• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Games that have made you sad.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The mechanics that are "promoting speed" aren't any good though.

Explain. Simply saying they're "not any good" is subjective.

Not only that, they belong in racing and normal platforming games, not Sonic. So by your logic it's still a bad game.

Sonic is a platformer, though, and racing elements are conducive to speed, so no, by that logic they still fit.

As your logic follows, Metal Gear Rising is a terrible game (despite not being out yet), because it includes mechanics that aren't conducive to a stealth game.

Well IDK anything about Metal Gear gameplay, but generally yes. There are exceptions to the rule, however, such as if the game is a spinoff or reboot, but the examples that have been listed so far are neither.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Explain. Simply saying they're "not any good" is subjective.
Boosting is just terrible. It isn't even a good mechanic. Simply being able to blast through all enemies with minimum effort is poor design. Stomping doesn't make you go fast, neither does the auto homing or Quick step. Drifting just doesn't belong in a Sonic game. Why the **** does Sonic need to drift?

Sonic is a platformer, though, and racing elements are conducive to speed, so no, by that logic they still fit.
Racing cars and running hedgehogs are two different things. Sonic R has taught us this.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Boosting is just terrible. It isn't even a good mechanic. Simply being able to blast through all enemies with minimum effort is poor design. Stomping doesn't make you go fast, neither does the auto homing or Quick step. Drifting just doesn't belong in a Sonic game. Why the **** does Sonic need to drift?

Boosting is debatable, I will admit it's a bit OP, but there's a few good things about it as well, such as having more reflex oriented platforming, but that's not something anyone can appreciate. A lot of the other moves help to make the high speed gameplay more controllable. Homing Attack/Jump Dash helps with 3D platforming, since it's harder to land on precise spots in 3D, and even harder at high speeds. Stomping allows you to cancel your momentum for certain platforming sections. Quick Step and Drift are good for high speed dodging and turning respectively.

Racing cars and running hedgehogs are two different things. Sonic R has taught us this.

I've heard that complaint a lot that Sonic "controls like a car", and I fail to see how Sonic has ever controlled like a car in any game.

At any rate, we're way off topic, so let's take this discussion elsewhere.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
KH: Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days, Chain of Memories, the first game itself- Hold on, practically every KH game is sad except for KH II to most extents and Dream Drop Distance. Actually, DDD made me feel really sad during the last levels. I felt a huge sense of dread and hopelessness in that time, it almost made me want to stop playing...almost.

Skyward Sword to some extent, but it quickly made up for it when Link and Zelda ended up happy: at least I think so.

PMD 1&2, but 2 was sadder to me.

Twilight Princess : ( Why did you have to go!?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Mother 3. ALL OF IT. The whole game is depressing. I can scarcely list all of the reasons, but here are a few.

[spoil]First, the fact that Hinawa dies is a pretty big shock. But after that happens, sunflowers which symbolize Hinawa, become more and more common over the course of the game, like it's deliberately trying to make us all depressed. The funeral scene with Lucas is another example of how depressing this game can get. Just watch that scene, and even out of context it sums up the game perfectly (as well as gives the player a sense of unease pertaining to what comes next).

Over the course of the game, the townspeople of Tazmily go from being helpful to one another, to being as corrupt or moreso than the mayor of the town. Lucas gradually loses his friends in the town, as they start chastizing him for not getting a Happy Box, and they even rebuke Flint for still looking for Claus, who they haven't found yet, when they would've helped him back when Hinawa died.

Toward the end of the game, Claus comes back as the masked man, and Lucas is forced to basically kill him (Claus does himself in after realizing what he's done, but it still feels like you had a part in it).

Then, there's the ending, which I have a controversial theory on. Lucas has had a tough life. He lost his mother to an otherwise friendly drago, he saw his hometown turn corrupt and the people basically turn against him, and on top of that, he watched his own brother die in his arms, all the while everyone around him seemed to care only about him pulling the needles and not about how he felt regarding the situation (except Flint, who actually did spare him a thought). With all that pent up grief and frustration, he pulls that last needle, and does the unthinkable.

The world is destroyed and everyone is killed. Yeah, destroyed, ended, gone and not coming back. My theory on the 'END?' screen is that it's supposed to be like Heaven or Purgatory (more likely Purgatory, given how everyone acted toward Lucas over the course of the game). This explains why you never see where they are. Since nobody knows what Heaven or Purgatory looks like from even a Theological perspective, there'd be no way to animate it in a game. But I do like to imagine that even in a place like that, he found some semblance of peace, and maybe he got reunited with the spirits of his mother and Claus.

I did hear somewhere that this was Shigesato Itoi's original plan for the ending of Mother 3, back when it was called Earthbound 64. If that is indeed the case, then it would make sense that this was also his intention for the ending of Mother 3.

It's for these reasons, as well as several others, that Mother 3 is the most depressing video game I've ever played.[/spoil]

Last edited:

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Mother 3. ALL OF IT. The whole game is depressing. I can scarcely list all of the reasons, but here are a few.

I complete agree. Mother 3 is the saddest game I've played so far, hands down. Though I wouldn't say all of it is depressing. In fact, I really like how that game fits lots of humor into the characters despite the overall depressing tone. Especially with the quirky enemy designs and everything the Magypsies and Mr. Saturns do. The first and last chapters were the saddest for me, as well as Chapter 3 with all the animal cruelty stuff (except for the end of it, one of the happiest moments in the game). And on the ending...

[spoil]My interpretation of the ending was very different from yours... Since a good-hearted person like Lucas pulled the final needle rather than the heartless Masked Man, the world is assumed to be reborn after the Nowhere Islands are destroyed. So despite the fact that all the characters are floating somewhere in limbo (I doubt it's the afterlife/purgatory, as not once does Hinawa or Claus seem to speak in it), that part actually seemed happy to me. Happy, yet very sad, given what Claus did to himself. I really sympathized with Claus--after failing to avenge his mother, being brainwashed by Porky, and seriously hurting both his father and twin brother as a result, just realising what he has done, why wouldn't he want to commit suicide?
[/spoil]
I remember when I finished my first playthrough of the game. I was so depressed and deep in thought afterward that I didn't want to do anything else that night besides sleep... if I even could.

I've played part of FF6 as well, and I found many of the moments in there kind of sad, but the overall more upbeat tone of the game (especially with the extremely catchy main battle music) dampened the sadness for me. They were certainly very touching though, especially with all the backstories. Locke, Terra, and Cyan in particular had really sad backstories. (Well, with Cyan, I felt more hatred for Kefka than plain old sadness, but whatever.)

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
The Walking Dead game is freakin twisted and I felt pretty bad for Kenny's son, Kenny Jr (duck) and the decisions you gotta make in-game. Metal Gear series has its sad moments.

For me its got to be the death of The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. Its really sad that her own country, she sworn to protect, stabs her in the back to prove their innocence to the Soviets. And where you as the player have to pull the trigger to "finish your mission".

Tackoman657

Lampent is good.
It has to be the pmd series. Like cometstarlight said, 2 is sadder than 1. I mean, SPOILER ALERT you dont just leave, you get COMPLETLY WIPED FROM TIME.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
It has to be the pmd series. Like cometstarlight said, 2 is sadder than 1. I mean, SPOILER ALERT you dont just leave, you get COMPLETLY WIPED FROM TIME.

Agreeing to this one. Not to mention the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is very notorious for MANY SCENES AND PLOT WHERE DEATH IS THE TOPIC! I mean, wanna amp the entire thing [graphics, mood, plot, gameplay, etc] to rated T Chunsoft, go ahead! No one's hesitating! I mean, this game can be something wonderful for those growing up already. Wonder what's the next dark thing?

Many of the events of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Seriously, you wanna try this if possible since this game has gameplay inspirations from the Tales Series and the Pokemon Main Series. It's on par with the PMD series in every category [though a much more organized gameplay.]. Poor Oliver ... I feel so sorry for the death of your mother. The other was the bitter truth about the White Witch, the everyday problems of Myrtle and her family, the lost ambition of Phillip due to his guilt (he sees himself responsible for killing Oliver's mom), the lonely tales of Marcissan and Swaine, the unexpected truth about the identity and beginnings of Shadar, and importantly, what truly happened to the Great Sage Alicia.

Metal Gear Solid 3. Why? Why do I have to kill the boss herself? It feels like you just killed your mother since its your mother's wish! It's so hard to say no AND not to kill her. I'm GUILTY FOR THIS!!! Also, the last moments of the end as a character. Oh poor old man. I admit, even if he is such an eternal pain in the ***, I empathize his suffering and triumph to challenge Snake despite his approaching death.

The early parts of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. Yuri and Chelinka witness the death of their father[early on] and mother [later in the game]. The bitter story of the King and his dead daughter.

Final Fantasy X-2. Why, its because of 1000 words (the signature song of sadness)

Campaign story of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. The death of Soap, the treasured student of Captain Price. Its like they have a deep Master and Pupil early in the series. But at the end of Modern Warfare 2 and the entirety of Modern Warfare 3, they are like Father [Price] and Son [Soap]. And to see your son get killed thanks to the ignorance of Yuri, he becomes an angry father. Plus, it only increased his desire to kill Makarov just to Avenge the death of Soap.

Rogue Galaxy. Learning the truth about the dreadful tale of the town of Johannesburg and Johanna herself, the back story of Simon since he can't join his wife and child out of humiliation thanks to his hideous face [his original look was burnt off from an industrial explosion. Then he gets the surgery of the alien face], the purpose of Steve as holder of Mark's memories (the dead son of a certain doctor), the death of Raul [Jaster's Father Figure] and Kisala's father, and the story of the cursed witch found on the Ancient temple of the Juraikan Temple protecting a sacred child.

epicninjask123

LoL Lunatic
I just got done with Final Fantasy VI, and it is probably the saddest game I in particular have ever played. I'd probably be crying with the ending had it not been for the fact that I'm leaving in two days to go out-of-country on a school trip and that I desperately wanted to finish it before I did. Spoiler alert: I'm about to name some things about the game that I consider plot-crucial.

Terra spent almost her entire childhood being raised as a war machine for the Empire. As if it isn't enough, she has no memory of herself when she is finally freed. And as if to add insult to injury, she may disappear completely once kefka is finally defeated due to technically being half-esper. (She doesn't though. Yay.)

As much as I didn't actually use Cyan as a character, his story is quite heartbreaking. First the empire attacks his home of Doma. So he gets sucked into the war to protect his home. But then Kefka goes and poisons the river. So then Cyan has to watch all of his friends, soldiers, and even family die because of the poisoned water supply, made even worse when he sees them board the phantom train to their eternal resting place (or whatever it was called)

Setzer was a unique character. Being able to play the slots while battling was quite fun. But he nearly gives up when the world "ends". Only when you find him does he regain hope to continue on, but to do so, he has to relive his past and find an airship that belonged to his girlfriend who died in an accident involving the airship. I personally felt sorry for him.

This is, in my opinion, the saddest part of the game. Celes, like Terra, was used by the Empire as a war machine (Hell, she was even a general!) yet she is among the first to realize that they have gone too far. When the party reaches the end of the magitek research facility, Kefka shows up and thanks Celes for leading him straight to the party. Locke is especially disturbed about the news, being the one who saved her after all. He then proceeds to blow up the facility, but Celes is able to save the group. You see Celes off and on during the following story, but you never get to play as her again. She is so distraught about what happened that she hardly says anything. Then the apocalypse happens. Celes is the first character you get to play as. You catch fish for Cid, who is dying (and will die if you're like me and can't play the fishing game very well). When he does die, Celes thinks she is the only one left and gives up hope, jumping off the cliff of the tiny island she is on. I knew this suicide attempt was going to happen, yet I still felt sad. This is one of the few video game scenarios that almost made me cry.