• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonDragonFTW

scorpio66

i hope we can unlock the challenge mode before we begin the game

I agree I was happy there was a hard mode on Black 2 BUT I've been unable to unlock it and tbh even if I did I wouldnt be prepared to restart it in order to fully appreciate the changes!

PokeTimmy

Collector
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see other trainers use the starters? If every kid is supposed to get a starter aged 10, then why have we not seen this? Even if it's just a case of a few Youngsters on the earlier routes using Starter + Generic Rodent / Bird / Bug. However, they should be less of a challenge than the Rival, obviously. And perhaps if we are able to re-battle trainers, these Youngsters would have increasingly diverse and realistic teams?

In short: WHERE DO ALL THE STARTERS GO?!

I've always interpreted the starters the main character receives fron the professor to be a rarity - that most trainers probably get their first pokemon not from a professor, but from the routes surrounding their home. I imagine it is similar to Wally in Gen III, who borrowed his father's pokemon to catch his starter (a ralts) from a nearby route.

I think the main character and rival are just lucky that there is a pokemon professor nearby that offers them rare pokemon as starters. This luck is especially evident in Gen III and D/P/Pt where you seem to stumble upon the professor and he lets you have one of the rare starters apparently on a whim (in Gen III you acquire the starter to defend the professor from wild pokemon, in D/P/Pt I seem to recall that the professor gives you a pokemon just so you aren't mauled in the tall grass, which you foolishly wandered into).

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
What do you think the Evil Team's Main objective is?

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
I always had the impression the towns Gym Leader helps them obtain a starter Pokemon. But that's for a different discussion

That massive-single-player thing sounds interesting though. I liked going in the Underground tunnels with a few of my friends in D/P/Pt and we would play tag. I imagine it'd be something similar to that.

What do you think the Evil Team's Main objective is?

Trying to clone something perhaps? I can see a scientific theme these games since the themes seem to be about axises and DNA.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Trying to clone something perhaps? I can see a scientific theme these games since the themes seem to be about axises and DNA.

Or maybe they capture the opposite version mascot and clone it and the only way to save it is to capture the Version Mascot(because they are closely related in DNA) to free it and destroy the clones

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Just as long as it isn't the standard "take over the world" cop-out which we've had for the past five generations then I'll be satisfied. Hopefully there'll be a much, much more stronger emphasis on the plot here and maybe even we'll actually see some proper character development which I've been yearning for for so long - but I remain sceptical.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If we do get the VS seeker back I' love to be able to use it anywhere but in gyms, I remember being mad at FRLG because I couldn't use it in Victory Road.

Why not gyms? You could get gym leader rematches that way.

I do hope we get to see EVERY Pokemon in the dex.

I was disappointed in BW/BW2 where you can't even complete the regional dex even after battling every trainer in the region.
I wish this returns and make it a requirement in order to obtain the National Dex once again. If not, at least for the Medal Rally/Ribbons if these features return.

It's quite a good way to push players to explore the whole region in search of trainers.

I liked that the trainers had more diverse rosters, but I didn't like that it was forced to unlock the National Dex. It's very annoying for less skilled trainers, since it means you'd have to go back and fight every single trainer in the region in the hopes that they'll have a Pokemon you've never seen, which is quite tedious. I think the National Dex should be automatically given to you for beating the game, and that they should give you another reward for completing the regional dex. And they should be more careful about how they handle trainer rosters, especially in regards to version exclusives. I think all version exclusives in the opposite game should be seen on the trainer rosters (or at least one of each) so that you don't have to rely on trading for seeing them all. It was incredibly annoying that Vullaby/Rufflet were nowhere to be found on BW1 trainer rosters and therefore unseeable in the other version (except for Black players getting to see Cynthia's Braviary), or how in BW2 Buneary/Skitty couldn't be seen without seeing their evolved forms and breeding, which couldn't be done until post game thanks to the Day Care Center being unavailable until then. Speaking of which, NEVER MAKE THE DAY CARE POST GAME AGAIN, GAME FREAK! Really, that was definitely the worst design decision they made in that game. It's far too important to the gameplay to be left out, it has to be there at a reasonable time (around mid game). People need it for breeding down egg moves, obtaining baby Pokemon, etc. The only time it was ever acceptable to not have breeding until post game was FRLG, and only because back then you couldn't have National Dex Pokemon before getting the National Dex.

i hope we can unlock the challenge mode before we begin the game

I'm sure a lot of people will rage if Challenge Mode is unlocked the same way it was in BW2. Hopefully Game Freak learned their lesson from that.

Just as long as it isn't the standard "take over the world" cop-out which we've had for the past five generations then I'll be satisfied. Hopefully there'll be a much, much more stronger emphasis on the plot here and maybe even we'll actually see some proper character development which I've been yearning for for so long - but I remain sceptical.

An idea that I've always had is, what if the evil team isn't so much team, but a business, a really uncaring and unethical business. Instead of actually trying to awaken the legendary beasts, their greed causes the beasts to become angry and the rest of the world suffers the consequences. So they aren't trying to destroy the world, they are just being selfish with their ethics. The grunts can just be security guards for the business and the lower downs.

FennekinFan

An idea that I've always had is, what if the evil team isn't so much team, but a business, a really uncaring and unethical business. Instead of actually trying to awaken the legendary beasts, their greed causes the beasts to become angry and the rest of the world suffers the consequences. So they aren't trying to destroy the world, they are just being selfish with their ethics. The grunts can just be security guards for the business and the lower downs.

This could work.. I recall reading an interview somewhere with one of the Nintendo people and they stated that the problem in the next game (guessing x and y here) would be on a global scale.

Poetry

Dancing Mad

Hmm... perhaps, but why would the business' unethical deeds anger the legendary Pokemon? Surely they would have more important things to be concerned with than the acts of humans, assuming that the legendaries are able to fend for themselves in the wilderness and have a life pretty much separate from humans?

I think Team Plasma were onto something good with N's anti-hero roots, but there just wasn't enough development there and even B/W2 didn't improve as much as I thought it would, with the New Team Plasma just being the old Team Plasma and the old Team Plasma just sort of drifting around not doing much. The N/Ghetsis relationship was quite interesting though.

Last edited:
Hmm... perhaps, but why would the business' unethical deeds anger the legendary Pokemon? Surely they would have more important things to be concerned with than the acts of humans, assuming that the legendaries are able to fend for themselves in the wilderness and have a life pretty much separate from humans?

I think Team Plasma were onto something good with N's anti-hero roots, but there just wasn't enough development there and even B/W2 didn't improve as much as I thought it would, with the New Team Plasma just being the old Team Plasma and the new Team Plasma just sort of drifting around not doing much. The N/Ghetsis relationship was quite interesting though.

I can see the business cutting down the legedaries forest in order to construct a new building or in the case of Y, building a tower so tall that is obstructs the sky and messes with airborne Pokmon. There are a ton of selfish acts that could end up angering the legendaries, especially if they aren't deities but guardians of some sort.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I can see the business cutting down the legedaries forest in order to construct a new building or in the case of Y, building a tower so tall that is obstructs the sky and messes with airborne Pokmon. There are a ton of selfish acts that could end up angering the legendaries, especially if they aren't deities but guardians of some sort.

Meh, even so it's not really... evil, is it? I know it's a franchise aimed at kids and all but there are some ways which GF can construct an evil Team which has undertones of something more malicious than just cutting down trees and disturbing Pokemon habitats. I'm hoping for not just talk from the evil Team, but some action which establishes them from the very beginning as a force to be reckoned with (which Team Plasma sort of failed at doing in B/W2 with the whole Opelucid shooting-ice thing, especially when GF had us believe that half of the region would be covered).

EonDragonFTW

I really hope they add a battle frontier like emeralds. And with multiple and wifi. Also, This real time Player thing seems really Innovative

Meh, even so it's not really... evil, is it? I know it's a franchise aimed at kids and all but there are some ways which GF can construct an evil Team which has undertones of something more malicious than just cutting down trees and disturbing Pokemon habitats. I'm hoping for not just talk from the evil Team, but some action which establishes them from the very beginning as a force to be reckoned with (which Team Plasma sort of failed at doing in B/W2 with the whole Opelucid shooting-ice thing, especially when GF had us believe that half of the region would be covered).

I think you and I personally just have different tastes. I actually have never gotten into the whole "evil" thing. Team Plasma 1 has been my favorite due to them being more misunderstood than just evil. I prefer them to mess around with the antagonists, maybe even having an antagonist that's a Pokemon. The whole "pure evil" thing has honestly always bored me.

However, I agree with you 100% that they need to make the antagonists more threatening.

It's just a matter of different tastes. If they do end up going with yet another evil team, I can live with it. I think it would be more interesting if they varied their antagonists every so often.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I think you and I personally just have different tastes. I actually have never gotten into the whole "evil" thing. Team Plasma 1 has been my favorite due to them being more misunderstood than just evil. I prefer them to mess around with the antagonists, maybe even having an antagonist that's a Pokemon. The whole "pure evil" thing has honestly always bored me.

However, I agree with you 100% that they need to make the antagonists more threatening.

It's just a matter of different tastes. If they do end up going with yet another evil team, I can live with it. I think it would be more interesting if they varied their antagonists every so often.

Yes, just as long as they come up with something fresh and original in terms of the Team's goals and ideals then I'll be happy. The only reason why I fixate on the "evil" side so much is possibly due to the fact that I've always wanted a sort of serious side to the games which older players can appreciate as well.

Kieran-kun

ポケモンマスター
If character customization is possible in these games then I could see something like: getting particular accessories via streetpass or spot pass. It'd be a nice and effective way to implement those 3DS features in to the game.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
If character customization is possible in these games then I could see something like: getting particular accessories via streetpass or spot pass. It'd be a nice and effective way to implement those 3DS features in to the game.

yeah, and/or the rumor of the secret bases making a comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.