• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 5 Sun OU

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
As the name implies, this is a Gen 5 Sun OU team, so here it is!

First is the Team Building Process
038.gif

First I needed a pokemon to set up sun, Ninetails
038.gif
003.gif

Next was a good sun abuser, who is better than DW Venusaur?
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif

Next was my 2nd Sun abuser, Volcarona.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif

Next I wanted a Physical Sweeper, Dragonite worked out well. He also covers the weakness to water that comes up if the sun goes down and rain goes up.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif
196.gif

Next I realized that this team is hazard weak, and I wanted a screen user. Espeon is the first pokemon that comes to mind.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif
196.gif
485.gif

Finally, I needed a revenge killer and a pokemon that covers the fire weakness of Venusaur, as well as the Ice weakness of dragonite and Venusaur. Scarf Heatran is the first pokemon that comes to mind.
So here is the team:
038.gif

Ninetails w/ Power Herb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Spd/ 252 SpA/ 4 HP
Nature: Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-[HP] Ice
This is my sun starter/nasty plot mini-sweeper. he really has no purpose besides setting up sun, and possibly taking out a pokemon or two if needed. Nasty plot is for increasing Special Attack, Flamthrower is for Sun boosted STAB, Solarbeam Power Herb combo is for countering Politoad and to win the weather war, as well as a good coverage on other waters, and [HP] Ice is for coverage and countering dragons.
003.gif

Venusaur w/ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest/(If turned into mixed Venusaur ->Mild?/Lonely?)
- Growth/Sleep Powder
- [HP] Ice?/[HP] Fire?
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder?/Earthquake?
This here is my first sun abuser and my Chlorophyll sweeper. Under sun, taking this thing out is hard, especially with a Growth or two. Growth is for +2 Special Attack boost under the sun, [HP] Fire is for countering Scizor and also for Sun boosted Coverage. Solarbeam is for STAB but I'm thinking about replacing it with energy ball, and Earthquake is for coverage as well as countering Heatran and other fires.
637.gif

Volcarona w/ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd 252 SpA/ 4 HP
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
My 2nd and final Sun abuser and main special sweeper. The only thing wrong with this thing is 50% rocks loss and its frail (without quiver dance, but even then it has defensive weakness). Morning sun is to stay alive and to stall a little bit, Quiver Dance is for stat boosts and a great sweeping opportunity, and Feiry dance as well as Bug buzz is for STAB and coverage. I chose Feiry Dance over Fire Blast because it has more accuracy and possibly more stat boosts.
149.gif

Dragonite w. Leftovers/Lum Berry?
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd/ 252 Att/ 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Dragonite here is my physical sweeper, which is neccisary (sorry can't spell) on this team or blissey/chansey will wall my every move. Also, this thing is a monster under screens. Dragon Dance is for speed and attack boosts and dragon claw is for STAB and coverage. I chose Dragon claw over outrage because if i get locked into outrage and they swap to scizor, they get a free set up. Earthquake is for coverage and to counter Heatran, and Fire Punch is for Sun boosted coverage and things such as Scizor and Ferrothorn.
196.gif

Alien Cat (Espeon) w/ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 80 HP/ 252 Def/ 178 Sdef
Nature: Bold
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Wish
- Psychic/Psyshock
This is espeon. He is my wish and screen supporter. Also, this team was stealth rock weak so I needed something to get rid of rocks, I also love espeon because she also has wish and screens. Paired up with Dnite, I can get up at least 2 Dragon Dances before sweeping all who come in my path. Reflect and Light Screen is for screen support (obviously). Wish is for healing, others as well as Espeon its self. I needed one attacking move, so I chose Psychic for its STAB.
485.gif

Heatran w/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest/Timid?
- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam
- Earth Power
- [HP] Ice
Please don't suggest taking off choice scarf, because I need this as a revenge killer, and I have grown quite fond of this thing scarfed. This abnormal set is the teams revenge killer. Fire blast is his best Sun boosted STAB move he has in my opinion. Solarbeam is for coverage, as well as countering bulky waters (Rotom-W/Jellicent) [HP] Ice is for coverage and countering dragons and Gliscor/Landorus, and Earth Power is for countering Magnazone and other Heatran as well as for coverage.

586-summer.gif

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Adamant w/ Chlorofill
4 HP/252 Att/252 Sp
-Horn Leech
-Return
-Swords Dance
-Jump Kick

157.gif

Typhlosion w/ Choice Scarf
Modest w/ Flash Fire
4 HP/ 252 S.Att/ 252 Spd
-Eruption
-Flamethrower
-Solarbeam
-Focus Blast

If you could, please answer to the question marked items/moves/natures. Don't feel scared to give your suggestions, I am open to new ideas and pokemon. Just don't suggest Ubers or terrible pokemon like Luvdisc/Sunkurn
That's it, now, BEGIN THE RATES! :)

Last edited:

jianderson

anti-hacker
on your espeon description, you said you didnt want espy to become taunt bait. magic bounce stops taunts as well.

uberheracross

The Ominous Breeze
there is a typo on your Volcarona its says 'feiry dance' otherwise this team hasn't got muh opposition especially because venusaur is a monster ^^

As the name implies, this is a Gen 5 Sun OU team, so here it is!

First is the Team Building Process
038.gif

First I needed a pokemon to set up sun, Ninetails
038.gif
003.gif

Next was a good sun abuser, who is better than DW Venusaur?
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif

Next was my 2nd Sun abuser, Volcarona.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif

Next I wanted a Physical Sweeper, Dragonite worked out well. He also covers the weakness to water that comes up if the sun goes down and rain goes up.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif
196.gif

Next I realized that this team is hazard weak, and I wanted a screen user. Espeon is the first pokemon that comes to mind.
038.gif
003.gif
637.gif
149.gif
196.gif
485.gif

Finally, I needed a revenge killer and a pokemon that covers the fire weakness of Venusaur, as well as the Ice weakness of dragonite and Venusaur. Scarf Heatran is the first pokemon that comes to mind.
So here is the team:
038.gif

Ninetails w/ Power Herb
Ability: Drought
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-[HP] Ice
This is my sun starter/nasty plot mini-sweeper. Nasty plot is for increasing Special Attack, Flamthrower is for Sun boosted STAB, Solarbeam Power Herb combo is for countering Politoad and to win the weather war. [HP] Ice is for coverage and countering dragons
good
003.gif

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
- Growth
- [HP] Fire
- Solar Beam
- Sleep Powder
This here is my first sun abuser and Chlorophyll sweeper. Growth is for Special Attack boost, [HP] Fire is for countering Scizor and Sun boosted Coverage. Solarbeam is for STAB, and Sludge Bomb is also for STAB.
use growth +2 in sun and sleep poeder allows you to set up
637.gif

Volcarona w/ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd 252 SpA/ 4 HP
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
My 2nd Sun abuser and main special sweeper. Morning sun is for healing, Quiver Dance is for stat boost, and Feiry dance as well as Bug buzz is for STAB.
Good set i fixed the typo uselessly pointed out in an above comment
149.gif

Dragonite w. Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
This thing is a monster under screens. Dragon Dance is for stat boots, dragon claw is for coverage, Earthquake is for coverage and to counter Heatran, and Fire Punch is for Sun boosted coverage.
True it is a monster
196.gif

Alien Cat (Espeon) w/ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 80 HP/ 252 Def/ 178 Sdef
Nature: Bold
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Wish
- Psychic/Psyshock
This is for Screen and Wish support. Reflect and Light Screen is for screen support. Wish is for healing and team support. Psychic is for STAB and to stop it from being Taunt bait.
as said in the comments you will not be taunt bait due to magic bounce
485.gif

Heatran w/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
- Fire Blast
- Dragon pulse
- Earth Power
- [HP] Ice
This this is a NASTY revenge killer. Fire blast is for Sun boosted STAB. Solarbeam is for coverage, [HP] Ice is for coverage and countering dragons, and Earth Power is for countering Magnazone and other Heatran.
very good i woudl use dragon pulse over solar beam however due to the charge out of sun and the perfect neutral coverage with fire balst and earth power
Don't feel scared to give your suggestions, I am open to new ideas and pokemon. Just don't suggest Ubers or terrible pokemon like Luvdisc/Sunkurn
That's it, now, BEGIN THE RATES! :)

now to the above raters dont just say that there is a spelling mistake it is rude he asked you to help him with his team and if you are going explain that he wont be taunt bait maybe give some extra advice like how he couldnt decide inbetween three moves in two places

good team and i hope you do well

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Thanks, and I will fix the Typos

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Bump, need some more rates!

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
I can't say I'm really all that set with Solarbeam or Sludge Bomb on Venusaur. After a growth or two the additional power in solarbeam becomes an after thought. Energy Ball can still be used outside of the sun if someone finds Venusaur as a chance to change the weather while it sets up. With a growth or two behind it it's still going to hit really hard. Sludge Bomb doesn't do anything in lines of coverage and a lot of pokemon resist it (Ghost, Ground, Poison and Rock resist, Steel is outright immune). Sleep Powder seems more favorable since your ability gives you a speed edge. I also don't know about Solarbeam on Heatran. When you get down to it, HP Ice already covers a lot of ground choices what will strike for insane damage. But I also see the dilemna of "what to put in it's place?"

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
I see the point about Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball, but Solarbeam on Heatran was for countering Water Types like Rotom W, Vaporeon, stuff like that.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
I see the point about Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball, but Solarbeam on Heatran was for countering Water Types like Rotom W, Vaporeon, stuff like that.

I can absolutely follow your logic. Although, Gastrodon and Politoed (for obvious reasons) aside, I wouldn't put too much fear into water types while it's sunny out. Even a fire blast will have around 135 bp in sunlight against water types. That's granted my lazy math was done right.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
I can absolutely follow your logic. Although, Gastrodon and Politoed (for obvious reasons) aside, I wouldn't put too much fear into water types while it's sunny out. Even a fire blast will have around 135 bp in sunlight against water types. That's granted my lazy math was done right.
Under sun, Heatran lost 75% from a Scarf Hydro from Rotom-W, plus what else am I to put on it?

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Under sun, Heatran lost 75% from a Scarf Hydro from Rotom-W, plus what else am I to put on it?

Oh, sorry, I'm not telling you not to use solarbeam at this point. I'm just saying the likelihood of water types wanting to come out in sun isn't high (and even if they do, they don't offer a large threat to your team). Like I said previously, it's not like Heatran is loaded with moves to fill the slot with anyway lol.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Oh, sorry, I'm not telling you not to use solarbeam at this point. I'm just saying the likelihood of water types wanting to come out in sun isn't high (and even if they do, they don't offer a large threat to your team). Like I said previously, it's not like Heatran is loaded with moves to fill the slot with anyway lol.

Ok, I get it, thanks! Any more rates?

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Again, any more rates?

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
I would change your Ninetales set to a defenive one, because you already have like 3 others in your team. On that note 3 of your pokemon are weak to ground which can seem to be problematic. If you want to use your espeon as wish support the ev's should be 252 HP / 252Spe timid.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
I would change your Ninetales set to a defenive one, because you already have like 3 others in your team. On that note 3 of your pokemon are weak to ground which can seem to be problematic. If you want to use your espeon as wish support the ev's should be 252 HP / 252Spe timid.

Actually 2 (Tran and Tails) Venusaur is 1x damage and the ground weakness is why I have Dragonite, plus, what else could I add to take out the weakness to ground?

ProjectTitan313

Fire breathing moth
Actually 2 (Tran and Tails) Venusaur is 1x damage and the ground weakness is why I have Dragonite, plus, what else could I add to take out the weakness to ground?

Latios or Latias could do well over Espeon or Dragonite. Ground immunity, and with Thunderbolt they act as rain checks, and can capitalize on a Sun teams natural ability to deter Steels while adding in some Heatran insurance. Latios can check Terrakion (whom will maul you if Sand is up as Ninetales can't come in) with Psyshock, or can run Memento to give Volcarona and Venusaur a great setup opportunity. Latias is a bulky sweeper or supporter, and has Healing Wish. If either one gets low on health, you can just suicide and get a window to setup.
I really don't know how to rearrange the team though; you'd have 2 dragons or 2 psychics either way, and there's really nothing wrong with Nite or Espeon. But thought it could help out.

Also, definitely Energy Ball on Venusaur, or other weather starters will humiliate you. Personal experience. If you think about it it: With Solarbeam, Tyranitar walls you.
Volcarona, I'd use Lum Berry over focus sash, as Toxic Spikes and Thunder Wave will completely ruin it and you don't have a cleric. It also lets you use a Toxic or Thunder Wave as a setup turn.
Heatran could also use Roar over Solarbeam, to phaze out Latias/Latios and stop them from setting up on you and rack up damage if you bounce some hazards. Nothing wrong with Solarbeam though.
Ninetales, I find she dies quick without some bulk, particularly when Ttar comes in and Pursuit traps. Will-o-Wisp can handle that nicely.

I hope some of it helps :)

ashsinnoh

Heatran eventually looks like it can cause problems if played right. It benefits from sun and together with Mamoswine can make your team hard to function. I think you might want to add EQ somewhere on Venusaur, cause you literally can't touch him. Also, spinner would help your team, even if you have Espy for preventing that, it won't life forever. So as suggested you could eventually run Latios in place of Espy and fit some spinner. Hope I helped.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Latios or Latias could do well over Espeon or Dragonite. Ground immunity, and with Thunderbolt they act as rain checks, and can capitalize on a Sun teams natural ability to deter Steels while adding in some Heatran insurance. Latios can check Terrakion (whom will maul you if Sand is up as Ninetales can't come in) with Psyshock, or can run Memento to give Volcarona and Venusaur a great setup opportunity. Latias is a bulky sweeper or supporter, and has Healing Wish. If either one gets low on health, you can just suicide and get a window to setup.
I really don't know how to rearrange the team though; you'd have 2 dragons or 2 psychics either way, and there's really nothing wrong with Nite or Espeon. But thought it could help out.

Also, definitely Energy Ball on Venusaur, or other weather starters will humiliate you. Personal experience. If you think about it it: With Solarbeam, Tyranitar walls you.
Volcarona, I'd use Lum Berry over focus sash, as Toxic Spikes and Thunder Wave will completely ruin it and you don't have a cleric. It also lets you use a Toxic or Thunder Wave as a setup turn.
Heatran could also use Roar over Solarbeam, to phaze out Latias/Latios and stop them from setting up on you and rack up damage if you bounce some hazards. Nothing wrong with Solarbeam though.
Ninetales, I find she dies quick without some bulk, particularly when Ttar comes in and Pursuit traps. Will-o-Wisp can handle that nicely.

I hope some of it helps :)
Espeon is a spinner, screen support, wish support, and hazard user. I don't see a better support next to I see your point on Lum Berry and Will-o-Wisp, but why would I add roar on a choice scarf? That's kinda an oxymoron.

Heatran eventually looks like it can cause problems if played right. It benefits from sun and together with Mamoswine can make your team hard to function. I think you might want to add EQ somewhere on Venusaur, cause you literally can't touch him. Also, spinner would help your team, even if you have Espy for preventing that, it won't life forever. So as suggested you could eventually run Latios in place of Espy and fit some spinner. Hope I helped.
Then again, same goes for a spinner, and for Heatran counters, Earth Power on my Faster Htran and my Dnite. Multiscale, one dragon dance, overkill x100! And for Mamoswine, Dnite, and any one of my fire types, faster for sure, and then fire blast/ fiery dance/ flamethrower = Dead Mammoth.

Last edited: