1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gen 7 Mystery Dungeon. Wishlists, possible release date and evolution of the series?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Spinoff Discussion' started by shoz999, Sep 24, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Youngster Joey!

Yeaaaaah... so it's looking pretty dim for the Mystery Dungeon series so far. GameFreak doesn't have the best consistency with sequels to successful Pokemon spinoffs, often claiming they or the devs working on those spinoffs don't have any good ideas for sequels, however Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is normally pretty consistent. However there have so far been no signs of any Mystery Dungeon game releasing this year but let's say it happens anyway. You probably think there isn't much to go on but there actually sort of is and that's the Gen 7 release window of Let's Go and the Gen 8 games confirmed for late 2019, presumably November. If Chunsoft was working on those games, it'd probably be released sometime in-between December (the holiday seasons) to Summer (the March and Summer seasons). Also I wouldn't be surprised if they made this game for the 3DS as Nintendo is A) still trying to keep the platform alive in some ways and B) Pokemon spinoffs do best on handheld.

On a side note, if it does happen, I'm going to be betting a lot of you long-time Mystery Dungeon fans are going to choose Rowlet because of his flying/ghost advantages.

So in general. Do you think a Gen 7 Mystery Dungeon game will happen? Do you want to see it on the Switch but would you not be surprised if it releases on the 3DS? Which starter will you pick? Are you going to pick up the game for the story or the gameplay? Or heck, do you think Super Mystery Dungeon is the last Mystery Dungeon game? Honestly, that wouldn't be a bad to end things. Super Mystery Dungeon was quite a blast in quality and quantity.

Whitelily, M.P. and Jirachi100 like this.
  2. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I'd want a new Mystery Dungeon game for the 3DS since I don't own the Switch. Having remixed music from previous PMD games is practically a must since I like callbacks to the old PMD games.

3. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

If there was a new PMD I'd say the some of the starters you could choose from would be Rowlet, Litten, Poplio, Rockruff, and Alolan Meowth.

I imagine the villians would be the Ultra Beasts and Necrozma. Storywise they'd be extradimensional invaders who enter the PMD world and cause trouble.

4. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

Drop this series and give an actual good spinoff like Conquest sequel(s)

5. M.P.

M.P. Retired

I'm a big fan of the series, so I'm hoping there'll be a new PMD, but I'm not really sure whether one will happen. If one does happen, I hope there'll be a lot of Pokemon to pick your starter from, unlike in GTI. I'd probably pick either Rowlet or Litten as the starter and the other one as the partner. I reckon Switch is more likely to get a new PMD than the 3DS, though I honestly would prefer the latter more, as I don't have a Switch.

Whitelily and shoz999 like this.
  6. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

I love PMD, it gives us a game from the Pokemon's perspective instead of the humans and overall the story was usually pretty neat. I'd like it if we switched roles with our partner where we're the Pokemon who finds the human transformed into a Pokemon. The school in SMD was nice but I'll admit it was irrelevant except for Espurr so if they have another school maybe it could be more important to the story? I also want an Eevee starter admittedly because of this webcomic about Eeveelutions that I like. And maybe they could include some Ultra Beasts to

Whitelily, dannymusic and shoz999 like this.
  7. dannymusic

dannymusic The Smiling Trombonist

I agree with Ultra Beast Lover; a big commonality with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is that the "human turned into a pokemon" aspect of the main character is always a major part of the storyline. This kinda handicapped the story in later installments so it'd be neat to see what would happen if future games would tweak that formula.

Aside of that, I think there's definitely some creative potential with the Ultra Beasts. What Pokemon Mystery Dungeon does very well is it gives pokemon personalities based on their designs (this is what made the Munna/Hydreigon reveal so dramatic in Gates to Infinity). We really don't know too much about the Ultra Beasts yet, so it'd be a very creative opportunity to do something major with their personalities and scenarios. The Tapus are also well-poised to play a role like the Lake Trio in Explorers (or possibly a "good guy who got it wrong" role like Alakazam's team in the first games)

8. mAdkip

mAdkip 4 elements

I really wish they'll release a new PMD game but they'd probably would have done so already. PSMD could have very well served as the series finale, as sad as it is. It is obvious they have run out of plot ideas and GtI didn't sell that well. Sadly this might be the end. (Popplio as a starter would've been SO cool!)

MockingJ and shoz999 like this.
  9. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

So since Generation 7 is ending soon, I guess we ain't getting a Gen 7 PMD game. I wonder if Gen 8 will give us one though?

Whitelily and shoz999 like this.
  10. D*N

D*N Musical Star

They were already developing with the switch I guess so it does make more sense for it to come to the switch if they are releasing a new game. I hope they will because MD is such a good spinoff and the potential for new exciting storylines is there.

MockingJ likes this.
  11. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The newer PMD games are really complex compared to the original DS versions, so I'd like to see the next generation of PMD games go back to more basic gameplay instead of introducing advanced features.

Whitelily likes this.
  12. NobleJanobii

NobleJanobii The Maddest Shaymim

I think it's likely if we get a new PMD game it'll be on the Switch, which could be interesting from a graphical standpoint to see how that goes. Personally I'd like to see the series go back to having actual villains, since while Dark Matter and Bittercold have amazing theme music, they never really did it as villains for me like Rayquaza, Dialga, or Darkrai did. I especially liked how the original PMD did it to where Rayquaza wasn't even really a bad guy, he was just obstinate. Something like that could be really interesting.

Whitelily likes this.
  13. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is my favorite spinoff since it's Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) with Pokemon. I'd agree the villain should be UBs (definitely Guzzlord) and Necrozma. Some main characters of this mystery dungeon should be Alolan Persian (The Nuzleaf of SMD), Xurkitree (The Beheyeem of SMD), Gigalith (The Carracosta of SMD), Solgaleo & Lunala (The Xerneas of SMD), Necrozma and Guzzlord (The Yveltal of SMD), and finally the Ampharos thing in Lively Town should stay the same, only including one new member which should be Rockruff. Kecleon Shop, Cofagrigus' Glorious Gold, Klefki's Box Opener Place, Hawlucha's Slam School, The Meowth Place, and Kangaskhan's Friendship Cafe should all stay the same. We should add a new place called Mimikyu's Z-Crystal Shop where you can add a Z-Crystal to one of your pokemon before going out. Z-Moves should work similar to how they do in Pokemon Duel.

Whitelily likes this.
  14. Whitelily

Whitelily Member

I hope we get an expanded Pokemon Mystery Dungeon universe that follows in the footsteps of Super Mystery Dungeon in Generation 8.