• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gaming store disgrace. Anyone thinking of buying a 2nd hand Pokemon game, read.

These game stores don't know how to hire proper employees anymore...

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Like anything you pay for "let the buyer beware" applies. If someone isn't smart enough to know that a ruby cart is supposed to be... well... ruby colored then they probably won't catch on that it's a bootleg when they play it either. So in the end they get what they deserve.

I think that that is a little harsh....

If you're not a serious Pokemon player you would have no idea the cartridges are coloured. It being Grey would be no different from any other GBA game, so to them nothing is wrong.

Don't confuse ignorance with stupidity.

Exactly.

Seriously the people who work at these places just bung it on the shelf. All they do is type in Pokémon Ruby on their computer, see the estimated value and give a price, they don't know if its real or not unless they play the games themselves.

Yes, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out: "Hang on...this is a rather odd colour... Wait a minute! This could be bootlegged!" and then go and check it out in more detail.

Can they get in trouble for having bootleg games?

Indeed they can, look down.

Of course they can get in trouble. It's sales fraud and is against the law. :)

But they wouldn't be charged with that, for they were "oblivious". All that'd happen it they have to write off, or in otherwords, "get rid of" the stock. Thus, they would lose whatever money/store credit they gave for the game.

crudent

Well you can't stop piracy. In this case, tough luck for the person who's buying it then. They should have known about these fakes if they wanted to play pokemon.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Once again, that's a little harsh. What if it's a casual gamer that just thought, "Hey, this looks good, might give it a try"?

cheetahd586

This is Gamestop and EB Games we're talking about, the people that will hire people just because they're friends of the manager, whether they know anything about video games or not. I go into a Gamestop and help people because the people working have no idea what the heck they're talking about. Doesn't surprise me they would let a couple bootlegs in.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
One of my pokemon-intense friends has one of these "boot-legged" Ruby's, but it works for him just fine. I'm not sure how legit these black rubys are, but his functions perfectly.

This is Gamestop and EB Games we're talking about, the people that will hire people just because they're friends of the manager, whether they know anything about video games or not. I go into a Gamestop and help people because the people working have no idea what the heck they're talking about. Doesn't surprise me they would let a couple bootlegs in.

I constantly have to go into my local EB and "correct" some people ;/

The Emerald King

<--- it's sad
I went into EB Games (Australia) a few hours ago, and (finally) bought Emerald. As I approached the counter, I saw in a cabinet a whole bunch of 2nd hand games. Among them were numerous Pokemon games. One in particular caught my eye; A Ruby version.

However, this was not any normal Ruby version, it had a BLACK cartridge.

Yes that's right, black. This - for anyone who right now thinks I'm some crazy crackpot - means that the game is bootlegged!

I didn't get the chance to say anything for I was in a rush, but I'm now sitting here thinking, "How the hell could a high profile gaming store let a blatantly obvious fake be traded in, and then put it up for sale!"

I really feel sorry for the numbskull that buys it....

Disscuss...

that's just.....sad

Pr1me_Minister

Super Kawaii ^_^
Almost all gamestores in Malaysia sell bootlegged GBA games, and some fake Pokemon games have the most ridiculus subtitle and cover ever (I refuse to name them because it's really bad).

I should be too hard to spot bootlegged GBA games. A simple look at the connector is all they need. Real GBA games have gold plated circuit including the connector itself and you can see the Nintendo logo on top on the connector.

FYI, my Pokemon games are genuine thanks to some shops who willing to import for me. It isn't cheap but it's worth it.

ahmad_bulba

IM FINALLY 13!! :D
i got tricked...too :( i wanted a ruby and my cuz bought it for me...he doesnt know anything abt pokemon..so he bouhgt a fake ruby cartridge(not his fault thouhg)..the cartridge was red but..its wasnt transparent..like the original .i felt so angry..i mean the names sux. pocheyana is PI DOG! and torchic F bIRD..and all the poke hav stupid names.. I mean can u beleive it??

Master Ballz

F bird?

Muhahahaha....

Shayde

Actually, I have a bootlegged Fire Red I bought on Ebay. It works perfectly well and I can trade just fine (and have done so multiple times). The 'Hall of Fame' data on the PC is always corrupted, but apart from that it's fully functional.

Last edited:

DaMike52

Banned
I hate gamestores, they sold me a corrupted copy of mystery dungeon. Its a lot nicer to buy things on Amazon.