• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Games with Great Writing - Recommend them.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Recommend video games with great writing. For example, here is some great and terrible examples of writing for villains.

Great Writing - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas:
Courier: If you're against the Legion, why not join the NCR?
Mr. House: The NCR is walking the same path of the pre-war government. Their leaders are corrupted and they lack a central vision. If you want to see the fate of democracies, just look out the window.

Terrible Writing - Bethesda's Fallout 4:
Sole Survivor: Why are you replacing people with Synths?
Father: You wouldn't understand.

Great Writing - Black Isle's Fallout:
The Master: I... I don't think that I can continue. Continue? To have done the things I have done in the name of progress and healing. It was madness. I can see that now. Madness. Madness? There is no hope. Leave now, leave while you still have hope... I'm sorry.

Terrible Writing - Bethesda's Fallout 3:
Augustus Autumn: I-I am in charge here! I am the Enclave!

Interesting fact about this. Obsidian Entertainment is the successor to Black Isle Studios, the creators of the original Fallout.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Fallout New Vegas is helped by its 4 factions each representing a side of the Nolan Chart, with their own positives and negatives and their interactions with other sides.

shoz999

Fallout New Vegas is helped by its 4 factions each representing a side of the Nolan Chart, with their own positives and negatives and their interactions with other sides.
Let me take a guess.

Caesar's Legion is the Authoritarian faction.
NCR is the Conservative faction.
Mr. House is the Liberal faction.
And if you choose to be, The Courier is the Libertarian faction.

Am I right? Also, what helps the writing of Fallout New Vegas is not just how the 4 major factions interact with each other but how the minor factions, with their different sets of beliefs, and even the most minor of NPCs interact with these major factions, expressing their thoughts on how the major factions work, and how you witness their roles being shaped by these major factions, or in some ways, the other way around in slight areas. It makes the world feel more alive.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Mr. House is Authortarian as he is an eternal strict overlord.

NCR is Liberal as it is a democracy and runs on elected chains of commands.

Caesar’s Legion is Conservative as it’s a strict class system with an explicit underclass

Courier is Libertarian as they leave control to individual settlements.

There are subversions and hypocrisies to each group and each might have members that disagree and philosophize about their current views though.

shoz999

Had another thought, surely many of you who've played this game may agree with me. The Witcher 3 has some great writing but I'm not gonna lie, it's main quest felt like I've already seen from other games. But if you installed the two DLCs, Heart of Stone and Blood & Wine, that's a different story. People almost always talk about Blood & Wine for how insanely big the world it is but what about Heart of Stone? Heart of Stone does not offer an insanely big world or tons of sidequests but what it does offer is brilliant writing in it's fairly long main quest. The thing is, most fans seem to agree that out of the base game, HoS, and the B&W dlc, Heart of Stone has the best story and in my opinion, it has the best character development, world-building, romance option if you choose to pursue, and one of the best villains video game history has ever seen. Don't believe me? Try it yourself and tell me if you've ever met a villain that would either send a chill down your spine or grab your curiosity.

shoz999

Mafia games.
I've played Mafia 2, not 1 or 3. Gotta say, if the games side missions and stuff to do in it's open world were as excellent as it's writing, a story of rags to riches, testing brotherhood and where your loyalty lies, easily a 10/10.

For me personally, I think I'd have to bet my money on the original Xenoblade Chronicles. This is Monolith Soft's writing at it's best, unless your a Xenogears fan, and unlike Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it doesn't waste your time with filler story arcs, it's very well-directed in the voice acting department, and the writing for each and every characters, even Riki, feel so well-delivered that at times, it feels like I'm reading a novel. It starts out as your revenge plot, but as the story moves forward and you forge new friendships and meet new cultures, the main character's goal to revenge starts to feel like it is living in the shadow of an even greater narrative waiting for you. The funny thing is, the writing won't shine it's fullest unless you do another playthrough. Why? Because you will catch a lot of foreshadowing of a greater epic story that is hidden out in the open that you won't catch on the first playthrough.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Paper Mario 1-3 are great as what SHOULD be treated as a trilogy separate from the meh IV-VI(I count Paper Jam as V).

Bad writing?

No question:Resident Evil VI.
Barely feels like a RE game, writing-wise. Even V is better, thanks to Wesker being a meme fontain and actually feeling like a genius mastermind via the plot.

NPC

sleep researcher
I was really impressed with Killer7's writing. Well... not just its writing, but its general story, art direction, and themes. The script on its own is hardly that impressive.

I've also really liked what I've played of AI: The Somnium Files, which is a sci-fi detective visual novel. Not usually my type of thing, but I'm really enjoying it.