• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gary Oak will return in final SM episode?

Gary Oak will return in final SM episode?

• Yes

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Ashton Ketchum

Sun and Moon soon will finally over, and now we thought about ending of this controversial saga. Also, will final episode be in Kanto, as usual? And, how much chances for return of - Gary Oak? He didn't appear in anime since to season 12, and now I think it's time for his return. Plus - because Unshō Ishizuka (Japanese voice for Professor Oak) has passed away, writers can reduce the presence of the Professor from the series, and send him from Kanto on a business trip. And Gary can take his lab in Pallet Town. It's gonna be good step for his development.
What do you think? Gary will return or not?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt we'll see Gary return

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Oak already has a new voice, so I doubt that'll pose much of a problem. The only way I can see Gary appearing is if Ash wins the league, and that's just because for some reason whenever ash actually has a tangible major accomplishment, Gary always shows up to beat him

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I wouldn't mind seeing Gary again.

Hey, you never know. Gary's been gone for a significant amount of time (since Diamond and Pearl, I believe). But so were Brock and Misty and they came back for a few episodes in Sun and Moon and I'm sure some thought they might be unlikely to return.

Its totally not out of the question. Ash and Gary are both from the same town, so when Ash travels back home, Gary could be visiting home as well maybe taking a break from research and they run into each other and battle.

Unlikely but still an idea - Gary could travel to Aloha and be a guest speaker talking about Pokémon research at the Pokémon school much to Ash's surprise.

I'm not holding my breath but at the same time, Gary appearing towards the end of Sun and Moon actually wouldn't surprise me. Call it wishful thinking, but I have a feeling that the next past character they bring back for a cameo in an episode or two will be Gary.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Nope
The writers don't seem to give a damn about him, despite being from Kanto. The region that Gamefreak and the writers can't stop forcing down our throats....
He's certainly had more of an impact on Ash than Misty did... yet she needed to appear twice while Tracey and Gary didn't get any appearances(Or mentions...) because reasons?

I'd love to see Gary again... but I doubt we'll see him :/

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Gary has no reason to come back. His story's over.

And Oak shouldn't be written out because his voice actor died (especially when they've gone out of their way to replace him). The guy doesn't even show up that much to begin with.

MockingJ

Banned
We haven't seen Gary since the Sinnoh saga so no, I don't think his chances of showing up again are high. He's such a pointless character now that he's not even Ash's rival anymore.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
He had plenty of time to appear during the series:

-SM’s Battle Tree has his & Ash’s game counterparts as the leaders
-Brock and Misty’s returning showing their growth could’ve easily had him be at Oak’s showing his (though tbf we were shown this in Chronicles and DP)
-Let’s Go
-Masters (not unheard of for spinoffs to get anime focus)

This is the one time I’d be ok with him returning since he got a pretty underwhelming last appearance in DP. I think it’s unlikely but I’d like it

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
there would be only one logical reason for him to make an appearance and I wouldn't like where it would potentially go.

because it would likely involve a certain pokemon...that Ash currently owns.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wouldn't see the need for Shigeru to return. His involvement at the Battle Tree in the Alola games was once used by fans to justify his return, but I don't think he needs to appear since his character arc ended a long time ago, and I found his presence in Shinou to be rather pointless.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
whoever liked my post...kind wish you hadn't because it's not a good thing if that did happen.

Unless you don't care for Ash letting you know what go.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Gary has no reason to come back. His story's over.

And Oak shouldn't be written out because his voice actor died (especially when they've gone out of their way to replace him). The guy doesn't even show up that much to begin with.

Except it's not? lol
It's not closed until he's a Professor... it's as closed as Brock's story and he still appears.
His last appearance was helping fight Team Galactic... that's far from closed.