• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

gen 5 = pure failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMCL85

advance last for 4 years before dp, same apply to dp. bw started in 2010 only 2 years and its over, guess nintendo know it fail too. pokemon just too sh!tty in gen 5

ebevan91

I'm sure this thread will be locked but I don't think Gen V was a failure, it just released at a bad time (or the 3DS released at a bad time).

duhu

Better than last gen.

Shadow XD001

Gen 5 was a pretty good gen imo. I was kind of expecting it to be on the shorter side, with Gen 4 and Gen 3 lasting a while, along with the 3DS release.

SapphSabre777

I'm sure this thread will be locked but I don't think Gen V was a failure, it just released at a bad time (or the 3DS released at a bad time).

Absolutely. It was a quick entry and exit for Gen. V, but it was a good generation imo. But now the time comes for X and Y to show Pokemon at the 3DS.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I wouldn't say it's a pure failure, it has all sorts of cool mechanics I love and my second favorite Pokemon:Emolga. I like that TMs are re-usable and Pokemon have moving sprites so it they don't seem so lifeless. There was also so many cool moments in the games. I thought Gen V was awesome.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Gen 5 was something that came in at an akward time due to the switching of the cycle. However I would not call it a failure. It will be 3 years old by the time the next gen starts meaning it will be as old as Johto

Gen 5 was way superior to Gen 4 to me and still is. Doesn't matter how long it's used untill the next gen. The QUALITY of the story and the battles, not the QUANTITY of the years it's in use.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's more a hardware thing than a "crappy Gen" thing. Pokemon's Pokemon, really; BW/2 were the only games of Gen V because they were released on dying hardware, and releasing more games on the DS is unsustainable, even if it were Gen VI.

bw started in 2010 only 2 years and its over, guess nintendo know it fail too. pokemon just too sh!tty in gen 5

You're aware that Gen VI isn't released until October, right?

Meaning Gen V will have lasted three years by then?

Zorkel567

It was nowhere near a failure. It brought in plenty of new Pokemon, and tried to act as a bit of a relaunch, with the cutting off of old Pokemon until after the Elite 4. It seems more a generation for trying new things, such as Black and White 2. The DS was already heading out when Generation 5 was starting, people knew that the DS was dying. So it was always going to be shorter. It seemed like it was built to be more like Generation 1, all brand new Pokemon, on the shorter side, and you never know what is coming next. It had plenty of cool new designs, new mechanics (Seasons, Triple/Rotation Battles), and even gave an interesting motive to the villian. Hopefull Generation 6 will be able to have a great Villian Team like Plasma. Gen 5 may be shorter than people are used to, but it was not a fail.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It wasn't a complete failure, the BW games were the best games of the franchise imo, though the BW anime was a complete failure imo.

DSDark

Breeder
Not completely. There are things the 5th generation did right and did very wrong.
Good:
The story. The story in Black and White was by far the best story told to date in a pokemon game. The story flowed and was almost constant present.
The Graphics. The graphic's a BW and BW2 showed us what the DS was really compatible of. They also added in features that while weren't grand were cool, like move trainers in battle and use over world motion like leaves falling.

The Bad:
The pokemon designs. The fifth generation pokemon are awful on a purely cosmetic aspect. An Ice cream cone and a pile of trash. I don't think I'm the only that would agree if we could shoe horn the fifth out pokemon existence we would in a heartbeat.
The timing. The fifth generation ran into a problem it should have avoided. Pokemon Company and Nintendo knew the 3DS was coming out but instead of focusing their effort on the 3DS they decided for one last push with the DS and in the long it turned the fifth generation into an awkward child the doesn't belong.

I personally would have to say that the fifth generation is a mistake Pokemon Company and GameFreak would like to take back if they could.

Gen 5 was way superior to Gen 4 to me and still is. Doesn't matter how long it's used untill the next gen. The QUALITY of the story and the battles, not the QUANTITY of the years it's in use.

Generation 4 was by far one of the best generation ever released. Miles a head of generation 3 and just behind I and II.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I wouldn't say it's a pure failure, it has all sorts of cool mechanics I love and my second favorite Pokemon:Emolga. I like that TMs are re-usable and Pokemon have moving sprites so it they don't seem so lifeless. There was also so many cool moments in the games. I thought Gen V was awesome.

I agree, it may have only been short due to the 3DS coming out soon, or since it was a "Fresh Start" it was like Gen I or II. Gen I lasted for 774 days (in English), Gen II lasted for 885 days (in English), and in October Gen V will End. Estimating X and Y coming out on October 1st, Gen V would have lasted for (in English) 941 days. Which is near 1000 and almost 3 years. It's somewhat short-lived, but acceptable. ^_^

Besides, Gen V is still going on for now at least. xD

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
It wasn't a TOTAL failure. I mean it did give us reusable TM's and SOME good Pokemon, and the ubers were cool. It also gave us good sprites. I just don't think the reboot idea was good. It was to soon for a reboot.

The reason it was a failure is because it was way to easy, had huge level gaps that tried to prolong the game by grinding, and shoved the rivals down our throats. It wold have been better if it wasn't a reboot. But it wasn't TERRIBLE, just boring imo. I'm glad their moving on though. I've kinda had enough of gen 5.

inb4 this gets locked.

IMCL85

I'm gonna get my 3ds soon, but for now there just not too many game on 3ds interest me. I guess the only way they can kill ds is moving all the pokemon to the new console

BGP_

advance last for 4 years before dp, same apply to dp. bw started in 2010 only 2 years and its over, guess nintendo know it fail too. pokemon just too sh!tty in gen 5
it'll be 3 years in japan, slightly over actually making it slightly longer than gen 2. Is gen 2 a failure just by length? I swear gen V gets way more hate than it deserves, it easily has the best story, some of the best characters, music, and plenty of other things. Just because people can't come to accept the 5th gen designs and the fact that we can't stay 8-bit forever is painful to witness. Anyone who thinks gen V was utter failure should reconsider. Gen V quite honestly changed quite a bit and is exactly why today's speculation was so off the wall because we knew gamefreak could actually surprise us now!

Also, there's plenty of 3ds games coming this year and good ones that are already out. If the 3ds has a crappy library, what are we supposed to call the vita's because there wouldn't be a word bad enough to describe it in comparison to the 3ds's....

Last edited:

Ludicoconut

Water&Grass Trainer
I have appreciated each and every generation ( that I have played through) for all the little things that they brought to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.