• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Games so great that you believe there will never be another game like it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I kind of feel this way with Pikmin 2.
While Pikmin 3 is still a good game, Pikmin 2 had the dungeons with different environmental themes, and all the treasures to collect.

joombo

CS:GO it's my favorite game of all times. Gaming is my passion and i follow csgo matches today. Recently I found database with esports results and all upcoming matches and scores at https://tips.gg/csgo/matches/. That's convy. I'm planning to take part in tournaments to improve my gaming skills too.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Pokémon Gold & Silver.
Fun Fact: It was not the success of Pokémon Red & Green that cemented the franchise, but the success of Gold & Silver, which led to Pokémon's expansion into a global media powerhouse.

As a gamer, I still list Gold & Silver as the best title in the entire series, as well as my favorite. This was the title that revealed there are more than just 151 pokemon, thus igniting a whole new approach to the game. This was the title that revealed there are more than 15 types, and the title that introduced Special Defense, thus changing the way we battle forever. This was the first and still only main title that allowed you to explore more than one region. This was the first title to be a sequel.

No matter how far we go, and I think with Gen 9 we will see just that, I don't think we will ever have a Pokémon game - or video game in general - as grand as Pokémon Gold & Silver.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I recently player Persona 5 Royal and it was amazing. Definitely trumps any Pokemon game. Looking forward to playing the other games in the Persona franchise

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Skyrim! Yeah! It’s got lots of fun side quests and enemies to kill. Also, l o r e

Raffel

Well, I may sound pathetic, but for me, it's CS:GO. I mean, it's a great game, and I bet you loved it at one point too.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I recently player Persona 5 Royal and it was amazing. Definitely trumps any Pokemon game. Looking forward to playing the other games in the Persona franchise
Persona 5 Strikers is a good sequel game. It’s like an RPG musuo, but it doesn’t feel too similar to other musuos.

PoDiRancher

That's easy, Chrono Trigger. Even its sequel wasn't like it...

Also, Earthbound. There's lots of copycats lately but none are actually like it.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
If I had to pick two Earthbound like RPGs that I really liked and pushed things in a way Earthbound did, I would go with Lisa: The Painful RPG and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. The former I enjoy better than Earthbound, especially on a gameplay level, but it’s definitely not a game for everyone because of how it subverts traditional RPG mechanics

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Mario Kart 8 DX will be hard to top given how successful the original game was on the Wii U and the Switch port was even more successful. The vehicles are easier to control but not too easy that you could win every race by just holding down one button and the character selection is really good.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Also, Earthbound. There's lots of copycats lately but none are actually like it.
There was Mother 3, which having played it, I like it a tad bit more.

Although to be fair, Earthbound was more of the 90s suburban American parody. Mother 3 had quite a different setup.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Xenoblade Chronicles X. For me, Breath of the Wild is not a successor to Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess but a spiritual successor to the open-world exploration of Xenoblade Chronicles X. Everytime people say there won't be another game like Breath of the Wild, sometimes I tell them to check out Xenoblade Chronicles X, it's made by the same devs who supervised Breath of the Wild's open world design.

Seriously, after these many years I have yet to find another science fiction space opera game that can compare itself to the beautiful but alien world of XCX. You got two worlds, the plains with the floating islands and the colorful jungle full of weird wildlife, that looks like they're from James Cameron Avatar. You got the desert planet that have the remains of a lost alien civilization all over it. You got your typical lava-machine world out of Star Wars. Then you got my favorite where there's nothing quite like it, there's no real comparison I can think of it. A white desert world that also acts like a Christmas wonderland where it feels like it's both summer and winter at the same time. And you can explore this all on foot. If you can see it, you can go there. And than everything changes when you get your flying mech, it feels like you are exploring the entire open world from an entirely different angle.

Amazing game. Easily does exploration better than Breath of the Wild. Don't believe me? Play it if you can.

KillerDraco

Amazing game. Easily does exploration better than Breath of the Wild. Don't believe me? Play it if you can.
Having played both, I can't say I agree entirely.

Xenoblade X has a larger world, especially since Aerial Explorations allows it to have more verticality rather than limiting things to what you can physically climb. Plus, the speed at which you can traverse the world is considerably faster. There's a lot to see, but beyond seeing the sights you're very limited in how you can interact with the world, while in BotW, the physics engine it possesses allows you to interact with the world and explore it in ways that aren't so straightforward. I think it's a testament to the level of quality that four years after the game launched, we still have people discovering new things by playing with the physics engine.

Effectively, Xenoblade X is what I'd call a better sightseeing explorer, while BotW is a better interactive explorer.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Definitely Fallout New Vegas and Saints Row 2. The best games in those franchises and my two favorite games of all time overall! I rarely ever buy non-Pokemon related merchandise but as soon as Bethesda made a Yes Man statue available today I logged straight onto the site and snagged one!

Black/White is a good example story wise as now every Pokemon game has a weak story. Ghetsis will never be topped as the Pokemon franchise's best antagonist, heck he's my favorite antagonist in all gaming due to how manipulative, strategic and overall scumbag he is. He even tried using Giovanni himself proving that he truly is the evilest of all! (The anime did NOT do him justice :( )

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
what about Mother 3? I mean it's its sequel (haven't actually playaed it)

Either way, the original TWEWY's DS version, and I mean it literally due to how much it relied on 2 screens, and well unless something really surprising happens, I doubt we're getting dual screen consoles again, or at least for a long, long time. NEO is awesome too, but I'm saying on a technical level.

PoDiRancher

what about Mother 3? I mean it's its sequel (haven't actually playaed it)

Either way, the original TWEWY's DS version, and I mean it literally due to how much it relied on 2 screens, and well unless something really surprising happens, I doubt we're getting dual screen consoles again, or at least for a long, long time. NEO is awesome too, but I'm saying on a technical level.
It's good but not quite as good. I think it depends on how the emotional aspects hit you, the original Earthbound (well, Mother 2, I mean) didn't rely as much on emotions to resonate with people. It had stronger comedic elements too. But again, Mother 3 is a really good game.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Okay this might seem a bit odd at first and even questionable to a lot of people but if we define “game so great that there will never be another one like it” to mean it caused an actual cultural impact for what it contained rather than how it played or even looked or any other games in the same series then I say the original Mortal Kombat. Hear me out. MK was the driving force behind the development of video game ratings and created a cultural sensation of everyone wanting to play it in arcades. No other video game has caused so many parents to get angry at the over the top violence that a board to monitor and actively give age ratings to future games and if they should or shouldn’t be released had to be made worldwide had to be created. Not even GTA has ever reached that level of greatness. In terms of cultural greatness, there will never be another game like the original arcade version of Mortal Kombat.