• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regality

Digital King
Like I said, it could even be pre-programed phrases relying on the situation.

I quite liked how they handled talking in the mystery dungeon games (explorer and team) but I am not sure if it could work for main series games...

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I quite liked how they handled talking in the mystery dungeon games (explorer and team) but I am not sure if it could work for main series games...

It wasn't bad.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I think it's a little weird I'm getting extremely excited to see what kind of clothing we'll be able to get for are trainer.
Anyone got ideas/hopes on what we might get, perhaps we might get some clothing like in Battle Revolution. It's possible we might get some clothing from DLC, like maybe some clothing based on past protagonists?

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
so any smash news on saturday???

Grey Wind

Like I said, it could even be pre-programed phrases relying on the situation.
I wouldn't mind a situation similar to Skyward Sword where you pick one of a couple of pre-set phrases which changes the character's and NPC's reactions. Little touches like that are nice.

Quit asking this all the time, if there's significant news it'll be posted on the main site.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Anyone think we'll be able to speak, even slightly? I hate how we get into these huge situations and are unable to say something. Even phrases would be nice.

Pokemon is one of the few games that still have a silent protagonist. I'm totally fine with the player character not talking, and I can't think of any reason why they need to start. I remember an interview from ages back where one of the developers said that they would likely never give the player anything more to say than yes/no because having the character talk in game by saying preprogrammed phrases would take the player out of the game, even just slightly, and ruin the illusion that you actually are your trainer.

You seriously don't have to post in every thread. There's a Smash discussion thread, just go there...

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Or, you know, the far more obvious conclusion of bug type.

What makes you say so?

This is unnecessary.
You seriously don't have to post in every thread.
You sir, are getting on my nerves...
Quit asking this all the time, if there's significant news it'll be posted on the main site.
I'm just as anxious for info as you, Gergenator, but that doesn't cause me to spam the same question on every thread when it is clear (especially to these people) that there's also a thread and a site known as Serebii.net that posts this info.

Gameplay-wise: I hope there are different shoes or footwear for different terrains. Running shoes tend to wear out when they've been worn and used all over the place. They should implement hiking shoes to run on rocky terrain, such as mountains. Ice skates could be a good way of traversing icy floors. We could get boots for wading through mud.
I'd like to see different types of clothing for good use rather than aesthetic implemented in the game!

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
What makes you say so?

Well, for starters, I personally don't see GF introducing a new type, not in this gen or in any future gen until the type chart becomes, for whatever reason, as screwed up and imbalanced as it was in Gen I. Not to mention, there are far easier ways of rebalancing it than introducing a new type that would completely shake up preexisting play mechanics. I also think that they don't need to change things up any more than they usually do in the previous few generations. They're always adding new mechanics/moves/pokemon to make the gameplay more interesting and different, and they don't need new types to do that. I've been very resistant to adopting this new type speculation throughout the past few months, and I think I have a valid reasoning for it.

I think there's evidence enough to show that Sylveon could be flying, bug or perhaps even dragon type, and many other people have posited as such. Since bug type has been called into question right now, I'll just give my reasons for that, but if people are curious, I can write up some flying and dragon type reasoning again. Anyway, to the point...

Most of us have seen the butterfly-esque bow fly at the screen in the trailer. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that and won't dwell on it. More to the point, one of Sylveon's biggest features are its flesh ribbons that sorta billow in the wind. Most mamallian creatures don't have skin folds like that, or if they do, they tend to be either around their limbs (see flying squirrels and bats) and serve as a gliding function, or they are their ears, and serve to capture large ranges of sound, and also serve to cool down large animals (like elephants). However, if Sylveon is a bug type, those ribbons could easily be antennae, used to pick up sensory impulses. Sylveon also has large, dark eyes. Though large eyes are not necessarily uncommon in the Eevee line, they could be compoundeyes, though not shaded in the way of Butterfree's.

Bug types have a lot of diversity in their movepools, with quite a few having access to psychic type and flying type moves, along with others. Those could lend credence to the "flashier" moves Sylveon has used in its trailer appearance. The Eevelutions tend to be rather "cutesy" and have a large fan appeal, thus they are good for marketing and merchandising. If they wanted to implement a bug type Eevee, using a butterfly as a base is a good way to start, because we tend to regard butterflies as pretty and elegant. They also wouldn't want to deviate from its more mammalian roots, because each Eevelution has stayed true to Eevee's basic physiology. So, Sylveon could be a mammalian-esque creature with insect-like tendencies.

And before people start harping on me with "Oh, on Smash they showed Sylveon could beat X types and not Y types"...
You mean to tell me you've never beaten a Charizard with a Lucario? Or a Braviary with a Gallade? Typing isn't the only thing that wins battles, and Smash has shown itself not to be the most reliable source several times in the past.

To keep things on topic (slightly): one of the biggest reasons I am opposed to new types and new type speculation is because Gamefreak doesn't need to put in a new type and change up their game to keep things interesting. They've proven perfectly competent at keeping the game balanced before with the 17 types they've got. Not to mention, Fairy is a very broad umbrella, and even with compelling evidence people can cling to calling something "fairy" because of that broad definition. Since so many different cultures have so many different concepts of a fairy, even the most well-rounded argument can be refuted with "Oh yeah, well, it fits this one definition so obviously I'm right!" And when discussions and speculation get derailed into that every five or six pages, it's really hard to have a good dialogue going.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Most of us have seen the butterfly-esque bow fly at the screen in the trailer. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that and won't dwell on it. More to the point, one of Sylveon's biggest features are its flesh ribbons that sorta billow in the wind. Most mamallian creatures don't have skin folds like that, or if they do, they tend to be either around their limbs (see flying squirrels and bats) and serve as a gliding function, or they are their ears, and serve to capture large ranges of sound, and also serve to cool down large animals (like elephants). However, if Sylveon is a bug type, those ribbons could easily be antennae, used to pick up sensory impulses. Sylveon also has large, dark eyes. Though large eyes are not necessarily uncommon in the Eevee line, they could be compoundeyes, though not shaded in the way of Butterfree's.

Bug types have a lot of diversity in their movepools, with quite a few having access to psychic type and flying type moves, along with others. Those could lend credence to the "flashier" moves Sylveon has used in its trailer appearance. The Eevelutions tend to be rather "cutesy" and have a large fan appeal, thus they are good for marketing and merchandising. If they wanted to implement a bug type Eevee, using a butterfly as a base is a good way to start, because we tend to regard butterflies as pretty and elegant. They also wouldn't want to deviate from its more mammalian roots, because each Eevelution has stayed true to Eevee's basic physiology. So, Sylveon could be a mammalian-esque creature with insect-like tendencies.

Oh, I get it. I mean, Sylveon does look pretty buggy with those light neon blue eyes that none of the other eeveelutions have (Glaceon's are slightly smaller and a dark shade of blue). Sylveon is quite cute yet seemingly formidable, imo, maybe because, as you pointed out, it has that butterfly concept that they had to expand to a mammalian structure. The ribbons look more like they grew as decoration rather than for acting as antennae, but being antennae disguised as ribbons would be sensible if it were a Bug-type.

Lady Anya

Would this be the right thread to bring up holidays?

I know the idea has been tossed around before, on various forums, but I still think that some sort of concept introducing holidays into the series would be interesting. Nothing over the top, maybe not even real holidays, but I think it could be doable.

I mean, I'd love a Halloween-themed day where most of the wild pokemon you encounter are Ghost-types, and spooky versions of the town music plays. Stuff like that.

And of course, there could be completely made up holidays/festivals, but I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, sure, the idea of holidays is somewhat pointless in the grand scheme of things, but it'd be interesting.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Would this be the right thread to bring up holidays?

I know the idea has been tossed around before, on various forums, but I still think that some sort of concept introducing holidays into the series would be interesting. Nothing over the top, maybe not even real holidays, but I think it could be doable.

I mean, I'd love a Halloween-themed day where most of the wild pokemon you encounter are Ghost-types, and spooky versions of the town music plays. Stuff like that.

And of course, there could be completely made up holidays/festivals, but I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, sure, the idea of holidays is somewhat pointless in the grand scheme of things, but it'd be interesting.

You're good.

Yes this is quite interesting since it'd be sensible to have holidays. Idk why they haven't done this before (maybe not to offend people who disfavor the holiday?) but this sounds like a cool feature.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
You sir, are getting on my nerves...
The answer: no.
But they gave some hints about a rumor that Sylveon is a Fairy type.

actually it hinted more towards bug the ribbon flew off like a butter fly, it was weak to poison from the test and strong to ice how to explain duel type maybe?

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Thank you Firebrand now at least I don't feel alone on the idea that we're not getting a new type this gen

I think this might still be on topic but
I think Sylveon is going to be a Normal Type everything about Sylveon screams Normal Type to me

Heres why
Many Normal Types are Cream or Bage(can't spell it) colored
Many Normal Types have pink on them
Some Normal Types have that blue on them
Most Normal Types have a broad movepool so having a move that damages ice types isn't unusual
was Sylveon really weak to Poison like was Poison SE or just hit really hard? (I haven't see the video so I don't know)

Now the theme I see for Sylveon is a French Dog the kind you walk or carry around in a bag hense the dog tail and because it's a French Dog it's got to have come fashion element to it hence the ribbon

Now your argument on it being a bug type does seem valid but I personally think if it was going to be any type other then Normal it'd be flying as the ends of those ribbons look a aweful lot like the ends of a Wingull's Wings

Adding another type just seems like it might cause more problems then it would fix and it would make the game more complecated for new players something I think GF was trying to avoid right now to a degree I think

R_N

actually it hinted more towards bug the ribbon flew off like a butter fly, it was weak to poison from the test and strong to ice how to explain duel type maybe?

It's not dual type, they've been talking about what type the thing is, not types.

Besides there's no cross section of Bug/Anything that is weak to poison and strong to ice unless they drastically changed up the type chart

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Besides we don't even have a Eeveelution of each type yet it seems a bit early to be getting into duel-types just yet

In reguards to the Holiday thing I think it would be great if Seasons come into this Gen then I don't see why not maybe we can get special outfits for the Holidays and like said maybe on certain Holidays certain pokemon become more easy to catch like on Easter would be Rabbits and Birds on Halloween Ghosts and Dark Types and on Christmas Ice and certain other Pokemon

They could also add in Japanese festivals like Obon (Almost like Halloween) and that one I can't remember the name of off hand it would make Celestual Pokemon easier to catch and im sure theres French Festivals/Holidays so you could add those too and make up some Kalos exclusive Festivals/Holidays

Also this is off topic from the Holidays and I asked before but does anybody think there will be Catacombs under Luminose City and that those Catacombs will serve as the Poketower (where dead pokemon are buried and Ghost Pokemon Show up) of this Region?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Thank you Firebrand now at least I don't feel alone on the idea that we're not getting a new type this gen

I think this might still be on topic but
I think Sylveon is going to be a Normal Type everything about Sylveon screams Normal Type to me

Heres why
Many Normal Types are Cream or Bage(can't spell it) colored
Many Normal Types have pink on them
Some Normal Types have that blue on them
Most Normal Types have a broad movepool so having a move that damages ice types isn't unusual
was Sylveon really weak to Poison like was Poison SE or just hit really hard? (I haven't see the video so I don't know)

Now the theme I see for Sylveon is a French Dog the kind you walk or carry around in a bag hense the dog tail and because it's a French Dog it's got to have come fashion element to it hence the ribbon

Now your argument on it being a bug type does seem valid but I personally think if it was going to be any type other then Normal it'd be flying as the ends of those ribbons look a aweful lot like the ends of a Wingull's Wings

Adding another type just seems like it might cause more problems then it would fix and it would make the game more complecated for new players something I think GF was trying to avoid right now to a degree I think

Those new players will get the hang of it eventually anyway, plus it's not that hard to learn what's weak and strong against each type. Plus Gamefreak would never screw up the type chart that bad.

R_N

Those new players will get the hang of it eventually anyway, plus it's not that hard to learn what's weak and strong against each type. Plus Gamefreak would never screw up the type chart that bad.

Besides to new players everything will be new anyway
One more type to a chart they've never looked at wont over complicate anything (and certainly no more than what GSC did). "Ah this type does well against this other type" is pretty simple stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.