• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 4 UU Lead Arcanine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes

Pokemon Horder
Hey, I'm (extremely) new to competitive pokemon and was wondering what y'all thought of my Arcanine, since I spent all weekend breeding him. I'm not quite sure what to do with him yet, but I was wondering if he could serve as a lead.

Sawtelle (Male Arcanine) @ ?Leftovers?
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-SpAtk)
EVs: 150ish HP/150ish Atk/ 200ish Spd

Moveset
Flare Blitz
ExtremeSpeed
Roar
Morning Sun/ Protect

Am I completely Noobish to think he could serve as a lead? I'm thinking that he could either shrug off or Protect all the frail leads with Fake Out, like ambipom, and then proceed to kill them with priority Xtrmspd or Flare Blitz if I think I'm faster. If I encounter anything I really don't like I can Roar it away if I think I can stand a hit.
I'm kind of hung up on whether to teach it Protect or not. It would make it more "leadish" and also make my set less typical (which I like), but once Morning Sun is unlearned it's not going to get re-learned, and recovery moves are always nice.
I plan on helping him out with a Grass, Water, Fire defensive base, which is a term I learned all of twenty minutes ago. Impish Leafeon can take physical attacks like it's nothing and Baton Pass Sword Dance. Imaginary Blastoise can Rapid Spin away entry hazards, has priority Aqua Jet and doesn't exist yet.
Thoughts?

BTW, He's named after The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, which I recommend to anyone who reads and likes dogs/Shakespeare.

Last edited:
Hmm....... I find it rather interesting that you gave him Morning Sun. I do not belive that Arcanine could function well as a lead. However, you have granted me an idea: Life Orb Arcanine with recovery. I have thought about giving sweepers access to recovery for a while. Do try it out and PM me if you have good results.

spuds4ever

Idk if arcanine would work as a lead but it does have decent speed so it might go. I would recommend putting Hidden power electric in there or thunder fang ( though I'm not positive if he can learn it...)

noob21

3 sum!!!
Im sorry but I also dont think arcanine could be a lead. But if you want him as a lead them you could make a sunny day team and make him bulky enough to take a hit and set up sun. Thats the only thing I can think of though.

Arceus94

You should use Intimidate :/

ThisIsPatrick

Arcanine could work well as a lead but needs to have a good offensive attack against water as spuds4ever said Thunder Fang would work well if all else fails. Id have protect in there to buy time or what ever.

pbnj97

Epic Trainer
I would say this set really could work with the right pokemon behind it. Arcanine is generally better in the middle of a sun team but with the right pokemon behind it he has potential as a lead. I would change only two things in this set. I would replace roar with protect because lets face it any supper affective hit will kill him. You should also change out his item for a muscle band or life orb tu boost your attacks.

You should use intimidate and max out its speed IVs and EVs and switching it to a Jolly Nature. Id definitely pick Protect over Morning Sun. Otherwise I think this looks good. Maybe instead of leftovers use a focus sash.

AromaFlora

floofy
Arcanine is actually an amazing lead in DPP UU. I underestimate it so much, sadly. (Well, I lead with Venusaur but then I always try to sleep the Arcanine... lol) You want to run this:

Arcanine @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Grass / Overheat

Read it here: here. It's called the Attacking Lead. Absorbs status once, gives status, deals damage, scares weaklings off. Awesome. It's not made to last long though, but you certainly can do so for some last-hit ExtremeSpeed goodiness.

Oh, and sorry, but:

Locked. Single rates go here ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.