• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GBA Game Battery

GreatGonzales

The Master
I've just starting playing my pokemon emerald again of late, and whenever I turn on the game, I receive the message "The internal game battery has run dry. The game can still be played, but clock-based events will no longer occur."

Before you ask, no, the cartridge is not, I repeat, not counterfeit. I bought it new at GameStop, and pre-ordered it, to boot.

I can still save, and the game plays fine, but I'm assuming that daily / time based occurrences such as berry growing won't happen anymore.

Any possible way to recharge or change the battery? Thanks.

Rezzo

Occasionally
There should be, but there's no official way of doing it. Just look up a guide on WikiHow if there is one, or a similar website and be careful; you might ruin your game altogether, so be prepared for that. Try to stay away from YouTube video tutorials as they always tend to be rushed, in my experience of them.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
I exchanged my battery on my Gold cartridge, and I'm pretty sure it would be similliar on a GBA cart. I don't know what battery is needed though, but I think it wouldn't cost more than $3. You have the choice of either molding the new battery in or just adding some plain tape, I strongly recommend the latter. Incase you need to change it again it will be even harder to get that new molding loose and you might spill liquid metal on something while you're molding. Tape is enough, the screws keeps the cartridge tight enough to keep the battery in place.

I don't have a specific guide but I think this might give you an idea of how it will work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9e3_hrTVc
Even though the video description says it's how GBA games work.

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
You can't recharge internal battery, but you can change it.

Sadly, Nintendo can't repair the battery nowadays as it involves a past system that's not their no. 1 priority anymore, so you are on your own unless you want to upgrade(or buy newer pokemon games) and leave your emerald pokemon, if any are left, to rot... As for finding the battery itself, good luck trying to find a new(un-refurbished) battery that may or may not be actively manufactured now, as if they had quit making new versions of the battery, just like the G/S/C game battery some time back, it's now hard to find in today's market, unlike the market back when the GBA was at its prime...

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerKaden

This happens to everyones. I don't think that there is a way to fix it, but it even happened to my Ruby version which my Grandpa bought for me about a week after it came out from Toy's R Us. I doubt your game is a counterfeit.

Maylu Sakurai

Dawn's ultimate Fan!
Zouraruler you can actually fix it but it requires the cart to be opened to remove the old battery and solder in a new one