• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gamers

No. 1 Machop Fan

So, what is the general personality of today's gamers?

My general experience with gamers tells me that they are, as a rule, arrogant, pompous and ignorant. How far do you think that is from the truth?

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
Seeing as I am a gamer myself, yes. I have 2/3 of those atributes.

ChedWick

"Gamers" covers a very wide variety of people. Your description no doubt covers a portion but certainly not all. With the types of games I play I'd say there is trend of having a false sense of entitlement, which really pisses me off because most often it kills the immersiveness of the games I play.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I'm a massive gammer. You can't sterotype people just because they play video games.

Exactly. Though those attributes aren't too rare, stereotypical gamers you see =/= every gamer's said stereotype.

Again, I'm not saying that it isn't true that there are arrogant gamers out there. But what one sees on television or whatever doesn't exactly mean it's a copy of what all other gamers are like.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Your description is a very small perception of a massive population of people.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I hear they're just tired of people who act like they have sand in their vagina.

paracelsus

It depends on your definition of gamer really. I play video games, hell I'm posting on this site at 1237 on a friday, but I still don't fit that description

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think that's the small minority of gamers, and most of them, I believe, have issues, mental or not. I have a gamer friend who's shy and doesn't talk much, but she's really sweet when you get to know her, and she lets me play the games if I want to, or shows me how the game works. But she doesn't play on her Playstation or Wii the whole time I'm there, since we do things that friends do, and she's not ignorant or addicted (well, maybe she is of the latter, but it's rather mild).

Zachmac

My general experience with gamers tells me that they are, as a rule, arrogant, pompous and ignorant. How far do you think that is from the truth?
Arrogant and pompous? Whenever I say something to someone in real life, I freak because I'm afraid of offending them. Also, I view myself as a cowardly wimp, I'm more than 6 feet tall and I can't handle a spider or getting mud on my hands.
Usually I see it as people go too far with them...almost never socializing.
For some of us, such as myself, it's the other way around. I don't suck at dealing with people irl because I game a lot, I game a lot because I'm terrible at socializing. I personally have a case of social anxiety, as I believe it was called.

Oh, and that's only some gamers. My older sister would hang out with gamers sometimes. I believe that would be social interaction.
I'm a massive gammer. You can't sterotype people just because they play video games.
Precisely.

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I think this:
arrogant, pompous and ignorant.
Describes a small percentage of 1st person shooters. Which is most likely because they think that the game is just like real life. FYI It ain't!

I might be Arrogant. I know I'm Pompous? Everyone's Ignorant about something. Personally, I figure I have earned the right to boast. I have been married to my wife(of 23 years) for well over the national average (8.7 years average), I have raised a 20 year old daughter who isn't pregnant or on drugs, I have a wonderful son, good job, nice house (with problems but it is a nice house over all). So yeah, I have a right to brag. I also have a right to be taken down a peg or two when I get to full of myself ;D

Zachmac

You know what gamers are? People who play video games a lot. That won't tell you much about a person.
Describes a small percentage of 1st person shooters. Which is most likely because they think that the game is just like real life.
And that small percent can be the loudest about gaming to, giving other players bad names. I've actually never played very many 1st person shooters, but my little sister absolutely hates them because of those people. I don't play them just because they don't interesting me enough.

I'll bet it's where almost of the gamer stereotypes came from.

Invisiblade97

So, what is the general personality of today's gamers?
Most of the gamers I know are actually pretty cool.
My general experience with gamers tells me that they are, as a rule, arrogant,
Not really. I'm a gamer, and I'm far from arrogant.
Once again, not really.
and ignorant.
And again, not really. I'd say I'm rather open minded.
How far do you think that is from the truth?
I think you're just describing a minority of gamers who just post everywhere to make them seem like the majority of gamers.

~Kari~

Exactly! I'm not arrogant, pompous, or ignorant! I love too goof around and most people say I'm a joy to be around. Don't go stereotyping a whole group of people based on a few that you've met. The only gamers who have those traits are a small group of people who LIVE on exceedingly violent games or FP shooters. Unless the person was born a mean person, but that's different.