• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Garchomp Banned Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsong

WEST SIDE
@cannibaleyes: 5th gen gave us Ferrothorn and significantly increased the popularity of specially defensive Tyranitar and specially defensive Jirachi, the latter two of which were rather impractical during some of gen IV (though special defensive Rachi was okay then). All of these are pretty hard counters to Latios and also have a ton of other use.

IceTacos

My only question is why Latios is firmly OU in this metagame, while it's been pretty much sent straight to Ubers in every other gen. ..Same with Deoxys, actually. Is there something major that I'm missing here? Did 5th gen. really weaken them that much? o.0

It's probably because Soul Dew isn't available in 5th Gen yet?

UsernameSayWha?

Hates Hidden Power
I think Dragonite is the best Dragon this Gen. Multiscale is such a crazy ability. Get some spin support and you have a crazy DD sweeper right there. Plus it could shut down Chomp and K.O. it. So if Dragonite and Weavile aren't enough, I don't know what is for Chomp to stay down.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
@cannibaleyes: 5th gen gave us Ferrothorn and significantly increased the popularity of specially defensive Tyranitar and specially defensive Jirachi, the latter two of which were rather impractical during some of gen IV (though special defensive Rachi was okay then). All of these are pretty hard counters to Latios and also have a ton of other use.

I guess that makes sense, but it's still hard to believe that one or two counters would change things that drastically... Although I suppose it could. Still, those pokemon could have been used back them to counter it, they just weren't as common.

It's probably because Soul Dew isn't available in 5th Gen yet?
This makes sense, I suppose, since if I remember correctly, that item was one of the main reasons it was banned in the first place (or at least the item was).

So, what about Deoxys? Then again, it was Deoxys-A that was banned to Ubers first, in 4th gen., right?

Anyway, on the topic of Chomp, I think he deserved to get banished to Ubers in 5th gen. especially, considering the popularity of weather teams this metagame (including sandstorm). IIRC, it was his ability in sandstorm that sent him to Ubers in 4th gen., too.

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
I wouldn't say Haxorus is shadowed by Garchomp with that 147 base attack, access to DragonDance, and able to hit levitaters with Earthquake. If you want to kill the foes Garchomp, Just get your spec'ed/scarfed Froslass to use Ice Beam(or Blizzard depending on your team). Garchomps are still worthy of the ubers though. I'm gonna have to change my Sandstorm team though...

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
People that think garchomp is uber seriously need a better team. They can cry with their bibarels and say it's too hard to beat, but they are messing it up for the rest of us.

windsong

WEST SIDE
People that think garchomp is uber seriously need a better team. They can cry with their bibarels and say it's too hard to beat, but they are messing it up for the rest of us.

Were you one of the 17 people that voted do not ban on Garchomp?
Because if not it just shows that you couldn't get to a high enough place on the ladder where people were using chomp correctly, just so you knowwww!

I wouldn't say Haxorus is shadowed by Garchomp with that 147 base attack, access to DragonDance, and able to hit levitaters with Earthquake. If you want to kill the foes Garchomp, Just get your spec'ed/scarfed Froslass to use Ice Beam(or Blizzard depending on your team). Garchomps are still worthy of the ubers though. I'm gonna have to change my Sandstorm team though...

Garchomp has some serious advantages over Haxorus. First off, he actually has a really good base speed, whereas Haxorus's base speed means that he'll almost never be able to pull off a sweep with Dragon Dance. Chomp is also resistant to Stealth Rock, has Sand Veil, has more bulk, pulls off Sub+SD sets better, etc.

Also wtf everyone stop saying that you can use your ice types to counter chomp. THEY DON'T. Yes, this is a gen where not everything can have a hard counter, but if you're relying on say, weavile, mamoswine, or frosslass to "counter" chomp then you have an extremely garchomp weak team, since none of them can switch in, and they all outright lose to yachechomp. You're using Lati@s to check it? Fun stuffs, they lose to Haban Chomp or SubSD Chomp if it gets in a sub. Etc, etc.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Garchomp has some serious advantages over Haxorus. First off, he actually has a really good base speed, whereas Haxorus's base speed means that he'll almost never be able to pull off a sweep with Dragon Dance. Chomp is also resistant to Stealth Rock, has Sand Veil, has more bulk, pulls off Sub+SD sets better, etc.

Also wtf everyone stop saying that you can use your ice types to counter chomp. THEY DON'T. Yes, this is a gen where not everything can have a hard counter, but if you're relying on say, weavile, mamoswine, or frosslass to "counter" chomp then you have an extremely garchomp weak team, since none of them can switch in, and they all outright lose to yachechomp. You're using Lati@s to check it? Fun stuffs, they lose to Haban Chomp or SubSD Chomp if it gets in a sub. Etc, etc.

This, this, more this, and a heapin' helpin of this.

Mr G W

Insect power
Skill Link Icicle Spear obliterates Garchomp because only the first hit is reduced by the berry... Thats like 100 base power PER HIT for the ramaining hits.

I understand banning legendaries, banning garchomp is idiotic for me.

And banning him for the luck factor? ITS A GAME. Games always have a luck factor. Not all attacks have 100% accuracy right, critical hits are luck based, heck even damage calculation has a random factor on it. So what? Are we going to hack all way and remove all luck factor? Heck no! I've won thanks to (good) luck and have lost thanks to (bad) luck.

Wardek

U & I
I never really cared about Garchomp. Excadrill is OU? WT*? Anyways, it'll be bad if they ban Thundurus.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Skill Link Icicle Spear obliterates Garchomp because only the first hit is reduced by the berry... Thats like 100 base power PER HIT for the ramaining hits.

Name something besides Cloyster that can do that.

Something besides Shellder.

I understand banning legendaries, banning garchomp is idiotic for me.

Legendary status is irrelevant in terms of whether or not a Pokemon is broken.

Hence why Phione is not better than Tentacruel.

And banning him for the luck factor? ITS A GAME. Games always have a luck factor. Not all attacks have 100% accuracy right, critical hits are luck based, heck even damage calculation has a random factor on it. So what? Are we going to hack all way and remove all luck factor? Heck no! I've won thanks to (good) luck and have lost thanks to (bad) luck.

I was under the impression that Sand Veil was the icing on the cake of banning Garchomp, and that people were more concerned with things like how only Skarmory and Bronzong resist its STABs (one of which is Dragon), and how it has a base 130 Attack stat, and how it has a base 102 or something Speed, and how it has more bulk than Swampert.

BGP_

ice types arent worth mentioning? lol... I also love when people act like you have 1 vs. 1 battles, like you can switch guys...and rattling off all these sets he has to counter everything in the world is kind of useless when you have a swords dance set with life orb let's say and out comes weavile. Here, let me pull out my pc boxes and switch sets, oh wait i can't....
Anyways, i guess the only problem i can notice with him was sand veil, which im not too concerned about but w/e, i guess this just gives my team a little less trouble not that i had much, so i'll just agree with him getting banned. I just can't see why garchomp is banned but latios isn't, kind of weird.

windsong

WEST SIDE
ice types arent worth mentioning? lol... I also love when people act like you have 1 vs. 1 battles, like you can switch guys...and rattling off all these sets he has to counter everything in the world is kind of useless when you have a swords dance set with life orb let's say and out comes weavile. Here, let me pull out my pc boxes and switch sets, oh wait i can't....
Anyways, i guess the only problem i can notice with him was sand veil, which im not too concerned about but w/e, i guess this just gives my team a little less trouble not that i had much, so i'll just agree with him getting banned. I just can't see why garchomp is banned but latios isn't, kind of weird.

The thing is, you don't know what set Garchomp's running until you sacrifice something. For example, you could switch in Mamoswine expecting Haban SD Chomp and be faced with a Sub, a Scarf/CB Outrage, or or an SD from Yache SD chomp. And you literally have no way of knowing what set it is until your "counter" gets wrecked.

And lol nobody runs Life Orb on SD Chomp.

BGP_

The thing is, you don't know what set Garchomp's running until you sacrifice something. For example, you could switch in Mamoswine expecting Haban SD Chomp and be faced with a Sub, a Scarf/CB Outrage, or or an SD from Yache SD chomp. And you literally have no way of knowing what set it is until your "counter" gets wrecked.

And lol nobody runs Life Orb on SD Chomp.
i know, just saying...

BGP_

But that was the basis for almost the entire point you made; that you could get lucky and switch in a check on the set that it safely checks rather than one of the sets that results in it immediately being KO'd.
again, just saying it was an example...im not gonna try and run down all of chomp's sets...
i never have had trouble and still dont have trouble with him, granted im an ice user and run hail which might have an effect...ok probably does have an effect, but yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.