. I hope they make the story darker. Even more darker than Black/White and Black2/White 2. I wanna see a character die dammit >:-D
7. I hope for customization(pretty sure we are getting this though)
8. I hope they introduce a battle mechanic that affect Pokemon based on their surrounding environment(ex. Grass Types getting a boost in a forest area or something).

I think you're suggesting something I was suggesting, an option to defend and take less damage from a hit as a turn move so you're not wasting PP on a move.
Ah I see what your saying but a PP move is basically the same thing...
Adding a option to defend would mean dropping the already existing moves and how would you regulate how much you defend? Moves like Protect and Detect block almost anything you throw at them while moves like harden only boost your defense stat. Both these types of defensive moves add a great strategy to the game and what about the accuracy and evasion moves once again? If you can just Final Fantasy defend-oh wait Blind exists...ok. Alright going back to how much you can defend? If the opponent used Solorbeam and your Pokemon didn't have an all blocking move in its move pool you could just defend against it and take no/less damage? That would also destroy the strategy of those moves. The point of having defensive PP moves is adding a BIG strategic element to the game.
I could go on but at the end of the day no matter what your still wasting a turn using a defense move.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
Couple thing I hope for:

1. I hope that they do not do what Unova did and have the max of 3 for every gym leader.
2. I hope they make it so that when you battle a Gym Leader or an Elite 4 member that you must choose what pokemon to take into battle before hand. So say they have 3 Pokemon you can only use 3 Pokemon against them(like the anime). Seems kinda unfair that you can use a whole team of 6 while they could have like 1 Pokemon.
3. I hope they do the a Tournament style Pokemon League.
4. I hope they don't make the puzzles too easy.
5. I hope they introduce new Type(s) even though I think they will not(Please no one start this debate up again)
6. I hope they make the story darker. Even more darker than Black/White and Black2/White 2. I wanna see a character die dammit >:-D
7. I hope for customization(pretty sure we are getting this though)
8. I hope they introduce a battle mechanic that affect Pokemon based on their surrounding environment(ex. Grass Types getting a boost in a forest area or something).

Couldn't have listed it better myself!
I hope for all these things too.! The idea that stuck most to me though is #8.
I think that would be really cool. How would you explain online battling having that feature?

pacack825

A meowing duck.
"A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger."
(I really hope that I didn't miss this while reading through)
Masuda's blog. Any idea what this could mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.