• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GB Aggro-Control(MTG, Casual Legacy)

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Eh, been messing and testing with the deck I posted something like 2 months ago, and this is what I ended up with. I'm reposting it as it's vastly different from my first draft, which as so insanely flawed. Added some money to it as well. It's a heavily tempo-related deck, and is around having an answer to most situations. Pretty strongly sideboard oriented. The deck is posted in order of converted mana costs. Built for casual, but I built it hoping for some competivity. Also aware that this rolls over and dies to a Chalice of the Void set to three, but I'm working out how to best deal with that.

[Maindeck]
Creatures:
4x Dark Confidant
4x Viridian Zealot
4x Toshiro Umezawa
4x Ohran Viper
3x Troll Ascetic
4x Blastoderm

Instant/Sorceries:
4x Duress
4x Vendetta
4x Diabolic Edict
4x Putrefy

Land:
2x Volrath's Stronghold
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Golgari Rot Farm
4x Llanowar Wastes
1x Okina, Temple to the Godfathers
1x Forest
1x Shizo, Death's Warehouse
1x Swamp
3x Reflecting Pool
2x Treetop Village

[Sideboard]
Artifacts/Enchantments:
3x Tormod's Crypt
4x Defense Grid
4x Cursed Totem
4x Engineered Plague
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The mainboard Nourishes could have, and could be, truthfully any card in the sideboard. Nourishes and Last Gasps were the only things that weren't specialized, and with twelve removal spells in the deck Last Gasp would overextend and screw up my first game against decks with few creatures. Nourish is kind of a card that will never really help but will never really hurt, and makes up for the life loss in the deck against decks like burn, which are pretty common in my local meta. They can always go out during game 2, and they're just kind fill space, so not too much mind should be payed to them. The numbers of City of Solitude and Cursed Totem are interchangable, but the Cursed is better early game and the City I can draw at pretty much any time in a control matchup to get some cards online.

EDIT: I messed with the mana-base a little. Not sure on the Reflecting Pools however; I need to get some and test it a few times before I decide whether it's overrated or not too bad. Also, thinking about something basic to deal with Chalice like sideboard Nats, while screwing with my main to incorporate it. Does anyone have a better idea? Affinity is no longer that powerful, so running 11(+3 Nat.) artifact-hate spells seems like overkill, and the Grip seems pretty crucial in certain match-ups, as an unexpected Split Second wins games. Help please?

EDIT 2: I figured out a way to deal with a Chalice at three without screwing the deck/sideboard over. I decided to run a few copies of Viridian Zealot maindeck and a few in the side, as well as take out the Nourishes mainboard for some more solid cards. The Twisted Abominations went out, as I overlooked the inherent disadvantage of flipping him over with the Confidant, especially since this is not purely an Aggro deck. Messed with the mana-base again, and fixed up the sideboard for my new main. Grips are still there for the Split Second value. Running two Strongholds since it's unlike I'll draw both and the fact that it's amazing, a recycling engine for my creatures. If I do draw two, then I have a backup versus Land Destruction if I happen to be playing it. It's not quite win-win, but I believe the benefits outweigh the risk. The Cabal Pit in board is just in case is doesn't in some matchups, and can also side out for the basic swamp in main if the matchup can be swayed by the extra removal. We'll see how much I need it, however, after I'm able to test this, which will likely be in a month or two. Considering putting back some more removal in the board, but right now it doesn't seem as if more removal is necessary. There's something like 16 ways to kill creatures right now, and it seems more than enough considering the format. I'll actually like have a different board and strategy depending on what I'm doing, and I'll post them when I have enough time to work them out.

EDIT 3: Messed with the card counts a bit to add a few copies of Tainted Pact. It's cheap card fixing, Toshiro-able, and in certain situations a blitz Pact has a chance of netting me the card I need to win the game. Not perfect, but it's definitely justifiable to run a few copies. Edict remained out instead of Gasp since Gasp serves its role as early removal that isn't dead late-game much better than the Edict, though the Edict is more solid in general, able to take out things like Akroma where Gasp can't. I sideboarded a copy, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. I really would like help on this, any of the 14 or so people who viewed this.

EDIT 4(!): Maindecked the fourth Zealot so I could make room in the side for a fourth Engineered Plague versus Goblins, which are a bit too fast for this deck's liking. It's also a bonus against a lot of decks, as I can name soldiers to shut to Decree, Insects to shut down Beacon, and Saprolings for that odd swarm deck. Not sure if taking out the Ascetic was the right move, however. Got a fourth Totem versus UG Madness, and a few Defense Grids for anti-Psychatog as well as for generic control, as, thankfully, to my knowledge, 'Tog doesn't run Force Spikes anymore, so my Grids can resolve without trouble, unlike City of Solitude. Not as stable, but it does its job, and lets me instant speed removal their 'Tog in response to Upheaval, though that may not always be the best idea. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm considering siding, or even maining, Sudden Deaths against 'Tog, but I'm not sure as to what to take out, as Defense Grid gives me something to lean on versus Draw-Go and Duress gives me some early disruption that is so valuable against a lot of decks. Could I please have some help here, any of you viewers?

Last edited: