• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gaps in Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abundantly

Blessed abundantly
Typically, internet discussions about evolution and creation are both directed at creationists and rife with bold declarations like, "You idiots have no proof!" As delightful as it would be to throw insults about, I figured it would be a good idea to turn the focus on evolution politely. So, as you read the rest of this long and fairly boring post, please keep in mind that I mean no disrespect toward anyone, though I couldn't help but include a playful nudge here or there.

I only have four questions that I want to ask, but each requires substantial background knowledge, which I attempted to provide to the best of my ability. I have highlighted the questions in bold for your convenience.

Everyone learns about Louis Pasteur in school. He's the guy that developed the Law of Biogenesis. Back in the day, people used to think that frogs came from mud, or that rats came from garbage, so on, and so forth. Louis Pasteur did an experiment and proved that life comes only from life. Now, this is funny, because textbooks tell us that organisms grew out of “warm ‘chemical soup’” that was made up of “compounds of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen.” None of those are living organisms.

So, this thread is for all you Pasteur-doubters. :)

Based on the posts around here, it would seem that some of you clearly have all the answers when it comes to evolution. Which is good. I have questions. :)

We might as well start from the beginning. Bacteria. I assume you know what prokaryotes are, but just in case...

Prokaryotes are the most basic forms of life; they are “simple, single-celled organisms.” Prokaryotes are supposed to be the oldest types of organisms. Among these are Bacteria and Archaea, but all other living things belong to Domain Eukaryota, which includes plants, animals, and humans, while the first two domains comprise algae, bacteria, and the like. Now, while both prokaryotes and eukaryotes are made of cells and contain DNA, these cells differ from one another. Eukaryotic cells have a nucleus, but prokaryotic cells do not. Eukaryotic cells also are much larger than the cells of archaea and bacteria and contain organelles, which are “organlike structures within the cell with specialized functions.” So, if eukaryotes are the prokaryotes’ closest connection to complex organisms such as plants and animals, then it follows that for such complex life to exist, prokaryotes must have evolved into eukaryotes directly. This means that prokaryotes must have developed not only nuclei, but also the many organelles necessary for the survival of said nuclei.​

The large paragraph above is scientific fact. You can find it in any textbook. Really. You've got the domains of bacteria and algae, which are simple and single-celled and have DNA but no nucleus. Then, you've got the Eukaryotes (animal and plant cells), which are hundreds of times bigger than the bacteria and algae, have other little parts called organelles (which keep the cell alive), and have DNA and a nucleus. Simple enough, right? But here's the problem.

Scientists don't know how the nucleus -- a very important part of the cell -- got here.

It is speculated that some organelles, such as mitchondria and chloroplasts, began as independent bacteria and eventually lost their ability to live separately, evolving to become a permanent part of the (eukaryotic) cell.
...Riiiiight...
You know, you can find lots of things in a typical animal-cell. There's the plasma membrane, mitochondria, centrioles, vacuoles, lysosomes, ribosomes, golgi complex, golgi bodies, smooth endoplasmic reticulum, rough endoplasmic reticulum, cytoplasm, microtubules, microfilaments, and the nucleus, which comprises the nuclear envelope, nucleolus, chromatin, and nuclear pore. Each of these organelles has a very specific function, and all of those functions are coordinated by the nucleus. Lots of things, lots of functions, all connected. Did you know that cells react to light? That means that, not only are they built to sense how much light is around them, but that they are also built to react to it accordingly. And that's just one example. Every part of the cell is used for a specific purpose, and when you put all of the parts together, you get a working cell. But if you take a part out, the cell dies.​

So. Clearly, the idea, "A bunch of dying bacteria managed to get together and decided to turn into a conglomeration of organelles that, despite being expressly unique to one another prior to conglomerating, follow the directions given thereto by the nucleus, the origin of which, remember, is yet to be determined," isn't very realistic. ;)

I did come across one other theory: That one bacterium ate another bacterium, and several generations later, the first bacterium's great-great-great-grandbabies had little bacteria inside of them. And eventually, the little bacteria inside the bacterial-grandbabies evolved into what is now the nucleus.

. . . So, if I eat a banana, my great-great-great-grandchildren are going to have bananas inside of them? . . . Is that why babies are always so chubby? Okay, that's a cheap shot, I know, sorry. But seriously, such a phenomenon has never been observed. Never. You'd think that, if bacteria really do evolve, we'd have seen this happen at least once in all the years we've researched them.

But it isn't at all surprising. Bacteria do mutate, sure, and we call that evolution, but they don't exactly grow legs. See, bacteria are known to mutate in exactly two ways.

1. They lose genetic information.
2. They swap genetic information with other bacteria.​

For instance, let's say we have a medicine that kills bacteria with enzymes. The bacteria can ditch the parts of their DNA that give them enzymes, thereby effectively sidestepping the medicine. That's way one. (They lose genetic information.) But some bacteria are just flat out immune to certain medicine, for some reason or another. So, the bacteria that are not immune can actually swap parts of their DNA to get whatever creates the immunity. That's way two. (They swap genetic information with other bacteria.)

Quiz time! Hurray!

When you have a dollar, and you get rid of the dollar, how much money have you made? You haven't -- you've lost money. Now, when you have half the money in the world, and your friend has the other half, and you trade one of your dollars for two of his, how much money have you made between the two of you? You haven't -- you started and ended with the same amount of money. All you can do is lose money or shuffle it around, but there's no new money being made.

Same goes for bacterial DNA. They either lose genetic information, or swap it, but there is actually no new information being added to the world of bacteria.​

...Aaaand they managed to turn into cells hundreds of times bigger than them how?

Quick recap:

1. Eukaryotic cells are hundreds of times bigger than bacteria, have a nucleus, which bacteria have not, have organelles that bacteria have not, and are generally one massive hurdle for bacteria to bunny-hop over if bacteria really want to evolve.
2. Nobody knows where the nucleus came from.
3. Bacteria don't eat other bacteria.
4. Bacteria can either lose or swap genetic information, but bacteria as a whole do not gain information.​

My question: Is there any reasonable speculation out there as to how prokaryotes (bacteria) "evolved" into eukaryotes (cells)? If not, I'm forced to conclude that it's impossible. And if bacteria couldn't turn into cells, then...how did we get here? You can't just skip the first step, you know.

Whew, that was long. :) But hey, it's science, and I wanted to make myself as clear as possible. Don't worry, though, this next one is a lot shorter. And it has pictures! ;)

Coelacanths.

coelacanth2.jpg

Some of our earliest fossils of eukaryotes are of coelacanths. They supposedly existed millions of years ago and were once thought the ancestors of humans. Of course, then we found some just off South Africa’s eastern coast as well as in parts of Indonesia.​

coelacanth-4.jpg

They’re everywhere.

So, scientists decided that humans came from a close cousin of the coelacanth – the lungfish. That’s all fine and dandy, but didn’t they overlook one rather obvious detail? Coelacanths exist today. Evolution says that every living organism is in a constant state of change. If that is the case, why haven’t the coelacanths changed? Sure, they’re a little bigger than their fossils, but then again, couldn’t the fossils have been of young coelacanths? I don’t think they’ve changed at all. So where is evolution in all this? Certainly you aren't going to tell me that evolution applies to only some species? ;)

My question: How do Darwinists explain the evolutionary stasis of coelacanths? Those fish (allegedly) have had millions and millions of years to evolve, yet there they are. Completely unchanged. It really looks like evolution is just a load of hooey.

The fossil record is supposed to be some sort of all-purpose proof for evolution, but it doesn’t add up completely. There’s the Cambrian Explosion.

See, the oldest fossils we have are of bacteria. These fossils continue for a few rock layers, but suddenly, in one rock layer just above the final bacteria-layer, fossils from every phyla in the animal kingdom appear. So, we have bacteria, bacteria, bacteria, every phyla...​

...What? That doesn’t look like evolution. It looks more like a massive flood came and fossilized a whole bunch of animals (early in those animals’ existence). A flood would account for all the sediment, but since it's all over the world, it would have to be a pretty big flood. A world-wide flood. Sounds familiar. ;)

Actually, there are fossils of trees that penetrate multiple rock layers. How? Shouldn’t trees decay after several thousand years? And yet there they are.

tree.jpg

To date, scientists have no explanation for all this. Well, creationists do, but those don’t count, right? :p

Sidenote: The trees even lack branches, which is exactly what we would expect to see if they had been damaged by a large flood.

My question: How do you explain the Cambrian Explosion and the tree-fossils, if a world-wide flood does not?

Finally, the eyeball.

eye_human_detail.gif

Complicated, right? You know, most people use this piece of anatomy to say, "Look! Complicated! Intelligent Design!" :D In fact, I'm sure at least half of you thought that I would.

But no. I'm here to talk about incipiency. The state or condition of beginning to exist or appear; the initial stage. What was the incipiency of the eyeball?

Evolution is gradual and requires organisms change little by little, over time. So, this bird over here should develop a longer beak over a long period of time, while that fish over there develops sharper teeth. All to adapt to their individual environments. Well, did you know that it also works in reverse? If an organism does not need a particular trait, that trait will disappear from the species. In other words, humans don't use wisdom teeth, so all humans will one day be born without the ability to grow them.​

Back to the eyeball.

Could it have developed so gradually?

Let's think about this. Logically, if you will. Evolution would have the eyeball form little by little from an itty bitty version of itself. . . But how? As we know, taking one piece away from the eyeball deprives it of its own function. You can't have a working eyeball without a retina. The retina receives the light. You can't take the lens, either. Same reason you can't take the lens of a camera. You can't take the cornea. What will protect the lens? You can't take away the iris. The retina would burn up in no time. I could go on. Without all these things, the eyeball would be useless.​

And what happens to useless traits? That's right, they disappear from the species.

So, clearly, the incipient eyeball would need all these things. That means, the eyeball had to evolve into existence all at once. It wouldn't have survived if it had to be bred in and out of every species until the DNA found the perfect combination of random traits that fit together in such a way that the human brain could receive sight. Which leads me to my next question.

How did the body know to connect the eyeball to the brain? I mean, goodness, you can't just put a cornea, iris, lens, and retina just sitting there on some guy's face without letting the guy know what it does. And you can't send signals to just any part of the brain. It has to be the right part.

The best part is that we have two of them. I don't recall seeing any cyclops-animal-fossils before the two-eyed fossils showed up...

My question: How? Not only did the cornea, lens, retina, and iris have to develop perfectly, all at once, and in such a way that they connected to one another, but they also had to be able to send signals to the correct area of the brain. Otherwise, the eyeball would not exist, or else it would be a lump of useless, just sitting there on your face. Oh, and they both apparently evolved into existence at the same time.

I could go on and on and on....

Okay, so that makes four questions. Four questions I have never received a single straightforward answer to. If you could answer my unanswerable questions, you would be doing the first edition of Darwin's Origin of Species a huge favor. But not the sixth edition. Darwin decided against the whole evolution-lead-to-man's-existence thing in that one. You know, Darwin himself was not a Darwinist. In fact, I believe he said something quite similar to that...:D

Thank you for being patient with me. God bless. :)

Congrats on the best first post on serebiiforums.

I couldn't add a mite to what you've already said. There are just so many serious questions that evolution has yet to answer. I can't be convinced yet.

I remember coming to many of the same conclusions when reading through The Origin of Species. I was surprised to see Darwin discussing and even conceding to some of these very same questions. In today's debate, it's almost like you've broken a taboo if you bring up difficulties with evolution.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
My question: Is there any reasonable speculation out there as to how prokaryotes (bacteria) "evolved" into eukaryotes (cells)? If not, I'm forced to conclude that it's impossible. And if bacteria couldn't turn into cells, then...how did we get here? You can't just skip the first step, you know. Ok wall of text much. To explain this in detail will take over 9000 pages but a small prokaryote cell that could stay alive in a host cell didn't have to hunt for food, so any that could had a advantage. (And those cells that had mini cells in them didn't have to waste dna code to remeber how to convert atp into energy and could instead move and get food)
My question: How do Darwinists explain the evolutionary stasis of coelacanths? Those fish (allegedly) have had millions and millions of years to evolve, yet there they are. Completely unchanged. It really looks like evolution is just a load of hooey. Just b/c there is time does not mean evolution will happen. If a spieces is doing good why should it change (If it aint broke, don't fix it.)
My question: How do you explain the Cambrian Explosion and the tree-fossils, if a world-wide flood does not?
The "Explosion" was over a hundred million years... Next question
My question: How? Not only did the cornea, lens, retina, and iris have to develop perfectly, all at once, and in such a way that they connected to one another, but they also had to be able to send signals to the correct area of the brain. Otherwise, the eyeball would not exist, or else it would be a lump of useless, just sitting there on your face. Oh, and they both apparently evolved into existence at the same time.
They all evolved indipendantly (Light sensitive skin allows Organism a to detect light, Pited allows it to find with direction beter ect) A half formed eye is a million times better then no eye

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
If monkey things are alive today and humans are too then why aren't the missing links.
And ediot99, a fair few animals have 'evolved' to lose their eyes so your point is moot.

Those that have lost there eyes had other senses to make it up. Neadrathal, Cromagnum, Africanus, want to have a word with you.

Abundantly

Blessed abundantly
(Thanks, mattj. And yeah, I was a bit hesitant to post all that -- it feels. . . forbidden. :D)

I suggest rereading my post, ebilly99. I don't think you quite understand my points.

1. I am fully aware that a prokaryote could speculatively survive inside another, but recall that such a phenomenon has never been observed. Furthermore, prokaryotes cannot gain information, so even if we had observed the phenomenon, it would still fail to explain how the nucleus formed. Feel free to provide your 9000 pages of details. I'm willing to learn.

2. The theory of evolution is the idea that all species are in a constant state of change. That's just part of it. Bacteria can survive on their own, yet they are supposed to have evolved. Evolution, unfortunately, would not think logically enough to not fix what ain't broke. :)

3. The Explosion part of Cambrian Explosion refers to the sudden appearance of every phyla of the animal kingdom in the fossil record. This sudden appearance exists, whatever you call it. And that was the subject of my question. (And what about the trees?)

4. Yes, but if you had actually read my post carefully, you would know that useless traits (such as wisdom teeth or, in this case, malfunctioning eyes) are tossed out -- they disappear from the species. This makes it ridiculously unlikely that each part of the eye developed independently.

Again, you should reread my post. It would help.

Thanks. :)

Abundantly

Blessed abundantly
Aw, I wouldn't say that, Alleviate. :) The way I see it, if people don't want to listen, they won't. That's pretty much unavoidable in debate.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
(Thanks, mattj. And yeah, I was a bit hesitant to post all that -- it feels. . . forbidden. :D)

I suggest rereading my post, ebilly99. I don't think you quite understand my points.

1. I am fully aware that a prokaryote could speculatively survive inside another, but recall that such a phenomenon has never been observed. Furthermore, prokaryotes cannot gain information, so even if we had observed the phenomenon, it would still fail to explain how the nucleus formed. Feel free to provide your 9000 pages of details. I'm willing to learn.

2. The theory of evolution is the idea that all species are in a constant state of change. That's just part of it. Bacteria can survive on their own, yet they are supposed to have evolved. Evolution, unfortunately, would not think logically enough to not fix what ain't broke. :)
The theroy states that the most fit for a enviroment are the ones who pass on there DNA. If a creature is perfect for its enviroment Mutations will be weeded out as they will be less fit.

3. The Explosion part of Cambrian Explosion refers to the sudden appearance of every phyla of the animal kingdom in the fossil record. This sudden appearance exists, whatever you call it. And that was the subject of my question. (And what about the trees?)
Not every Phila, (Amphibian, Reptilian, Avians, Mamailans,) and again this was a hundred million year explosion (Possible created from thicker gasses setteling allowing light to reach the earth, allowing planets to start growing on land, this is speculation from me, but other smarter people know more about it then me)
4. Yes, but if you had actually read my post carefully, you would know that useless traits (such as wisdom teeth or, in this case, malfunctioning eyes) are tossed out -- they disappear from the species. This makes it ridiculously unlikely that each part of the eye developed independently.
Not that unlikely as each part would make the eye better (detecting light, focusing light, making a blurry image, focusing a image, color, ect all make a better eye, but even a light detection mechinism has a beter survival rate then those without.
Again, you should reread my post. It would help.

Thanks. :)

I must reread exactly how a neuculas formed, but I will return

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Being someone who believes in both creationism and evolution, my thoughts might be a little odd. I’ll try not to contradict myself, though.

Is there any reasonable speculation out there as to how prokaryotes (bacteria) "evolved" into eukaryotes (cells)? If not, I'm forced to conclude that it's impossible. And if bacteria couldn't turn into cells, then...how did we get here? You can't just skip the first step, you know.

Interesting points, first of all. If many small bacteria came together in a symbiotic way, it is theoretically possible that they each developed specialized functions. When it comes to your discussion on one bacteria “eating” another, I think there’s a misunderstanding there. From what I’ve read, the idea was more of one bacterium enveloping another, not “eating.” But I suppose the point of it being passed on still stands. However, just because there’s something we still don’t have a concrete answer to doesn’t necessarily mean the whole concept of evolution is bullshit.

How do Darwinists explain the evolutionary stasis of coelacanths? Those fish (allegedly) have had millions and millions of years to evolve, yet there they are. Completely unchanged. It really looks like evolution is just a load of hooey.

These animals most likely aren’t completely unchanged from the way they were millions of years ago. Physiologically, they may be the same, but I would suspect that behaviorally, they’re pretty different. Really, it’s not surprising that an aquatic animal is relatively unchanged. Bodies of water, oceans especially, are relatively stable environments with fairly small amounts of change overtime due to the sheer mass of the environment. There are many aquatic animals, especially in the ocean, that have remained relatively unchanged simply because they’re already adapted to their environments. Sharks, turtles, crocodiles, and alligators are very old animals that have survived relatively unchanged. They are also very old species that have had a lot of time for descent with modification to perfect them to their environments. They already have the adaptations useful to survive so they have remained unchanged.

How does a worldwide flood account for it either? However, I think I’ll look into this, just because your source being clearly biased makes me curious to see if any extensive scientific studies have been done.

These adaptations didn’t just come out of nowhere. That’s not how it works. An animal isn’t just born with eyes suddenly. Evolution is descent with modification. You cannot modify something that is not already present. The eyes most likely developed overtime from much simpler light-sensitive areas of the body. Consider a planarian with its “eyespots.” It cannot actually see, but it has light sensitivity and can detect where light is coming from. If the simple nervous system of the animal becomes more and more specialized over time, it’s not unlikely that a brain would develop. The light sensitivity already has to be connected to some kind of simple nervous system, otherewise there’s no ability to “sense.” If it’s already connected, there’s nothing really being changed, just becoming more complex. Early animals with “eyes” probably had organs that were just more light-sensitive, getting more and more specialized throughout many, many generations until fully functioning eyes were developed. Evolution is a very, very slow process which is why it’s not something readily observable in current species today.

I think you make some good points, but it’s not enough to sway me in the direction of evolution being impossible. Our world is constantly changing and nothing is fixed. Animals cannot possibly survive without adapting and changing to their environments. Whether or not a creator was involved in the entire process really depends on your point of view and religious background. I try to keep it out of scientific debates, though.

Profesco

gone gently
You pose fine questions, Abundantly. Please don't feel as though questioning a scientific theory is forbidden. Indeed, the basis of the practice of science is rigorous, open, constant critique. It is why experiments are performed, why results are published, why anonymous peer review is a stage of that publication, why debates among leaders of fields are arranged. There is never an end to questioning in the scientific process.

I don't believe I know enough to answer all of your questions, but I believe I can help with two. =)

There is no need for a literal constant state of change. Evolution is the name of the theory, but the process by which it works is natural selection, and the name for the reasons natural selection effects a change is selection pressure. Coelacanths are not the only beings that haven't changed significantly in a long time; aren't alligators and turtles also among that group?

In any case, if an organism has the means to survive and reproduce in its environment, its genes have met the gamut of selection pressures that organism faces, and the species will remain relatively the same until a new selection pressure necessitates new selection. Your last sentence there is quite the mistake. Not fixin' what ain't broke is actually a very fine way of euphemizing the lack of notable changes in species like coelacanths.

Actually, ebilly99's reply to this question was right on the nose. There are a couple of misconceptions I can clear up. First, selection does not rid the resultant organisms of a useless trait so much as it simply selects for the more beneficial ones. A "useless" trait could very well continue to appear in the organism's descendants, as long as it did not hinder the reproductive success of the ancestors. Natural selection simply means that whichever organisms reproduce the most are the ones who will eventually take over the species. Organism X with survival/reproductively beneficial trait a and neutral trait b will reproduce more than organism Y with survival/reproductively less beneficial trait c and neutral trait b, so over time, trait a will dominate and shut out trait c, while trait b will simply be a tagalong.

Second, I don't know where the notion that the eye is a conundrum for evolutionary theory came from, because it is actually one of evolutionary scientists' most cherished examples of the keenness and utility of the selection process. =/

The phrase "half an eye is no good" is quite simply a misunderstanding. It's a mistake to think some ancestor of humanity simply popped out of its mommy's womb with a full-fledged iris, and one of its grandchildren fortunately arrived with a perfect arrangement of never-before-seen rods and cones. On the contrary, gradual "stages" of eye evolution are very useful.

Our eyes had their beginning as humble light-sensitive patches of skin. Through slight variances in efficacy, small mutations in the genes determining said sensitivity, some organisms in a generation will have had more- or less-sensitive patches. Those with more sensitive patches were able to locate food and evade predators better, and so reproduced more than their cousins, overtaking the species. Those descendants, through likewise small genetic variations, might have had different translucencies of the outer layer of skin over the light sensors; the more translucent, the better the vision, the more reproductive success. Likewise with the material between the lens and the receptors: the rounder this material, the more accurate the vision, the better the chances at reproduction, the greater the representation of this genetic result in the next generation. This led to organisms with the best light sensitivity organs behind the most conducive layers of skin.

Further mutations and variances thickened the skin into the precursors of the lens, and the light sensitive receptors into the precursors of the rods and cones. Along the entire path of growth, whichever variations gave their organisms better chances at survival and reproduction dominated the generations of descendants. And in each case, those generations with better light sensors and better lenses and better perceptual abilities continued to breed, vary, and breed again, with each "better" being better than the last. Our eye is the present result of a very long process of keen refinery, and it works sufficiently well for the selection pressures we've faced.

It really is a wonder, and one of the finest pieces of evidence for selection. ^_^

Last edited:

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Here is my question. If macro evolution is false and all the animals that exist now have always existed, how come evidence of some animals go further back than other animals? How come there are no human fossils as old as dinosaur fossils?

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
They obviously haven't always existed. Everything bar God had a starting point. Creation could easily be staggered.

Obvious fail, If god exist without a starting point then so did time (The movement of anything through anything) Time can not exist without space so spacetime must always have existed. If spacetime has always existed then a form of the universe must always have existed.

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Here is my question. If macro evolution is false and all the animals that exist now have always existed, how come evidence of some animals go further back than other animals? How come there are no human fossils as old as dinosaur fossils?

if you take the time to read the bible not all animals were created at the same time

My question: How do Darwinists explain the evolutionary stasis of coelacanths? Those fish (allegedly) have had millions and millions of years to evolve, yet there they are. Completely unchanged. It really looks like evolution is just a load of hooey. Just b/c there is time does not mean evolution will happen. If a spieces is doing good why should it change (If it aint broke, don't fix it.)

if its doing so well then why are there not as many as before same with the whaleshark

Last edited by a moderator:

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
if its doing so well then why are there not as many as before same with the whaleshark

Large population does not mean doing well. Ie if humans are not carefull we will die out from overpopulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.