• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unredemption

Game Freak need to MAJORLY restructure the online aspect, online play against strangers is no longer fun, its virtually impossible to win now and everyone Ive battled against uses the same 10 pokemon, when theres like 700 now it seems a bit crappy that there are 'tiers' and that unless you use top 'tier' pokemon you cant stand a chance of winning, surely using strategy you should be able to win with even the lowest 'tier' pokemon using its abilities, type, moveset etc to your advantage. I feel that IV's and EV's now play a much too important role in competitive battling, I even spent days maxing out my ev's only to still be beat in one move without even being able to get a single move off, it seems to me that basically theres too many people with uber powered pokemon (probably hacked) with uber speed that basically move first and feint you before you can even do a single move, therefore making the whole 'battle' a rather futile affair. In Gen 1 battling was fun and it could go either way, it was more about using type and the moveset of a pokemon to your advantage, now it seems that pokemon has become all about number crunching and stats and its really dragging the fun out of this amazing series, or atleast it is for myself!

Any game that has a PVP mode (or even merely have online features) will nearly always be forced into such a state. There will always be "better" characters and people who abuse hacks. There's simply no way that an Unown could win against a Darkrai, for example. Also, that's why competitive battling has a heavy focus on strategy, strategy which does not merely involve movesets but also every imaginable game mechanic. After all, everyone wants to win.

Granted, GameFreak could do more by balancing out certain Pokemon but since strategies are purely a human construct, there will always be more "preferable" Pokemon to use.

If competitive battling isn't your cup of tea, there's still much more to do in Pokemon. Number-crunching doesn't have to be your number one priority.

scorpio66

Do you think that the gen 4/5 ds games pokemon will be able to be transferred to gen 6's 3ds game or do u think we will see another 3ds pokemon, perhaps a remake of a previous gen (maybe 3?) in order to be able to catch all the pokemon on gen 6.
I'd personally like to see an extended app such as dream radar that allows for the capture of older gen pokemon that can then be transferred into the gen 6 game! This app could even have different 'packs' they could sell as dlc for the diff gens, such as a gen 1 pack or gen 4 pack.

I hope as they are making efforts to release the gen 6 games at the same time worldwide that they will make equal efforts for worldwide distribution of all the gen 6 wifi events as the uk always gets left feeling short of wifi event pokemon giveaways.

I'd like to see all the 'event' pokemon up to date that are ultra rare (especially celebi and Mew which is still kinda rare in uk) distributed in gen 6 somehow be they catchable, (even after end game) or through the app I suggested above or even through the wifi downloads as some of them such as Celebi are incredibly rare and hard to get legitimately.

I also feel that due to the amount of evolutionary items there should be a global trading feature for items only, tying into this for in game mail aswell, removing the hassle of having to equip either to a pokemon before trading it!

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Do you think that the gen 4/5 ds games pokemon will be able to be transferred to gen 6's 3ds game or do u think we will see another 3ds pokemon, perhaps a remake of a previous gen (maybe 3?) in order to be able to catch all the pokemon on gen 6.

They will mostly make backward compatibility with gen 5 through some app. So, to transfer gen 4 pokes we need to transfer to gen 5 then gen 6. and to transfer gen 3 pokes we need to transfer them to gen 4 then to gen 5 then to gen 6.

Alli

I would really like for the 6th gen to turn 3rd gen on us. It would be really exciting to be forced to catch 'em all again without the aid of transfers. But if there is backwards compatibility I would probably disregard it and try to catch 'em all from scratch!

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I would really like for the 6th gen to turn 3rd gen on us. It would be really exciting to be forced to catch 'em all again without the aid of transfers. But if there is backwards compatibility I would probably disregard it and try to catch 'em all from scratch!

I agree and I would really prefer to have all Pokemon to be obtainable with Gen 6 games alone (XY and future main titles).
I try to refrain from transferring from previous gens unless the Pokemon will never be available to us, which in most cases are Legendaries.

willda

Fire starter
Game Freak need to MAJORLY restructure the online aspect, online play against strangers is no longer fun, its virtually impossible to win now and everyone Ive battled against uses the same 10 pokemon, when theres like 700 now it seems a bit crappy that there are 'tiers' and that unless you use top 'tier' pokemon you cant stand a chance of winning, surely using strategy you should be able to win with even the lowest 'tier' pokemon using its abilities, type, moveset etc to your advantage. I feel that IV's and EV's now play a much too important role in competitive battling, I even spent days maxing out my ev's only to still be beat in one move without even being able to get a single move off, it seems to me that basically theres too many people with uber powered pokemon (probably hacked) with uber speed that basically move first and feint you before you can even do a single move, therefore making the whole 'battle' a rather futile affair. In Gen 1 battling was fun and it could go either way, it was more about using type and the moveset of a pokemon to your advantage, now it seems that pokemon has become all about number crunching and stats and its really dragging the fun out of this amazing series, or atleast it is for myself!

Well I understand you pain with breeding for perfect natures and IVs, well I think they have been working to improve that aspect of battling, but your problem may be how your team members interact with each other, and do you have ways of dealing with your "uber" threats. (I hope none of this sounded insulting) But tiers are really only based on usage, for example Feraligatr is RU, but can be used on an OU rain team If he/she has proper team support.

But back on the Gameplay topic of XY I truely hope we get more fun ways of getting battle Items, the battle subway was terrible :(

Aurath8

On second thought, I don't think they'll do it...

Imagine calling up a sandstorm during Winter...
In battle it is fine, but on the overworld... you would have to mess with the map's environment...

One idea is to make localised weather around the player. Literally, a 5x5 area around the player will be rainy, sunny, sandstorm or hail that follows them everywhere. Of course it will be temporary, so maybe it stops after 500 steps or something. This is purely aesthetic and only affects battles you have during those 500 steps but it means that weather can actually viably be used ingame. I don't think they'll need to be HMs, as long as it only affects battles and not access to certain areas. They can just be normal field moves like Sweet Scent or Softboiled.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I agree and I would really prefer to have all Pokemon to be obtainable with Gen 6 games alone (XY and future main titles).
I try to refrain from transferring from previous gens unless the Pokemon will never be available to us, which in most cases are Legendaries.

We probably will. The only gen where that didn't happen was 5th gen, and I think the main reason for that is that they ran out of time to put the rest in. Anyway, 5th gen was pretty close to having all of them in, they just need to be smarter about it this time. For instance, they should include lots of past gen legendaries like they did in HGSS and BW2 since they're probably going to need to in order to even come close to fitting all the legendaries in.

Yeah, but the downside to this is if you have special pokemon that you've trained, or event-obly pokemon that won't be offered again. If they start from scratch then these will effectively be lost.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer

I personally would hate that just because I want to see teams I've worked hard on in full 3D and all the shinnies I have in battle. I like the whole concept of that but I think you should be able to transfer Pokemon form Gen V if you want or try to catch them all again yourself without the aid of past games and just not use the feature.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
Any game that has a PVP mode (or even merely have online features) will nearly always be forced into such a state. There will always be "better" characters and people who abuse hacks. There's simply no way that an Unown could win against a Darkrai, for example. Also, that's why competitive battling has a heavy focus on strategy, strategy which does not merely involve movesets but also every imaginable game mechanic. After all, everyone wants to win.

Granted, GameFreak could do more by balancing out certain Pokemon but since strategies are purely a human construct, there will always be more "preferable" Pokemon to use.

If competitive battling isn't your cup of tea, there's still much more to do in Pokemon. Number-crunching doesn't have to be your number one priority.

See yesterday I was thinking about this! Mind you 80% of ALL my fully IV bred ad EV trained pokemon are NU tier pokemon.
How is it that I'm on Random Battle and go up against someone with an Entei, a Suicune, and a Latios - we were down to our last pokemon, my blissey (I know blissey is not NU) and he's down to his suicune - the only reason why I lost was because he spammed double team, and then spammed sheer cold till he landed the hit!

Now a days online Random battle is flawed! As much as some people might disagree, I think it is time for pokemon to add in Tiers, or at least add an option where legendaries can't be used. They really need to fix that. Or maybe have it where every person is ranked by the Wins/Losses and only go up against people in the same Rank. That way your never going up against some who is waaay too skilled, or someone who's not skilled enough. Or maybe have it so that you only end up battling people with the same (or around same) Team base stat total. Something! It just seems now that I only seem to win against people who use strategy alone, compared to people who rely on brute frce and power (I.E. using Latios, Ho-Oh, and Scizor together) only or luck.
Something seriously needs to change.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I would prefer that ranks ONLY comes after some separation in tiers as suggested.
I think that the rules that online players set up are the best ones so far.

See yesterday I was thinking about this! Mind you 80% of ALL my fully IV bred ad EV trained pokemon are NU tier pokemon.
How is it that I'm on Random Battle and go up against someone with an Entei, a Suicune, and a Latios - we were down to our last pokemon, my blissey (I know blissey is not NU) and he's down to his suicune - the only reason why I lost was because he spammed double team, and then spammed sheer cold till he landed the hit!

Now a days online Random battle is flawed! As much as some people might disagree, I think it is time for pokemon to add in Tiers, or at least add an option where legendaries can't be used. They really need to fix that. Or maybe have it where every person is ranked by the Wins/Losses and only go up against people in the same Rank. That way your never going up against some who is waaay too skilled, or someone who's not skilled enough. Or maybe have it so that you only end up battling people with the same (or around same) Team base stat total. Something! It just seems now that I only seem to win against people who use strategy alone, compared to people who rely on brute frce and power (I.E. using Latios, Ho-Oh, and Scizor together) only or luck.
Something seriously needs to change.

If you can turn the tier feature on and off, I'd be okay with that. But my teams are so disjointed that I really couldn't go into a tier group and wouldn't be able to battle. My teams usually consist of 5 NUs and an uber, so we should at least get the choice of if we want to be pushed into a tier.

willda

Fire starter

No no no! I worked to hard to get pokerus perfect IV ditto's with Ideal natures (all without hacking) and all the pokemon I ev trained since GEN IV began I don't want to lose all of that data!

I would prefer that ranks ONLY comes after some separation in tiers as suggested.
I think that the rules that online players set up are the best ones so far.

I agree smogon did a great job More or less balancing all the usable pokemon, and I do recommend finding a battle group through them, best part is double team is banned.

Bramblefire

Aura Guardian
I personally would hate that just because I want to see teams I've worked hard on in full 3D and all the shinnies I have in battle. I like the whole concept of that but I think you should be able to transfer Pokemon form Gen V if you want or try to catch them all again yourself without the aid of past games and just not use the feature.

I agree with this. I don't want to have to give up my pokerus,event pokemon, and my dream ev trained shiny pokemon. XP

Personally, I didn't mind the transfer game from GenIV, it felt like I was re-uniting with old friends. I haven't been able to use the GenV transfer system, so I don't know about its minigame. I hope we would be able to either to transfer without a game, or more than 6 pokemon at a time per transfer(with a game). Either way would speed things up quite a bit.

That being said, I wouldn't be against having more national pokemon catch-able ingame, just as so long as the region doesn't feel crowded.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think there's any worry of not being able to transfer from the current generation to the next. The only reason is happened with Gen 3 was because of technical limitations and the huge change to the EV and IV systems.

The Flash

I like shorts!
I'd rather see a 3rd Gen remake than relying on transferring.

Logically, and I don't even know why I'm saying this, but after X and Y, I think they'll make a 3rd Gen remake. And then the "Z" game for X and Y.

Lately I've been nostalgic for playing Emerald again. I think when I go home I'm gonna dig it out and play it. I used to not like 3rd Gen, but looking back, it was actually one of the better ones they've had.

I'd rank them as so...

Gen 2>Gen 3>Gen 4>Gen 1>Gen 5

I don't know what it was about Gen 5, whether it was the lack of interest due to me being older or what, but I didn't really like Gen 5 that much. Gen 2 was perfect in my eyes. I loved the 16 badges, I loved all the pokemon, I loved everything about it. When Heart Gold was released, I was seriously ecstatic. Those were the best games, hand down.

Gen 3 gave me a couple more of my favorite pokemon, and I thought that the story was the best out of all of them. I really liked the Team Aqua/Magma fighting.

Gen 4 gave me all the evolutions I wanted, Rhydon and Electabuzz and Magmar(even though I thought the designs for Magmar and Electabuzz were lackluster).

Gen 1 was the original. And Fire Red I still pop in when I'm really bored and need to go to the bathroom and don't feel like carrying my DS.

Hopefully Gen 6 returns to the roots of Gen 2 and make it interesting for an older player. Recently the plots have been kinda a turn off for me.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
No no no! I worked to hard to get pokerus perfect IV ditto's with Ideal natures (all without hacking) and all the pokemon I ev trained since GEN IV began I don't want to loss all of that data

Yeah, no....I would not be happy either. I can relate with the ditto bit.
I would be pretty mad if I lost all my pokemon. I mean EVERY pokemon I have in my arsenal are iv bred to near perfection and Ev trained to my likeing so uh no! I would prefer something like this not happening.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think there's any worry of not being able to transfer from the current generation to the next. The only reason is happened with Gen 3 was because of technical limitations and the huge change to the EV and IV systems.

Well, you never know, they could make some equally huge change this gen that would prevent backwards compatibility. For instance, (and I'm not saying they will do this, it's just hypothetical) if they decided to make Accuracy and Evasion into full stats, they likely wouldn't allow Pokemon from 5th gen to be transferred because they'd need to generate Accuracy and Evasion IVs for each Pokemon. But more than likely, yeah, there are very few changes of that scale that would need to be made that could prevent backwards compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.