• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gary vs Paul based on their showings in Journeys

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Like I said damn near every post someone makes that I'm talking back and forth with I see you and @RafaSceptile giving them likesI don't see anyone else doing this sh*t except you two because you're both still salty about what I said about the SM series.Then today in another Paul thread you left a comment which was clearly indirectly geared towards me.

You had no problem replying to me after I got banned due to you complaining about where I ranked the SM series,you did it not once but twice when I clearly wanted nothing to do with you at that point especially after you got me banned over petty sh*t like this.But that's your problem you don't know how to let stuff go and leave people alone after something like that,you make it worse by trying to provoke me into going back and forth with you.That just shows me what kind of person you really are.

What can I say I'm very passionate about the Paul character and if you can't see that then that's on you.Fact of the matter is they were all examples of what he did in the series,you're just nit picking how I presented them but it's all evidence.

No more like I ranked the SM series behind the other ones,you got mad and lashed back at me about it.Then you got all of your whiteknights to talk sh*t to me after I got banned.I never came across anyone on here that was as big of a scumbag as you tbh,you harassed me about SM on two different occasions when I never even mentioned you in the first place then had the nerve to reply to me again after I got unbanned.Like who do you think you are?You probably found enjoyment out of this too which again tells me what kind of person you are.
You really have the audacity to claim I harassed or promoted harassment towards you in any way when you literally wrote slurs over all my profile for me talking about SM? That's not petty **** and hey wake up call princess, I did not even get you banned. The mods made that decision themselves because obviously they would, what did you expect when you called me slurs on my profile?
Also another fun fact, those 'whiteknights' weren't even my friends back then/I didn't even talk to them. They came to clown you on their own because you went absolutely extreme on me for no reason. I did not 'attack' you for ranking SM low, and if you hadnt gone extreme and toxic, the community wouldn't have called you out like that. So beat it with trying to twist the narrative lmao, also yes I replied to you after that debacle because I was willing to extend an olive branch and let bygones be bygones, and I had normal convos until you decided to again directly antagonise me and say you're tired of hearing 'your name in my mouth'
So I stopped replying to you after that debacle. Of ****ing course I'll like whichever posts i want, stop being so unhinged over me liking your debaters point more than you, and stop pretending I've always sided against you. I just find this whole situation funny because instead of owning up to your **** and standing up to me or just continuing your attitude, you're trying to act like I've been harassing you when I've been very nice to you considering what you deserve. So yeah, stay pressed
I think @PokemonBattleFanatic- is actually Paul
Naaa, Paul won't use slurs because they are triggered over someone having a different opinion, he's not that bad!

pickapika

Are you scaling XY Ash without considering AG? Cause it makes no sense.

1) XY Ash (With AG) achieved an Elite four-tier feat. DP Paul was nowhere close to Elite four. DP Paul was relative to DP Ash who were much inferior to Elite four. Pokemon owned by Ash at this level were capable of taking out 2 of Tobias's Pokemon.

2) Sawyer held his own against AG Ash (An Elite four-tier pokemon). DP Paul was nowhere close to this level.

Secondly,

Ash is > Paul in terms of skill.
Paul's skill is beatable. He's very rational. Experienced trainers with an equal level of skill and experience would easily counter him.
Ash, on the other hand, is unpredictable. His strategies can't be countered as easily.
While that may be theoretically true, for whatever reason, ash in practice isn't consistently competent at countering. Even in his last fight vs paul, he falls into a trap that paul set for him several times in sinnoh and then just forgot to call for a dodge. Ash's advantage is that he's just a much better trainer and therefore has much stronger pokemon. Paul is almost certainly a more skilled battler. Paul has no issue incoperating ash's strategies and doesn't have nearly as many brainfarts.

pickapika

Ehh the DP argument is iffy

Paul lost to Ash because Ash was the better trainer.
Gary lost to Ash because Ash had an OP Charizard.

Paul vs Ash was a back and forth battle in the Sinnoh League

Gary had 3 pokemons left to 1 before Charizard just went ballistic and swept his entire remaining team
ehhh
Paul lost to Ash because pikachu tanked an absurd level of damage and infernape swept half his team.

Think you could reasonably argue that ash had himself a charizard level mon(pikachu) and another powerhouse.

If you just go by strategy, i'd say paul did better as his pokemon generally landed alot more hits than ash's. Given equal mon's and paul probably wins

pickapika

Paul is stronger and better
Gary became a Goh's cheerleader
Gary lost 6 v 5 to ash on an even ground while ash had access to his reserves

Paul lost 6 v 5 to ash with full knowledge of who ash would use and time to prepare accordingly. Against Paul, Ash used a bunch of rookie mons.

Gary is now fighting legendaries that would solo paul's teams while paul just lost to a new set of ash's rookies. What exactly is paul being stronger based on?

pickapika

What skills does Gary have that puts him over Paul?

Gary needed Blastoise to capture Regidrago,you hold that pokemon to such a high regard and go as far as to say he'd roflstomp Paul Tobias style.

Gary has what 3 aces now?Blastoise/Regidrago/Electivire

Paul has Torterra/Electivire/Garchomp/Drapion/Ursaring and possibly Metagross/Gyarados
So we're ignoring the evee that beat ash's most poweful mon 1 v1?

pickapika

I'm sorry but WTF ?

DP Paul was nothing but an ant to Cynthia while XY Ash was able to go toe to toe with Diantha's ace pokemon when it was mega evolved

Ash-Greninja would destroy anything in the DP anime
you think greninja would destroy infernape and pikachu?

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Paul > Alain

Summary: Paul is the most competitive trainer in the entire series,he has the same qualities as trainers like A.J. and Katie but expanded on it.He's just as smart as Conway,same amount of experience as Ash,has almost as many aces as Ash and has a deeper roster of pokemon than any of Ash's other rivals.

Hot take, considering that one of those 2 is among the 8 strongest trainers in the world, never lost to Ash and confirmed to be Champion level, while the other one is training to be a gym leader.

AJ97

While that may be theoretically true, for whatever reason, ash in practice isn't consistently competent at countering. Even in his last fight vs paul, he falls into a trap that paul set for him several times in sinnoh and then just forgot to call for a dodge. Ash's advantage is that he's just a much better trainer and therefore has much stronger pokemon. Paul is almost certainly a more skilled battler. Paul has no issue incoperating ash's strategies and doesn't have nearly as many brainfarts.
Anime almost always consistently puts Ash in an underdog position in every single fight, irrespective of however good he is. We even see him nerfed and struggling against almost everyone in some way. In terms of skill, I would say Ash and Paul were always at the top and only inferior to Elite Four members/ Regional Champions etc previously. However, claiming Paul is more skilled than "Journey's Ash" is absurd when the latter is indicated to be far more elite four tier and Regional Champion tier atm and battling extremely experienced and skilled trainers.
ehhh
Paul lost to Ash because pikachu tanked an absurd level of damage and infernape swept half his team.

Think you could reasonably argue that ash had himself a charizard level mon(pikachu) and another powerhouse.

If you just go by strategy, i'd say paul did better as his pokemon generally landed alot more hits than ash's. Given equal mon's and paul probably wins
Headcanon.
The simple fact is, Paul is a rational strategies and does effective things. This does make him an ace/veteran trainer and only people of a very high level of skill like Elite Four/Regional Champions could possibly surpass his level of strategies due to their experience.
Ash on the other hand, is a high risk unorthodox thinker who does very out of the box moves. For example, things like burning the toxic spikes, or stopping Aegislash from using Kings shield, Electroweb shenanigans against Silvally, Running up the Water Twister in the Misty fight etc.
Given the unorthodox nature of his strategies, even the more experienced battlers would be taken by surprise.

you think greninja would destroy infernape and pikachu?
Yes.
Did you see how Flint effortlessly destroyed Infernape and Pikachu?
Ash Greninja was a confirmed Elite Four tier pokemon based on feats.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

The unorthodoxed strategies is what Ash has been doing since OS whether it be commanding a pokemon to use it's tail to jump in the air or turning the battlefield upside down.This was implemented in the BW series as well despite him being nerfed.

He of course used it more often in the other series but overall as a trainer/battler I can only put him just below Paul and if I'm being generous he'd be right next to him.I can't put Ash above Paul seeing as he's clearly less intelligent and is still prone to making silly mistakes in battle.

Paul is more efficient,more consistent,better decision maker,higher IQ and better planner.
He made use of Switching,Type Advantage,Status Moves,Abilities better than any other trainer in the entire show.He can also adapt to other trainer's strategies by taking what he seen in previous battles and then making it his own (counter shield).

Paul rarely commands his pokemon to dodge attacks as he usually prefers to counterattack,block,grab,use a defensive move or take the hit.

Ash has not been able to rotate and train both new and old pokemon successfully while Paul has.

Last edited:

pickapika

Headcanon.
No. The word you're looking for is "interpretation". Ash "outskilled paul" is also an interpretation. It just isn't supported by what happened in the episode so it ends up being a pretty weak one.

Paul's mons landed alot more hits on ash's mons than vice versa and ash virtually threw away three different mons(torterra+staraptor vs drapioin, pikachu vs electravire) with terrible strat/tactics.

Ash's best strategic moment was essentially nuetralizing an advantage which paul had already taken out multiple mons with. Even in the last battle, ash won, not because of strategy(ash essentially fell into the same electravire trap a third time and conceded what was a devestating attack) but because infernape is far stronger than electravire

Last edited: