• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gary

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Gary

Character Bio
Japanese Name: Shigeru
Debut Appearance: "Pokemon, I Choose You!"

Gary is Ash's former rival who is now a Pokemon Researcher. In Kanto and Johto, he and Ash were bitter rivals who would stop at nothing to out-perform one another. After losing the Johto League to Ash, Gary pursued a different career. He currently researches Pokemon activity in their natural habitat, as well as working to preserve their environment.

Discuss.

Torpoleon

I liked how Gary appeared sometimes in Sinnoh. I don't think he will have an important role in the Team Galactic Climax.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ah Gary. Even though he is the original rival of the series, he's also the one that got the least screentime.

He was handled the worst during the Johto era, when we literally never saw him. Considering Johto went on for 150 episodes, the fact that Gary only appears 3 times before the league was a disgrace.

Most of the time it felt like Ash had no rival in Johto. What a shame.

Gary is one of my favorite Ash's rivals I wish he appeared more :(

thunderblade12

Yeah it's really a shame Ash's rivals weren't handled very well until Sinnoh. Gary had a lot of potential in Kanto that was unused.

There is definitely a reason for him to be in Sinnoh. I think the reason they added him is the following:

1. He said he was examining the lakes of Sinnoh last time he showed up. I think he and Rowan will do something scientific (vague huh?) from the lab to help stop Team Galactic.

2. Since he has an Electivire that knows protect just like Paul, I think he will teach Ash how to overcome defensive moves before the league begins.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
^^ Because he appiered so much in Hoenn ;x

Personaly, I wish Gary would have stayed a Rival to Ash, but I do like his place in Sinnoh, helping Ash. I really wish he would appier more often though, because well... I don't need a reason, he is just that awsome. I love that he still is using his Umbreon too.

Brave Birdy

Yeah it's really a shame Ash's rivals weren't handled very well until Sinnoh. Gary had a lot of potential in Kanto that was unused.

There is definitely a reason for him to be in Sinnoh. I think the reason they added him is the following:

1. He said he was examining the lakes of Sinnoh last time he showed up. I think he and Rowan will do something scientific (vague huh?) from the lab to help stop Team Galactic.

2. Since he has an Electivire that knows protect just like Paul, I think he will teach Ash how to overcome defensive moves before the league begins.

Good ideas, I never actually thought that there could be a reason they randomly placed him in Sinnoh. I definitely agree with your first theory that they placed him to add something to the Galactic Arc, and your second theory seems reasonable as well, but I'm not exactly sure if Gary would teach Ash about Brick Break unless he had a pokemon that knows Brick Break himself.

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
well i like Gary Oak....
he is an interesting chracter.....
he always seem so strong...everytime he shows up he manage to succeed in whatever he is doing
and although i like him i don't want him to be in the main cast......traveling with Ash because that will lower his.....mysteriousness and i like this part about him.

i am not sure if research is really his theme in life and i won't be surprised if he will change his mind and become pokemon trainer once again (although that won't happen in the anime)
i think it was all because he lost to Ash and he didn't know what to do at the time....he seem more energetic in battling rather then research....but i could be wrong
anyhow he is on my top favorite characters in the anime and i hope they will show him more often then once a season

chimchar19

Rockstar Drift
When he appeared right before the Sinnoh adventure I though for sure he would come back with more powerful pokemon and be in a little more episodes. WRONG

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
I liked Gary better as a rival. He was so full of himself and was my favorite rival of Ash's. I also liked how he had his cheerleaders following him. Back when the episodes were fresh, I thought that his cheerleaders were funny, now i think its hott. jealous

Vernikova

Champion
Gary really wasn't the greatest rival on the show. I would consider Zoey a better rival just because she appears much more often than him.

Anyway, I always liked Gary. It's really a shame tht he didn't show up much during Johto but he's being treated better now as a Pokémon Researcher.

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
Gary really wasn't the greatest rival on the show. I would consider Zoey a better rival just because she appears much more often than him.

Anyway, I always liked Gary. It's really a shame tht he didn't show up much during Johto but he's being treated better now as a Pokémon Researcher.

Just because Zoey gets more screen time does not mean that she is the better rival. That's like saying Meowth is Team Rocket's best pokemon. If you took a 5 minute clip of Gary (as a rival), and a 5 minute clip of Zoey, Gary's clip would be a lot better!

Silver Trainer

I ♥ Pokemon
I liked Gary a lot when he was Ash's rival and was disappointed when he decided to study pokemon instead of continuing to be a trainer because he was a really good one.

I dind't like him in the old episode but I like him in the new episodes. Because he's nice and make friends with ash so on so. :)

STICKTOPIA

Gary was mean in the beginning but I like how he changed his ways. He's even helping Ash out like he did with Gligar.

Vipsoccermaster

In the old episodes, Gary was a good rival, in most cases. However, in the newer episodes, it was nice to see him helping out Ash and his friends.

Surfer_Dude

Aspiring Guitarist
I wish Gary would appear more in the anime.
It was really funny in the johto anime where ash uses the computer and gary's face appears on the computer multiple times! :p

granbull guy

Vasoline
OMFRIGGING I totally love Ash's and Gary's rivalrie! It's so funny but now he's all nice Booh~