• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 7 or 6.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I have no doubt in my mind that it's gen 7. Remember, gen 4 and 5 were both on the DS, so it's not completely ridiculous to have gen 6 and 7 on the 3DS. I think it's going to be more like Black and White were, meaning they'll improve on what they did with XY in a similar manner BW improved on DPPt. Or at least that's what I think. But either way, it's gen 7.

Gen VII isn't going to stop being Gen VII based off of opinion. For example, it is my own opinion the fact Gen V was on the same console lead to it being even better, as it felt very refined.

Chomper4

My wishful thinking the Sun and Mün are only 6.5 is because I never like two Gen's being on the same handheld. It just doesn't feel...right.

There's no doubt this is Generation 7. New Pokemon means new generation.

Orphalesion

For example, it is my own opinion the fact Gen V was on the same console lead to it being even better, as it felt very refined.

And I agree with this opinion the improvements in graphics alone from D/P/PL to Black and White were astounding.

HoennMaster

Isn't Gens just a fan term? (I may be wrong)

*''"Welcome to the '''next generation''' of Pokémon!"'' (back of the box for Diamond and Pearl)

*''"Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl, exclusively on Nintendo DS, prove that the '''next generation''' of Pokémon games is taking the hugely popular franchise to amazing new levels."''
([http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Sw8fLPiPMydfaiwZREgJ2N6Q-wwFePWC Nintendo.com])

*''"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version features a '''new generation''' of amazing Pokémon."'' ([http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-black-version-and-pokemon-white-version/ Pokemon.com])

*''"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version will feature a '''new generation''' of amazing Pokémon."'' ([http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/KYV94iTvLxiUlOoM08N1simS8TaWvduX Nintendo.com])

*''"An all-new 3D Pokémon adventure packed with never-before-seen Pokémon has launched! Pokémon X and Pokémon Y presents a '''new generation''' of Pokémon and introduces players to an exciting new adventure in a breathtaking 3D world."'' ([http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-x-and-pokemon-y/ Pokemon.com])

PhoviaZ

*''"Welcome to the '''next generation''' of Pokémon!"'' (back of the box for Diamond and Pearl)

*''"Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl, exclusively on Nintendo DS, prove that the '''next generation''' of Pokémon games is taking the hugely popular franchise to amazing new levels."''
([http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Sw8fLPiPMydfaiwZREgJ2N6Q-wwFePWC Nintendo.com])

*''"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version features a '''new generation''' of amazing Pokémon."'' ([http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-black-version-and-pokemon-white-version/ Pokemon.com])

*''"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version will feature a '''new generation''' of amazing Pokémon."'' ([http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/KYV94iTvLxiUlOoM08N1simS8TaWvduX Nintendo.com])

*''"An all-new 3D Pokémon adventure packed with never-before-seen Pokémon has launched! Pokémon X and Pokémon Y presents a '''new generation''' of Pokémon and introduces players to an exciting new adventure in a breathtaking 3D world."'' ([http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-x-and-pokemon-y/ Pokemon.com])

Ah ok though if it was not for BW saying it I would think it would be calling it new gen due to new hardware tbh

Kingscr34m11

Hoenn Native
So for the sake of conversation let's assume that SuMo are using the exact same engine and infrastructure as XYORAS, no new gimmicks beyond new pokemon, would more people be on the 6.5 side?

I think until we see the new art design it will still feel like more of a lateral movement instead of vertical one. If too many assests are just being recycled from XYORAS then what exactly would set them apart?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
So for the sake of conversation let's assume that SuMo are using the exact same engine and infrastructure as XYORAS, no new gimmicks beyond new pokemon, would more people be on the 6.5 side?

I think until we see the new art design it will still feel like more of a lateral movement instead of vertical one. If too many assests are just being recycled from XYORAS then what exactly would set them apart?

What is the assumption that it would be exact same engine and everything? There is no reason to think that now.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer

Pokebank news so far speaks against this- they've confirmed VC Red,Blue and Yellow can go forwards to Sun and Moon, not to XYORAS. Which suggests dIfferent data structure. XYORAS also has been confirmed to be able to transfer forwards to Sun and Moon- but there has been no mention of transferring back- which strongly indicates a new generation

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
And I agree with this opinion the improvements in graphics alone from D/P/PL to Black and White were astounding.

To be honest the improvement of the graphics are with the transition from Gen I to II the weakest out of any generation. To many textures look pixelated and not as crisp as it should be like the trees. The battles also look more horrible. Pixelated (backsprites look straight like they could've come from Gen I) and many animations also look more worse.

Kingscr34m11

Hoenn Native
Pokebank news so far speaks against this- they've confirmed VC Red,Blue and Yellow can go forwards to Sun and Moon, not to XYORAS. Which suggests dIfferent data structure. XYORAS also has been confirmed to be able to transfer forwards to Sun and Moon- but there has been no mention of transferring back- which strongly indicates a new generation

I was speaking more in terms of specifically in game. Like bloodborne is it's own game and everything but uses so many of the exact same assests as the rest of the souls series giving it less of a distinct feeling.

I know that something has to have been improved on in the last three years but if SuMo doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from XYORAS it's still easy to see why people would call it 6.5.

I think of it in terms of the DS hardware releases. The DS lite was essentially DS.25 and the DSi was DS.5 where as finally the 3DS was the DS 2 and so on.

Apetoast

I was speaking more in terms of specifically in game. Like bloodborne is it's own game and everything but uses so many of the exact same assests as the rest of the souls series giving it less of a distinct feeling.

I know that something has to have been improved on in the last three years but if SuMo doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from XYORAS it's still easy to see why people would call it 6.5.

I think of it in terms of the DS hardware releases. The DS lite was essentially DS.25 and the DSi was DS.5 where as finally the 3DS was the DS 2 and so on.

At that point we could just call Gen 5 gen 4.5.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer

Given that 3D was such a huge jump from 2D sprites of the first 5 generations. I think SM will share similar resources with XYORAS like you said. The 3D battles are for the most part bug free, aside from potential new pokemon being added I think there won't be drastic differences in art and graphic style, but instead a refinement and tuning of what already exists (small visual glitches, placement of beam/projectile attacks in relation to the user).
Still, I would expect to see a few upgrades/changes- SM has obviously been in production for half of (if not more) of the 3DS's lifetime, so it will be using more of the 3DS's capability than XY was. Similar to D/P and B/W

Apetoast

So would that make gen 6 actually gen 5?

Which makes SuMo gen 5.5

Wait, we can go deeper. We could probably say that Gold/Silver was similar enough to be called gen 1.5

So now we are left with:

Red/Blue/Yellow - Gen 1
Gold/Silver/Crystal - gen 1.5
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - gen 2
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - gen 3
Black/White/Bw2 - Gen 3.5
X/Y - Gen 4
Sun/moon - gen 4.5

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Which makes SuMo gen 5.5

Wait, we can go deeper. We could probably say that Gold/Silver was similar enough to be called gen 1.5

So now we are left with:

Red/Blue/Yellow - Gen 1
Gold/Silver/Crystal - gen 1.5
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - gen 2
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - gen 3
Black/White/Bw2 - Gen 3.5
X/Y - Gen 4
Sun/moon - gen 4.5

Wow, this is getting pretty intense now.

Kingscr34m11

Hoenn Native
At that point we could just call Gen 5 gen 4.5.

Gen 5 had moving sprites and a starkly different artistic design to differentiate it from gen 4. SuMo can at least have a new overworld design at the bare minimum maybe new battle animations but those models aren't going anywhere yet. I'm expecting this to be a lot like gen 5 in that we get "better" graphics and new game mechanics while keeping everything about battling relatively unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.