• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
In the 3rd generation, they added weather to the games. In the 4th generation, they added day/night to them and in the 5th generation they added seasons. What can they add in this generation? I can't really think of anything...

Hmmm... how 'bout strong winds? It could lower accuracy of special attacks, as well as speed of lightweight Pokemon.

Other things I'd like to see:

:: Low and High tide, which was present in Shoal Cave. Offers more backtracking at areas.
:: Also, if rain, sandstorm and hail naturally occurs, they should have places where intense sunlight naturally occurs. Only Hoenn has that. It would be great to have especially during Summer.
:: I can see Fog returning, too. There's fog in Unova's Route 15, but it didn't have a battle effect.

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
Temperature would be an interesting aspect to battling even though it could get irritating. Example: colder temperature equals increase of speed in ice types or decrease in speed of fire types. Maybe something along these lines.

Eh. Weather can be really irritating and I still enjoy that mechanic. :)

Mighty Arceus493

Relentless.
Weather effects in battle would be interesting, but since we know that weather can boost moves/stats depending on type and ability, I'm going to hope that there could be some kind of weather system in the world like: *Looks at a TV/Sign* It will be 35 degrees Celsius so expect a lot of sun and the uncommon Pokemon like _____ and ______ that enjoy hot temperatures.

It might be too much, but I hope that we can see something like this.

Hmmm... how 'bout strong winds? It could lower accuracy of special attacks, as well as speed of lightweight Pokemon.

Other things I'd like to see:

:: Low and High tide, which was present in Shoal Cave. Offers more backtracking at areas.
:: Also, if rain, sandstorm and hail naturally occurs, they should have places where intense sunlight naturally occurs. Only Hoenn has that. It would be great to have especially during Summer.
:: I can see Fog returning, too. There's fog in Unova's Route 15, but it didn't have a battle effect.

I completely forgot about Shoal Cave's tides in Hoenn, and that would be great if we saw something like that too. It would be cool if certain areas that have too much fog can hide secrets and we can blindly try to explore them, or we can have a cool breeze around that area that blows away the fog, but they better not bring back Defog, I hated that move so much.

Last edited:

PanOne

Aquatic apprentice
I don't see why. As long as they own the website, they may as well make use of it. I do wonder how they'll handle compatibility with XY, though.

i agree they may make something similar to the global union.
most importantly we should prepare for the release they may host an event due to the fact that the world recieves it at the same time

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist
The things I like about pokemon are the external features, outside of battling. I think it would be cool if there were mini games when you interacted with the "Wii U." I also thing it would be cool if there was actually something to watch when you interact when you interact with the TV, ala what happens when you watch your Pokestar movies, but with everything from news to talk shows to sitcoms to just plain anything! I ALSO think there should be a Pokemon Arcade there you can play various mini games pokemon stadium-style (maybe a whack a diglet game, for example) for tokens that can be used to purchase prizes like pokemon or rare items. Because honestly I hate that they took out the game corner. I use to play it all the time and that would be a fine alternative for me.

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
The things I like about pokemon are the external features, outside of battling. I think it would be cool if there were mini games when you interacted with the "Wii U." I also thing it would be cool if there was actually something to watch when you interact when you interact with the TV, ala what happens when you watch your Pokestar movies, but with everything from news to talk shows to sitcoms to just plain anything! I ALSO think there should be a Pokemon Arcade there you can play various mini games pokemon stadium-style (maybe a whack a diglet game, for example) for tokens that can be used to purchase prizes like pokemon or rare items. Because honestly I hate that they took out the game corner. I use to play it all the time and that would be a fine alternative for me.

With the Wii U thing, I could see that happening once a new game—something similar to XD:GoD or PBR—is released on the console. I don't see that happening as a standalone feature of X & Y. But an arcade would be cool.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer

OMG! That's an amazing idea! Today I was thinking about what they were going to add as a side quest/mini game type deal.
Back in kanto days they had the game corner (which I would get completely glued to.)
In hoenn and sinnoh they had pokemon contests.
In johto they had the Pokeathlon.
And in Unova they had the musical and pokestudios (personally I enjoy musical way more!)

So for this region I wonder what's next. I would love the return of game corner.
But for some reason I see something else coming.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
One thing I'd love to see is some new priority moves like fire and electric type, I honestly don't see why electric types don't have a priority move with being speedy and what not
Speaking of priority moves, which I'm in favor of of having electric-type priority moves that is at least +1, I would like to say something. There's no -2 priority move, which would be between Vital Throw and Focus Punch.
I'm hoping the Elite 4 is similar to B/W. I liked the choice of direction and the way they countered each other. Not sure which types would work so well though... Ideas?
Here's some ideas. I should work like in 5G (B/W) with 4 of the 7 types that hasn't show a Elite Four member is part of: Normal, Electric , Rock, Flying, Steel, Water, or Grass.
Accuracy is reduced during fog. I would like to see a move/ability that activates a foggy effect.

Last edited:

willda

Fire starter
Eh. I never really cared for copies of moves for different types, unoriginal and all.
I want more combo-friendly moves like the Pledges.

well from the competitive aspect, I think we could use more priority moves that are more viable than some current ones, I like combo moves and all but I would like to see some that are actually compatible viable

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt

I wouldn't mind having fog back, but I'd like a new way to get rid of it. Defog is possibly the most useless HM.

Weather effects in battle would be interesting, but since we know that weather can boost moves/stats depending on type and ability, I'm going to hope that there could be some kind of weather system in the world like: *Looks at a TV/Sign* It will be 35 degrees Celsius so expect a lot of sun and the uncommon Pokemon like _____ and ______ that enjoy hot temperatures.

It might be too much, but I hope that we can see something like this.

I really like the temperature idea, it could be 6th gen's equivalent to day/night, weather, and seasons.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Play Asia is suggesting that the game mechanics are going to change so that the ‘closer you bond is, the stronger your pokemon become’ suggesting the friendship status will become more important. They also suggested that most of the 700+ pokemon featured will be new, so take it with a chunk of salt. Of course if it is true, it reinforces some of the core values supported by the series.

scorpio66

Play Asia is suggesting that the game mechanics are going to change so that the ‘closer you bond is, the stronger your pokemon become’ suggesting the friendship status will become more important. They also suggested that most of the 700+ pokemon featured will be new, so take it with a chunk of salt. Of course if it is true, it reinforces some of the core values supported by the series.

The problem with that tho is what about pokemon that evolve when unhappy or moves that are powerful when unhappy, making pokemons strength reliable on happiness would make these pokemon moves kinda useless!

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
On the topic of weather in battle, I've always wanted to see Nighttime affect battle in a unique way for Ghost and Dark Pokemon, such as Grass and Fire are each affected by sun in unique ways, and Water and Electric benefit from rain. I refer to something grander than the minor effects cast by moonlight, but more to the aspect of a dark arena. I fully acknowledge that Dark is a behavioral type, but Dark Pokemon are largely nocturnal (where cruel and dark deeds may occur more freely) and Ghost Pokemon are obviously united with features of darkness. Although I realize that sun and rain are meant to off set, nighttime or plain darkness could hypothetically be thrown into the mix, so to speak. I've always desired it.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
^ Sounds interesting, never really thought about it but what would the effects be? Maybe Solarbeam takes 2 turns to charge? Evasion up? Got a lot options to choose.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
The problem with that tho is what about pokemon that evolve when unhappy or moves that are powerful when unhappy, making pokemons strength reliable on happiness would make these pokemon moves kinda useless!

Yeah, it would screw up moves like Frustration. Though how much stronger 'stronger' is might not be that big of a deal.

What pokemon evolves when unhappy? Nothing's coming to mind...

Zolanski

Has anyone else noticed that this is the first female trainer who's hair is kinda blonde? They've always been on the darker side.

Flame Mistress

I wouldn't mind having fog back, but I'd like a new way to get rid of it. Defog is possibly the most useless HM.
I agree with this. I wouldn't mind it if they made it a TM, like Flash, but making Defog a HM was just stupid.

Has anyone else noticed that this is the first female trainer who's hair is kinda blonde? They've always been on the darker side.
Because it takes place in Europe? /shot

Status
Not open for further replies.