• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gar-Cress, a VGC Team.

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
As VGC Regionals is happening soon, i decided to post my team and get opinions on it from the experts.
As this is VGC, it is in Doubles Format.
If you find anything that could be replaced, or moves to be changed, ect. Please do state them.
445f.gif

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly (+ Speed, - SPA)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide

The Strong side of the Gar-Cress combo, Garchomp is a complete monster in VGC, Wrecking a fair amount of the Pokemon in the Tier.
With this set it gets fair coverage, and protect provides a turn to scout or block an attack.
Under sand it's evasion is boosted, giving it a fair chance to survive an otherwise fatal hit.
488.gif

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Defense, 240 Special Defense, 8 HP
Nature: Timid (+ Speed, - Attack)
- Icy Wind
- Moonlight
- Protect
- Swagger

The other half of the Gar-Cress combo, Cresselia icy winds the opposing team, slowing them, letting garchomp and the rest of my team outspeed and hopefully KO the opponent's Team.
Protect is staple on a VGC team, letting Cress block an opposing attack to it, and heal.
Moonlight is used to provide a quick heal, while swagger shuts down special attackers, like Politoad and Latios.
248.gif
Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:mad: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Nature: Adamant (+ attack, - SPA)
- Crunch
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar is my weather setter, setting up sand stream to mess with the opponent's weather and help with Garchomp.
This is mostly an offensive set, while Thunder Wave is used to stop the opponents dead in their tracks, Protect is staple, while Crunch and Rockslide Provide decent stab coverage.
286.gif
Breeloom @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 255 Attack, 255 Speed,
Nature: Adamant (+ Attack, - SPA)
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Breeloom is a beast in VGC, stopping a lot of pokes like Hydreigon and Politoad, and deals out a whopping amount of damage with a Stab gem boosted Mach Punch.
With it's fast speed, it can spore the opponent, then set up to sweep.
Amazingly Breeloom has fair Synergy with Cresselia, taking out Cress's threats.
485.gif
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SPA, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Nature: Hasty (+ speed, - Defense)
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Iron Head

Heatran is very helpful VS those dragons, sponging hits and dealing out a ton.
The first thing you might ask is: WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU PUT IRON HEAD?!?!
Iron Head has a 30% flinch chance, and other wise heatran walls like Blissey get hammered by an Iron Head.
The other moves are pretty basic on a heatran.
Heatran can switch in when they try to Hurt Breeloom, take the fire/flying damage, and retaliate back.
Air Balloon is so an Earthquake wont kill it, and allows it to partner with Garchomp.
635.gif
Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 speed, 252 special attack, 4 HP
Nature: timid (+ speed, - attack)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Hydreigon finds a spot on nearly all of my teams, it has great coverage, bulk, and a nice special stat.
Hydreigon and Breeloom also have great synergy, crashing and bashing through everything thrown at them.
With the nature and EV's it allows other Hydreigons to be outsped by mine and then KO'd by Draco Meteor.
And over all Hydreigon does well in VGC.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Defense, 240 Special Defense, 8 HP
Nature: Timid
- Icy Wind
- Moonlight
- Protect
- Swagger

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:mad: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Nature: Adamant
- Crunch
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
Breeloom @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 255 Attack, 255 Speed,
Nature: Adamant
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SPA, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Nature: Hasty
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Iron Head

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 speed, 252 special attack, 4 HP
Nature: timid
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Last edited:

Shreyas

Great to see some more VGCs teams around here :D
Ok, I'll be the first to rate this, I guess!

To start off, I'm not really sure if Garchomp can OHKO anything with LO that it would have 2HKO'd before, and isn't scared of, so I'd like to know a little bit more on why you've chosen LO > Yache Berry since living that ice attack can be critical to take out some pokemon (Ice Punch gross, HP Ice Volcarona, etc)

On Cresselia, I don't really understand the EV spread and the nature... are you trying to outspeed something? If so, what? What attacks do you really want cress to live? By taking a chunk of EVs out of HP, you are really risking being KO'd by a bug gem bug buzz (I believe it is a 25% OHKO). Also, not having a Psychic move on Cress makes your team more vulnerable to fighting type Pokemon. Swap out Protect for Psychic/ Psyshock. Also, Moonlight's recovery is cut by sandstorm, so it seems very counter intuitive to run bot hsand and moonlight on the same team. If you really want a recovery, I personally like Chesto-Rest since Cress can also shrug off status conditions for a full HP healing.

And, is there a reason you decided to split EVs between Attack and Defense rather than Attack and HP like most of the T-Tars out there? Also, I feel pretty iffy running a Chople Berry T-Tar. Fight Gems can still beat through the chople berry. He can run other items such as Dark Gem to give him a power up to dent opposing Cresselias, and other pokemon.

Running 255/255 makes you waste 4 EVs that you can spare in a really tiny amount of bulk, which may end up helping. Considering his frailty, I don't think Swords Dance is such a great idea on Breloom especially if you could run Protect over it. Most of the faster foes in this metagame are going to outspeed Breloom before he can even spore. Even if he manages to get off a spore, the partner pokemon can dent breloom with normal effective moves.

On Heatran, you really want Heat Wave > Lave Plume due to higher power. Also, Iron Head... I'd be concerned about. Blissey/Chanseys aren't even seen that much, and can easily taken out using your T-Tar or Breloom. So, I suggest giving Heatran a modest nature, and running a little bit bulkier EV spread since Heatran doesn't really outspeed many Pokemon unless Cresselia gets off an Icy Wind, in which case, you'd be better running a lower amount of EVs while being bulky enough to live attacks. I'll help you out with a different EV spread in a another post.

Overall: I feel that your team is extremely frail and offensive, which makes it extremely vulnerable to TR, which you really don't have an easy way to check. I see a slight fighting problem.

I hope I helped. I may have some things to add a little later.
Also, GL next week!