• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_btvs

Survived the other what? The mechanics changes youre suggesting are way more drastic than the introduction of abilities or triple battles.

We survived the atk s atk changes... And by the time i didnt see a lot of people saying "hey we need that changed) i'm not saying chage it all the type chart... But make some changes.... Just to make some types(like poison) more competitve

BurningWhiteKyurem

We survived the atk s atk changes... And by the time i didnt see a lot of people saying "hey we need that changed) i'm not saying chage it all the type chart... But make some changes.... Just to make some types(like poison) more competitve

You do realize the physical/special split was needed? It never made sense how certain physical moves were branded as special and vice versa. Also, you don't need the type chart to fix poison. You can boost it by giving it better moves and better Pokemon. Remember how bad Fighting was in Gen I? Now it's amongst the best offensive types to use.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
But the attack split A: Made sense, because in Gen III Shadow Ball was physical and Fire Punch was Special and B: People could get their heads around it. It's not like if they changed the types and people would have to constantly remind themselves that the poison-type gym leader can do supereffective STAB damage to your Ice type(Which also doesn't make much sense).

Although I agree poison type kinda sucks offensively.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
My biggest thing about changing things like types or giving Pokemon evolutions to make them stronger and equal is that not all Pokemon should be equal. Should we give our poodles steroids so they can fight the alligators? No. I look at Pokemon first and foremost as a world of diverse creatures with the potential to interact and become friends with humans and each other. Battling is just for our enjoyment. We don't need equality, we need diversity.

Richie_btvs

I do know i was needded thats my point...
Maybe they change things that could be good... Just because we dont see it yet ir dosent mean it cant be good....

Last edited:

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
*Sigh* Here we go again with this damn type argument. I already explained why the current type chart as it is, is not balanced and people still try to argue otherwise and try to use that damn gen 1 over powered Psychic excuse. I'm talking to you BurningWhiteKyurem. However, i'm not even going to get into it because a good portion of you people on this site are so stubborn and ignorant it doesn't even matter...

Anyway...I would love it if we get the starters through a different method than before. Like maybe The Professor of the region(if there is one) gets robbed and we must get them from some underground black market Pokemon dealer(The Evil team perhaps?)? Or better yet rescue them from the black market dealer. The one you decide to take first would be your chosen starter.

Nimpe88

I think gym leader themes besides monotypes would be cool. Some off the top of my head could be double/triple/rotational battle, weather, or more specific tactics like taking advantage of stalling toxic or something with protect. And like before, they can put some useful pokemon and tms right before that gym to help out like Helping Hand/follow me users, cloud nine, or feint. I dunno, change is always nice.

confuser987

*Sigh* Here we go again with this damn type argument. I already explained why the current type chart as it is, is not balanced and people still try to argue otherwise and try to use that damn gen 1 over powered Psychic excuse. I'm talking to you BurningWhiteKyurem. However, i'm not even going to get into it because a good portion of you people on this site are so stubborn and ignorant it doesn't even matter...

Anyway...I would love it if we get the starters through a different method than before. Like maybe The Professor of the region(if there is one) gets robbed and we must get them from some underground black market Pokemon dealer(The Evil team perhaps?)? Or better yet rescue them from the black market dealer. The one you decide to take first would be your chosen starter.

So like human trafficking except with pokemon. I like that.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
So like human trafficking except with pokemon. I like that.

Yeah, with this the evil team would play more of a role in the story line. I feel like the past with evil teams we(as in the player) just sorta butted our way into their business without any real reason. If you really look at it the evil teams never actually did anything to the player until we butted in. With this though we can have some sort of animosity built from them doing this to us and kind of want revenge or something along those lines.

flameroom.jpg
This place reminds me of the hunchback of notredame, It looks like a church, since the region would be based on paris, it would be cool
if the gym leader/elite four would look like Frollo.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I wish there will be a triple/rotation battle gym...dunno why they didn't do it in BW and BW2.Maybe they just wanted to see how we'd react to the concept of triple battles before jumping towards bigger stuff.

And I hope gyms won't focus on types anymore...I'm sick of that formula.I want them to focus on forest pokemon,or urban pokemon,or physical,special,defensive,lizard,cute,scary,serious,cool,bird[not flying] pokemon.

I could imagine a gym leader that only uses bird pokemon and he'd be based on an ornithologist.

Last edited:

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
I wish there will be a triple/rotation battle gym...dunno why they didn't do it in BW and BW2.Maybe they just wanted to see how we'd react to the concept of triple battles before jumping towards bigger stuff.

And I hope gyms won't focus on types anymore...I'm sick of that formula.I want them to focus on forest pokemon,or urban pokemon,or physical,special,defensive,lizard,cute,scary,serious,cool,bird[not flying] pokemon.

I could imagine a gym leader that only uses bird pokemon and he'd be based on an ornithologist.
I can't see that making much of a difference, at least some of the time. With forest, I guess it could be bug and grass, but for things like bird? I can't even think of any bird-based pokemon that aren't flying type. As for themed teams, I'd rather leave them to other NPCs, the Battle Frontier, etc. Gym Leaders (except for Blue) have all followed the type-based rule, and it works fine.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
IMO, non-type themes would only work effectively if the regional dex is big.
Or better yet, post-game since you're already considering the National Dex and there will be a lot of Pokemon to choose from.
Regional Dex is kinda limited, and there might be instances wherein you couldn't even make a team out of a certain theme.

I would still prefer if they specialize in types. Their Pokemon can be dual-types anyway.

I can't see that making much of a difference, at least some of the time. With forest, I guess it could be bug and grass, but for things like bird? I can't even think of any bird-based pokemon that aren't flying type. As for themed teams, I'd rather leave them to other NPCs, the Battle Frontier, etc. Gym Leaders (except for Blue) have all followed the type-based rule, and it works fine.

There are actually quite a few birds that aren't Flying-type:
Porygon line (crane), Torchic line (Hen), and the Piplup line (Penguin)

But as we can see...they are limited.

Nimpe88

Well, sure, the current gym system works fine, but personally I think think they're too simple as is. Any gym can easily be countered by using the pokemon that has the move that's super effective against the type. Typically a well rounded team will always already have this in their access and the gyms are just passed through. Any current challenge you might face if you're a little underleveled is that some gyms have comes from their one boss pokemon that has a bit of a unfair advantage, but these only serve as a forced grinding session for those who were behind previously. If the strategies required to pass these gyms required more preparation or strategy, it would actually make them a significant challenge you have to work to get past to progress instead of 20 minutes spamming one move on everything you see.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Well, sure, the current gym system works fine, but personally I think think they're too simple as is. Any gym can easily be countered by using the pokemon that has the move that's super effective against the type. Typically a well rounded team will always already have this in their access and the gyms are just passed through. Any current challenge you might face if you're a little underleveled is that some gyms have comes from their one boss pokemon that has a bit of a unfair advantage, but these only serve as a forced grinding session for those who were behind previously. If the strategies required to pass these gyms required more preparation or strategy, it would actually make them a significant challenge you have to work to get past to progress instead of 20 minutes spamming one move on everything you see.
First off, remember that 10-year olds play the games too. While challenge is always nice, you can't sell many games by making little kids cry in frustration. This is why I'm hoping for a difficulty option in these games, so that I can feel like I'm being challenged.
And remember with type-based, there's always dual-types. You can't just spam Thunderbolt against a water leader if they have a gastrodon or something. I personally think GF has gotten better at making Gym teams not weak to one type lately.

Hakunamawatta

Poké Earth Traveller
First off, remember that 10-year olds play the games too. While challenge is always nice, you can't sell many games by making little kids cry in frustration. This is why I'm hoping for a difficulty option in these games, so that I can feel like I'm being challenged.
And remember with type-based, there's always dual-types. You can't just spam Thunderbolt against a water leader if they have a gastrodon or something. I personally think GF has gotten better at making Gym teams not weak to one type lately.
well if they use a gastrodon then they are even weaker to grass....

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~

I think the fact that you can battle a gym leader on switch settings is what makes it easy. You can just switch to whatever Pokemon has a super effective move against the sent in pokemon. This is why I think Gym leader matches should be mandatory set, like Frontier matches.

edu1987

I think the gym leaders should have a larger linup team and then randomly pick a certain amount of them to put into battle, this would make it more interesting

lorcan4

has there any information about poke transfer in the X&Y game or like you can transfer your old pokemon to the new one like in black and white and will it still have the global trade features?

Status
Not open for further replies.