• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Garchomp Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectiCrow

Do The Tevez!
i didn't know where to put this so i've posted it in differener places. Anyway could anyone tell me the best counter for Garchomp. (Thats all)

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
Anyone that could outrun Garchomp, or take a hit from Garchomp, that packs decent power and Ice Beam would do. An example is Weavile. Ice Punch or Ice Shard from a Adamant Choice Band Weavile can either put a dent on it or KO.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
lol Garchomp Counter?
I think the best thing they came up with was Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster.
Weavile doesn't work as a simple counter, it has to be a revenge killer- which means sacrificing something to Garchomp first. And if theres a Sandstorm (which is often) you've only got a 75% chance of hitting it.
If you have a Blissey, you could use Counter on it if for some odd reason it doesn't OHKO you. But the only real chance to switch it in would be on an SD, so it doesn't work.
Choice Scarf Cresselia with Ice Beam is a 100% surefire counter.
Don't think it'll work.
STAB Outrage on Cress with Max.Def is about 50%, so 100% with SD. If you run a ScarfCress you likely won't have Def EVs, so guaranteed 2KO there.
Plus you're putting faith in a non-STABed attack coming off 75 Sp.Atk. Sure, its 4x effective, but Chomp is bulky.
ScarfChomp will also outspeed Cress.
And really, that Cress is very specialized to counter one pokemon. It'll be next to useless when (and if) it takes out Chomp.

Cait_Sith

Choice Scarf Cresselia with Ice Beam is a 100% surefire counter.

On the topic of Legendaries, wouldn't an Icebeam Articuno work swimmingly? Then you wouldn't need the choice item.

A risky, but possible, is using Abomasnow with Blizzard, and just setting up item, EVs, and IVs to make sure he survives a hit from Outrage. 100% accuracy Blizzard is nice, especially with Garchomps quad weakness.

Last edited:

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
On the topic of Legendaries, wouldn't an Icebeam Articuno work swimmingly? Then you wouldn't need the choice item.

A risky, but possible, is using Abomasnow with Blizzard, and just setting up item, EVs, and IVs to make sure he survives a hit from Outrage. 100% accuracy Blizzard is nice, especially with Garchomps quad weakness.
Articuno and Abomasnow...
Holding Scarf, they could both OHKO Chomp, without worry of Outrage. However, yet again, they need a safe opportunity to switch in.
Without Scarf, I have a feeling Outrage will OHKO both, and even if it doesn't normally, Stealth Rock will ensure it does. Especially Articuno.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Anyone that could outrun Garchomp, or take a hit from Garchomp, that packs decent power and Ice Beam would do. An example is Weavile. Ice Punch or Ice Shard from a Adamant Choice Band Weavile can either put a dent on it or KO.

Except that weavile can't switch in?

Wasn't this the whole point of banning Garchomp to ubers, because he was uncounterable?

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
lol Garchomp Counter?
I think the best thing they came up with was Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster.
Weavile doesn't work as a simple counter, it has to be a revenge killer- which means sacrificing something to Garchomp first. And if theres a Sandstorm (which is often) you've only got a 75% chance of hitting it.
If you have a Blissey, you could use Counter on it if for some odd reason it doesn't OHKO you. But the only real chance to switch it in would be on an SD, so it doesn't work.

Don't think it'll work.
STAB Outrage on Cress with Max.Def is about 50%, so 100% with SD. If you run a ScarfCress you likely won't have Def EVs, so guaranteed 2KO there.
Plus you're putting faith in a non-STABed attack coming off 75 Sp.Atk. Sure, its 4x effective, but Chomp is bulky.
ScarfChomp will also outspeed Cress.
And really, that Cress is very specialized to counter one pokemon. It'll be next to useless when (and if) it takes out Chomp.

It's been tested. Heck, even I tested it. It works.
But that's why Garchomp is Uber; it's near impossible to counter.

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
Aviano:

Heres an example situation.
Gengar KOed your Porygon-Z. You switch in CB Weavile. You use Ice Punch. It KOes. He switches to Garchomp. Another IP. It might KO.

Darkrai's Nightmare

Weavile is possibly the best,outrunning Garchomp,and if it has Ice Punch while holding Choice Band,it is most likely a OHKO.If that doesn't work,follow the Cresselia/Ice Beam thing.As long as the Garchomp doesn't have CB Crunch,because that would be bad.

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal
Weavile is possibly the best,outrunning Garchomp,and if it has Ice Punch while holding Choice Band,it is most likely a OHKO.If that doesn't work,follow the Cresselia/Ice Beam thing.As long as the Garchomp doesn't have CB Crunch,because that would be bad.

What if Garchomp is either holding a yache berry or focus sash? Survies the inital IP and responds with an EQ or Outrage. Goodnight Weavile.

cloyster just need to worry if the Garchomp have a move thunder fang.
weavile is a good idea too, since they were very fast. taught weavile w/ ice beam, and sure it'll KO Garchomp!

A) Garchomp can't learn thunder fang.
B) Weavile's special attack is terrible. Ice beam would likely do not much, especially if the garchomp was holding a yache berry.

Think it through before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.