• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

gen 5 = pure failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMCL85

tm and system wise its ok, consider u can spam tm all days now. awesome pokemon? hell no, most of them junks. especially the starters.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Failure? No, the Dream World concept was great plus the sequels filled to the brim with side-quests like traditional RPGs were outstanding additions. The real disappointment is how long it lasted. Oh well, we live the present so might as well adapt to it.

My only fear is how out of hand the competitive section is going to get as it already annoys me to no ends.

Flame Mistress

We had four great main series games, four decent spin-offs, two (three, technically) 3DS apps, and the Dream World. I'd hardly call that "pathetic".

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
Generation V is one of the best generations IMO. It has a less tedious exp. system, infinite use tms, and interesting Pokemon like Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, and Braviary.

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
Generation 5 is the best gen yet in my opinion. So no, it was fast, but that doesn't mean I won't have fond memories of it.

gliscor&yanmega

Amount of days for each generation(Based on bublapedia):

Generation 1:
En October 14, 2000 (774 days)
Jp November 21, 1999 (1363 days)

Generation 2:
En March 19, 2003 (885 days)
Jp November 21, 2002 (1096 days)

Generation 3:
En April 22, 2007 (1495 days)
Jp September 28, 2006 (1407 days)

Generation 4:
En March 4, 2011 (1412 days)
Jp September 18, 2010 (1451 days)

Generation 5:
En 676 days and still counting until the next games come out.
Jp 843 days and still counting until the next games come out.

As Generation 6 will be out October, if it's on the 1st then that's still around at least 265 bring it to 941 for English games and 1108 for Japanese games. English wise, it would be longer then the first two, Japanese wise it was longer then Generation 2. Generation 5 also only had two set of games where as Generation 3 and 4 had three(First two, remake duo, and third installment).

So the length means absolutely nothing.

tm and system wise its ok, consider u can spam tm all days now. awesome pokemon? hell no, most of them junks. especially the starters.

I guess you aren't aware people like different things. Every Pokemon has a lot of people who like them, and a lot who don't. Nothing is wrong with any of the Pokemon designs, none are problematic(Besides Jynx). Personal disinterest means nothing.

Last edited:

Fangking Omega

Boulder Trainer
Dismissing Gen V designs like Vanillite for being "unoriginal" really irritates me. As a standalone evolution chain based off an ice cream cone it is original in the pantheon of Pokémon we have... and also how is it any less interesting than the flurry of "add a head to make it evolve" Gen I Pokémon, or ones that were purely spheres? I admit there were some Gen III, IV and V Pokémon that I wasn't sold on at first but as soon as I get into the games I realise how well they fit their environments and the Pokémon around them.

So, Gen V is over quickly - not due to any failure (certainly not in sales or critical reception!) but, as stated, due to the hardware cycle. Personally I think Gen IV, as great as it was, outstayed its welcome. Releasing Gen V on DS was a masterstroke - it maximised units sold due to the number of people with a DS that were able to play it, and it got the absolute best out of the hardware. Releasing Gen V on 3DS would have meant a lack of familiarity with the hardware and dev kit and FAR too much time between new generations. The Fifth Generation got the gameplay mechanics spot on resulting in a slick game that looked and played great, along with a good story (especially by Pokémon standards!) and a genuine sequel packed with features during and after the quest. Not to mention a fresh roster of Pokémon that are so much better than they're given credit for.

If Pokémon X and Y weren't getting a simultaneous worldwide release and we were waiting until, say, March 2014 for the English translation then I don't think anyone say that Gen V was rushed out of the door. There is nowhere else to go with Gen V. Gen III remakes were pointless since GBA games are playable on (older) DS hardware, releasing a remake for 3DS would have been a cop-out for the first main series title on the handheld, and it could have presented compatibility issues. Releasing on DS would have been a foolish move. Nintendo will be keen for a flagship Pokémon title to sell systems and software. I think the timing for Gen VI is perfect from every perspective, just as releasing Gen V for DS was the correct move at the time.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Gen 5 was great
I loved it

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
advance last for 4 years before dp, same apply to dp. bw started in 2010 only 2 years and its over

Generation 1 and 2 lasted for 3 years, oh I guess they were

guess nintendo know it fail too.

Pokémon Black and White sold 4.3 million copies in Japan, took the #1 and #2 spots respectively in the UK overall sales charts and in the US, Black and White sold more than 1.08 million copies on day one, breaking the previous day-one record held by predecessors Diamond and Pearl of 780,000 copies.

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 have combined sales of 4.26 million copies worldwide.

Next time do your research before made up nonsense and you would avoid looking stupid.

pokemon just too sh!tty in gen 5

A poorly formed opinion that is trying to be passed as fact.

Again a poorly formed opinion that is trying to be passed as fact.

Pikac

Banned
The 5 Gen aswell as the anime has been one of the most well made Generations in history. The 3 Gen was ok and the 4 Gen was shitty.

diakyu

Do people not know gen 5 was designed to be short from the beginning? I thought this was common knowledge.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
the 4 Gen was shitty.

A poorly formed opinion that is trying to be passed as fact.

Folks if you are going to say that you didn't like generation X at least provide a reasonable statement why you didn't like it. Rather than saying "generation X is crap" and then running off, it's a childish thing to do and frankly it's really pathetic.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I disagree. The pokemon looked very cool to me and the games were great too (the games were great sellersthem selves). So I don't think the 5th gen failed at all.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
Generation 5 gave us

Triple Battles
Rotation Battles
Re-usable TM's
Dream World
Dream World Abilities
Combination move (pledges)
New Breeding Mechanics
New Shiny Mechanics
Battle Subway/Pokemon World Tournament
A deep engaging storyline( that actually warranted a true sequel and not a rehash with a few frills)
A lot of unique Pokemon(imo)

If all that constitutes a failure then I give up on life.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
The gen V games rival gen II and HG/SS as my favorite Pokemon games of all time. Gen V was not a failure, it was just a shame that it didn't last as long and that it was released at an awkward moment. I really loved gen five, the story, music, and yes even the Pokemon grew on me. People are entitled to opinions but please respect other peoples opinions as well. I really dislike Diamond/Pearl but you don't see me bashing those games, because while they were my least favorites something good came from them, that that something was a Piplup ;)

I can't wait for gen VI, I'm really loving that Deer legendary Pokemon.

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
The only thing wrong with Gen 5 was that the games were nothing but more of the same, unlike Gen 3 and 4 which offered a bunch of new things. Well, that and I really dislike Team Plasma. But other than that, it most certainly did not fail.

Generation 5 gave us

Triple Battles
Rotation Battles
Re-usable TM's
Dream World
Dream World Abilities
Combination move (pledges)
New Breeding Mechanics
New Shiny Mechanics
Battle Subway/Pokemon World Tournament
A deep engaging storyline( that actually warranted a true sequel and not a rehash with a few frills)
A lot of unique Pokemon(imo)

If all that constitutes a failure then I give up on life.

You actually do have a good point. While Black and White gave you almost nothing but more of the same in terms of gameplay, it STILL noticably improved upon the formula.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Not another gen 5 Bashing thread.>_<
The nostalgia that the first gen brought was great,but I believe pokemon is getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.