• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke Monster

I buy DS only to play Pokemon games. In fact, because of that, I choose to buy only Pokemon Special Edition DS, since I only use them for Pokemon games anyway.

That's a good point. Maybe, I will do the same.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Masuda posted a new entry on his blog recently. You can read it here: http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=561

I am particularly curious about this one:
"A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger."

Higher friendship nets you more EXP perhaps?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That part of his blog (the mechanism) sounds intriguing personally. I hope it's what Wulava mentioned in his post.

For Streetpass, I like to see an implementation where you can put up one of your Pokemon and trade it to others who have Streetpass on. As for Spotpass, maybe you can recieve items daily.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Masuda posted a new entry on his blog recently. You can read it here: http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=561

I am particularly curious about this one:
"A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger."

Higher friendship nets you more EXP perhaps?

This was actually referenced in the trailer by the narrator. So, I'm guessing it is something big. Also this,
A story and music that can be enjoyed by all.
I'm expecting a deeper story than bw's. That would be very nice.

Masuda always describes Pokemon as much bigger than a game, like as if Pokemon has some grand mission to improve the world and bring people together. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside to be part of this :p

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Man... They will probably make the music for the new games with real instruments (aka orchestrated). That sucks.

Regarding the new battle mechanism, I think it will be like the links in Pokémon Conquest. That was an awesome feature by the way.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Man... They will probably make the music for the new games with real instruments (aka orchestrated). That sucks.

They probably wont, actually. If they'd had any intention of doing so they would have with D/P/P. There's nothing wrong with real instruments, though.

Isn't that GOOD ? Don't tell me you want the beeps and scratches from gen 1 and 2.

That's perfectly respectable music as well, you know.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Isn't that GOOD ? Don't tell me you want the beeps and scratches from gen 1 and 2.

Beeps and scratches? Dude... Didn't you play the last three generation games? All of them had outstanding soundtracks that weren't orchestrated. Most games have "computer made" music, you're basically saying that the majority of game music sound bad, including the most popular ones. So, answering your question: It isn't necessarily a good thing, not for me at least. Why? Because most of the video game orchestrated soundtracks sounds awfully similar. Go play Mario Galaxy, you can't differentiate a lot of tracks from each other, because they sound the same -.- Of course, there are exceptions, like Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and Zelda Skyward Sword. Coincidentally these three are Action-adventure games. So, maybe Game Freak decide to make orchestrated music and they happen to sound good. Go Ichinose, Hitomi Sato, Junichi Masuda and the others never let me down with Pokémon music, anyway...

They probably wont, actually. If they'd had any intention of doing so they would have with D/P/P. There's nothing wrong with real instruments, though.
The two most popular Nintendo franchises besides Pokémon (Mario and Zelda) had orchestrated music in their last major installments (Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Zelda Skyward Sword), so it is definitely possible to happen the same with Pokémon. And no, there is nothing wrong with real instruments, but video game music with real instrument usually suck (in my opnion, of course).

Last edited:

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
That's perfectly respectable music as well, you know.

I never meant to say that it was bad. of course it is good. I was just contrasting between the 2.
@Nyarlathotep : Nor am I saying that the Computer made music is bad. That's basically saying that all pokemon music is bad ( which is not true at all ). I'm saying that orchestrated is fine with me as well.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The two most popular Nintendo franchises besides Pokémon (Mario and Zelda) had orchestrated music in their last major installments (Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Zelda Skyward Sword), so it is definitely possible to happen the same with Pokémon. And no, there is nothing wrong with real instruments, but video game music with real instrument usually suck (in my opnion, of course).

There's a big difference though, both of those franchises are handled by a different team from Game Freak. Game Freak does entirely their own thing. And I quite like Galaxy and Skyward Sword's soundtracks.

scorpio66

I thought the music on Black 2 (and White 2 I guess as I only own Black 2) was the best music of all the main series pokemon games to date!

Also if there was just ONE thing I'd request in Gen 6 pokemon it would be the ability to transfer pokemon between two games without needing two ds's/3ds's.
The way I think this can be done is either an eshop app where you can transfer pokemon to from one game and then download them onto another game (kind of how the dream radar app works) OR if theres a global link site/dream world site as in Gen 5, why couldnt they make it so that you could 'wake up' a pokemon you've put to sleep on one game, on another game that is also synch'ed to the same account.

I just feel that this is a real issue especially as often people will have pokemon they wish to trade over to their new games from their older ones and the majority of us are unable to afford or to justify the expenditure of buying a second handheld specifically just for trading purposes between games we personally own!

Last edited:

Zix Serro

Back to speculation on the 'new mechanic', as that can stand to be a total game-changer if it's something cool.

I personally wouldn't mind moves that level up the more they're used; maybe they become more powerful or accurate the more often the pokemon performs them? After all, practice does make perfect, so why not implement that into the games? Sure, it may seem unfair at first, but at the same time, it would push trainers to make their pokemon the strongest and best they can possibly be.

Something related to happiness would be cool, too, like a pokemon getting stat boosts (or maybe even EV boosts) the happier they are. Considering that all we get out of happiness at the moment is a few evolutions and power-ups on a couple of moves, they could definitely do more with the invisible stat.

ToeyJoey

The Count

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Orchestrated music is a given in these games. We have already had the introduction of real-life instruments in B/W2 in the title theme and if GF managed to format that on DS then there's absolutely no doubt that it will return with full effect on the 3DS. We've got evolution of the graphics and (hopefully) gameplay, it would only be logical for the music to be upgraded from the pitiful MIDI instruments of yesteryear.

Although of course if they retain the current instrument system.... would it really be a loss? Just listen to the likes of the Marine Tube and Reversal Mountain (both versions) on good quality earphones and you've already got brilliant, sophisticated sound quality far from your typical DS game. Although I am really hoping for some orchestrated tracks, I don't want a dominance of such styles like in Skyward Sword or Galaxy (wouldn't really suit the feel of the series) but live instruments and perhaps some big-band pieces would be fantastic. For once, I remain optimistic.
someone should open a x/y music thread, even if we've got nothing to go by atm.

Last edited:

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I'm soooooo sorry of this belongs on the characters threads, but I hope that cynthia's in the game if orchestarted music is: her theme fully orchestrated would be awesome!

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Let me ask you guys... what would you prefer:

A: Pokémon's cries are the same as always?
B: Older Pokémon gets updated cries, and newer stays the same?
C: Pokémon now say their name/growls/etc, like in the anime?

At least, I think this should be in the Gameplay part... sorry if it shouldn't. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.