• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Games from before your time that you enjoyed.

Cobalt_Latios

Hoo lawd, waaaay too many to count. Everything Mega Man and games made by Nintendo is a good portion though.
Pretty much this. Glad I can re-experience this stuff on the newer consoles though.

/CL

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
when you're born in '86, there's not too much preceding you. Aside from the original Super Mario Bros. (which came out just a year before me), there was mostly just arcade, Atari, and (as Psychic Politoed mentioned) Game & Watch, maybe some others. Though, while a lot of these games can be fun, I can't say I'm really able to get too into anything where the only goal is trying to get a high score, so the bulk of games that I love came out well after me. But for the sake of this thread, sans the aforementioned Super Mario Bros., I can say I've had fond memories of playing Mouse Trap on my aunt and uncle's Colecovision whenever I came to visit (it's pretty much a Pac-man clone, for those unfamiliar).

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Super Mario Bros. When I first played it, I didn't really like it because of the graphics and because I found it really difficult. However, over time I have gotten much better at it and have grown to really enjoy it.

There's also this game called Landstalker for the Sega Genesis. My uncle gave me his copy of the game, and I was instantly hooked. It was really challenging and took me several years to beat, but I eventually became *really* good at it and have played through it several times. It's a really fun game once you've mastered it.

Antiyonder

Overlord
I got Intellivision Lives in the mail the other day and it's overall a hit and miss. Like with the Atari Compilations, I pretty much knew that not all of the games would get my attention right away, but I found some pretty decent ones:

- Astrosmash (Similar to Asteroids and just as fun)
- Space Armada (Basically a clone of Space Invaders, and back then if the title or some superficial aspects were different, then a copy of a game could legally be made by someone else.)
- Buzz Bomber
- Nightstalker
- Thin Ice
- Pinball

cantab

when you're born in '86, there's not too much preceding you.
Pretty much the same boat here (well, '87 not '86 for me).

However, I only played Chrono Trigger last November. Neither the SNES original nor the Playstation remake reached Europe, so the first official release we had was the DS version. (I decided to go with the original SNES version though). It. Is. Magnificent.

metroid_girl

Etecoon Trainer
I was born in '88, played my first game (Castlevania II) in 1990. I don't remember playing games that early on (my brother told me I held the controller upside down and kept making poor Simon jump into the lakes.)

I got to playing lots of early nintendo games like the first mario, donkey kong, legend of zelda and metroid. Aside from nintendo, I also played games like Asteroids and Sopwith, a bunch of random atari games and c64 games. There are plenty more titles that I could list, but I'll leave it at that. XD I'll always be a fan of classic pixely goodness. New games with awesome graphics is nice, but I'll always love the retro world. :D

Ataro

Gym Leader wanna be
Legend of Zelda, hands down.

Chris

Old Coot
when you're born in '86, there's not too much preceding you. Aside from the original Super Mario Bros. (which came out just a year before me), there was mostly just arcade, Atari, and (as Psychic Politoed mentioned) Game & Watch, maybe some others.
Pretty much this, only I was born in '85. Not a whole lot of noteworthy games. Especially when there was a video game market crash two years prior to my year of birth.

Pretty much the same boat here (well, '87 not '86 for me).

However, I only played Chrono Trigger last November. Neither the SNES original nor the Playstation remake reached Europe, so the first official release we had was the DS version. (I decided to go with the original SNES version though). It. Is. Magnificent.
Get the DS version. Best of both the SNES and PS versions, minus the awful loading times of the PS version and a better translation than the SNES version. The absolute final boss makes it well worth it.

Last edited:

treespyro

Vintage much?
Pacman, Super Mario on NES and that's about it.

That's about it really

A small handful of NES games from before my birth. And a few after, since I guess some of those would count as "before my time" since my video gaming history didn't start until near the time when the SNES was released.

Mega Man 2.

was bloody awful by NES Mega Man standards. Seriously the second-worst of them in my opinion. At least the Robot Masters were memorable.

Chris

Old Coot
was bloody awful by NES Mega Man standards. Seriously the second-worst of them in my opinion. At least the Robot Masters were memorable.
As much as I think MM2 is overhyped, that's some serious trolling right there.

Mega Man 5 was the one with absolutely no redeeming qualities.

Seem

Hollen i ven.
Being born in the early 80s, there was only a few at the time haha!

Coleco Telstar comes to mind. That 70s console I loved to pieces.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Chrono Trigger.

Asterio

Pac-Man, Mario, Dig Dug, Galaxian (or whatever it was called), Pong. I'm definitely missing a few, but I can't remember them all.

Sapphire_Pichu

I hate Ringo...