• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 7 or 6.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Let's clear this up. Those of us that are saying Sun and Moon are Generation 7 (because they are) are not saying Kalos is out of the question for post-game or whatever. That's not what's being argued.

Gen 6.5= Same region/close region with some new Pokémon, same gen 6 engine/style, and an update/continuation of the XY story

Gen 7= New region, new Pokémon, new story, new style, new engine

This is why Gen 7 is what we have going on. Literally all of that is confirmed. There's no one saying Kalos won't be available in Sun and Moon (hell, I actually am really hoping for it), it's just that everything else about a new generation has been confirmed by official sources, and even some using the word "generation."

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
The argument regarding Sun and Moon being Generation 6.5 or 7 all started with the remaining two pentagon slots for the games, as most suspected that X/Y would be getting a sequel in order to hold light to many questions that are yet to be answered in series. The same argument can be discussed what the future of the games would be, as S/M are now holding the remaning spots. I, for one, thought Magiana reveal could be tied with the second-half of Kalos and finally releasing a sequel to solve the incompleteness of Generation 6 before moving on with Generation 7.

New Generation, World, Era, Pokémon, all indicates that it is Generation 7 in all honesty. We all know how GameFreak operates, so I wouldn't be surprised if no return to Kalos would be included in games. However, "Flowers" as an answer to the Pokémon's 2016 year and it being the 20th Anniversary leaves me with questions. All generations are being announced at some point, it doesn't have to be necessarily an anniversary. Hence, I'm a little bit more excited to see what we can expect from Sun and Moon.

Fennekin1

Honestly, I think this generation will be entirely its own thing. I doubt they're going to return to Kalos just to shove Zygarde in. The reality of things is is that Nintendo has been making some poor decisions with how it chooses to release new consoles and how they market them. The Wii U didn't do to great and instead of trying to salvage it by producing better titles that most consumers would be interested in they are essentially abandoning the system to roll out the NX. This would be viewed as extremely risky to investors since they messed up with their last console and is most likely upsetting investors. I believe Nintendo moving on to a entirely new gen serves two purposes:

1. Nintendo would obviously want to do something big for Pokemon's 20th anniversary. A whole new gen is pretty big.

2. Since Nintendo has been making some pretty poor decisions as of late it would be in the companies best interest to do something big and less risky to please investors. The main title launches to new Pokemon generations are one of, if not the biggest, money makers for Nintendo.

The launch games to a new generations simply make more money and sell more units than the updated third versions. The company most likely scrapped whatever it had planned for gen 6's updated version to put more effort into gen 7 because of the two reasons I stated above. I realize that some of you are disappointed that Nintendo is most likely not going to follow through with an updated version or Zygarde, but the reality is is that Nintendo is a business first and foremost. They basically took an opportunity cost by ditching Zygarde and a gen 6 update to sell an improved gen 7 to make more profits.

If we're lucky Nintendo may still release DLC for the Zygarde forms possibly at the end of summer or beginning of fall as a final farewell to gen 6.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The argument regarding Sun and Moon being Generation 6.5 or 7 all started with the remaining two pentagon slots for the games, as most suspected that X/Y would be getting a sequel in order to hold light to many questions that are yet to be answered in series. The same argument can be discussed what the future of the games would be, as S/M are now holding the remaning spots. I, for one, thought Magiana reveal could be tied with the second-half of Kalos and finally releasing a sequel to solve the incompleteness of Generation 6 before moving on with Generation 7.

New Generation, World, Era, Pokémon, all indicates that it is Generation 7 in all honesty. We all know how GameFreak operates, so I wouldn't be surprised if no return to Kalos would be included in games. However, "Flowers" as an answer to the Pokémon's 2016 year and it being the 20th Anniversary leaves me with questions. All generations are being announced at some point, it doesn't have to be necessarily an anniversary. Hence, I'm a little bit more excited to see what we can expect from Sun and Moon.

The flowers could likely tie into hawaii. Hawaii is obviously synonymous with flowers for one, so that would make a lot of sense.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I'd say gen 7 considering during the Direct only the 'Main games' were shown. Red&Green, Gold&Silver, Ruby&Sapphire, Diamond&Pearl, Black&White, and X&Y. . Of course this doesn't prove anything but it is heavily implied that it is indeed a new Generation. Also, regarding loose ends about mega evolution and Zygarde: 7th gen can continue story lines just as gen 2 continued gen 1 storylines.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I am going to allow myself and say I am confident this is the seventh generation of Pokémon. Everything points to it, no need to argue.

But the thing is, it doesn't solve our problems with XY: where did Zygarde's moves and forms go ? Eternal Floette ? The train station ? A lot of things we got to expect due to in-game story or the anime, simply not getting the... "closure" they deserve.
It's really odd. Unless maybe this new region is connected to Kalos in some way that would allow us to conclude what XY started, which I don't see happening honestly.

I wonder if they just scrapped XY. They seemed really eager about it though, I don't see them just leave it unfinished...

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before, but just putting this here again

I think the colors match with the XY and Sun Moon logos. And it can't just be a coincidence.

So 6.5 or 7 the new storyline should have strong ties with Zygarde IMO.

Which could also explain why they decided against making third title(s) and moved on.

Supersonicbro

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before, but just putting this here again

I think the colors match with the XY and Sun Moon logos. And it can't just be a coincidence.

So 6.5 or 7 the new storyline should have strong ties with Zygarde IMO.

Which could also explain why they decided against making third title(s) and moved on.

The thing is, nobody who's saying Gen 7 is saying they can't have ties to Kalos or Zygarde. It can easily be like Gen 2 and be somewhere close and let us visit there afterwards. But just like gen 2, it is a new gen.

I also wonder if serebii is gonna have an official statement when they decide it's a new gen...

Mokepon22

I am going to allow myself and say I am confident this is the seventh generation of Pokémon. Everything points to it, no need to argue.

But the thing is, it doesn't solve our problems with XY: where did Zygarde's moves and forms go ? Eternal Floette ? The train station ? A lot of things we got to expect due to in-game story or the anime, simply not getting the... "closure" they deserve.
It's really odd. Unless maybe this new region is connected to Kalos in some way that would allow us to conclude what XY started, which I don't see happening honestly.

I wonder if they just scrapped XY. They seemed really eager about it though, I don't see them just leave it unfinished...

They can't scrap XY. Imagine yourself as a content creator, movie director, story writer, etc. How would you feel if you wrote a book or screenplay about something you deeply cared about, even setting up for a follow-up and just left it there and moved on to another project? That wouldn't make any sense unless you really didn't care about the project in the first place. Pokemon is something Masuda & GF obviously cares about so why would they put in so much time & effort into researching locations, programming 3D models, researching various mythology to create and base legendaries off and various other things to base new Pokemon off, to just skip to the next generation and act like the previous generation didn't matter?

These games were announced yesterday, development on them should take the usual 2 years since we're getting new Pokemon and region. So if they were planning on skipping Zygarde 2 years ago then why all the Z hype late last year?

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

They can't scrap XY. Imagine yourself as a content creator, movie director, story writer, etc. How would you feel if you wrote a book or screenplay about something you deeply cared about, even setting up for a follow-up and just left it there and moved on to another project? That wouldn't make any sense unless you really didn't care about the project in the first place. Pokemon is something Masuda & GF obviously cares about so why would they put in so much time & effort into researching locations, programming 3D models, researching various mythology to create and base legendaries off and various other things to base new Pokemon off, to just skip to the next generation and act like the previous generation didn't matter?

These games were announced yesterday, development on them should take the usual 2 years since we're getting new Pokemon and region. So if they were planning on skipping Zygarde 2 years ago then why all the Z hype late last year?

Eh I don't think they scrapped the entire story, probably just a special download for zygarde with the moves and the floette randomly and decided not to do it.

Once again, just because it's a new gen, it doesn't mean that these things will be "scrapped".

seventhsword

I think they might have gen VI and gen VII over lap because of the loose ends in Kalos, the fact that Zyguarde got new formes but not its own game,

I mean, Sun and Moon was released in as pair which coincides will all new main series games. Going with BW2 route would mean same theme naming which isn't the case
not necessarily they may be going with Sun and Moon because people did complain about BW2's names being unimaginative, so they may just be trying to avoid that

Last edited:
If we're lucky Nintendo may still release DLC for the Zygarde forms possibly at the end of summer or beginning of fall as a final farewell to gen 6.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it said that there wasn't going to be any DLC like this for these games, since Gamdefreak wanted to release the games as 'complete packages' (I think that was the phrase that was used...)?

Also, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier about whether this is gen 7 or 6.5: My personal guess is that it's gen 7, but I would be fine if it turns out to be a gen 6.5 deal. At this point in time, I'm just waiting (and hoping) for more info to get released that will get us closer to solving the mystery once and for all

Also, I don't understand why people are so apt to ignoring that Black 2 and White 2 were the first games to break the tradition of a third version with having sequels instead

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
DLC is definitely a no-go. Masuda (I think it was him, at least) said in an interview around the time XY launched that he was opposed to the idea.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Also, I don't understand why people are so apt to ignoring that Black 2 and White 2 were the first games to break the tradition of a third version with having sequels instead

I keep saying that! Sun and Zmoon COULD be sequels to XY but still be Gen VI.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it said that there wasn't going to be any DLC like this for these games, since Gamdefreak wanted to release the games as 'complete packages' (I think that was the phrase that was used...)?

Also, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier about whether this is gen 7 or 6.5: My personal guess is that it's gen 7, but I would be fine if it turns out to be a gen 6.5 deal. At this point in time, I'm just waiting (and hoping) for more info to get released that will get us closer to solving the mystery once and for all

Masuda himself specifically said that there will not be direct sequels to xy at all, but he will tie loose ends together in a unique way. This makes me think it most likely will be like a delta z episode for post game or something like that. Sun and moon are not 6 or 6.5 or whatever though, threy are gen 7.

Coller23

Aggron Extraordinair
I keep saying that! Sun and Zmoon COULD be sequels to XY but still be Gen VI.

Except they were blatant sequels. If Gamefreak wanted to get the point across that these are sequels, they would've just called them X 2 and Y 2

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
So what? Are they the new seventh gen games? I am confused. I thought that wasn't due out till 2018?

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Except they were blatant sequels. If Gamefreak wanted to get the point across that these are sequels, they would've just called them X 2 and Y 2

They could always pull a Johto.

Seriously, if people agreed on this middle ground it would end this incessant stubburnness.

Johto was a new gen.

You got to revisit Kanto.

It was a win-win of sorts kind of since Kanto was a shell of its former self.

But thats not the point, Game Freak could have Zygarde in the Kalos we "revisit".

Also look at the thematic motifs between Sun/Moon and Gold/Silver.

GS introduced the day and night cycle.

Time based evolutions with Espeon only evolving during the day and Umbreon during the night.

Sun stone evolutions.

Ho-oh is is the rainbow pokemon and is associated with clear sunny skies.

Lugia is the diving pokemon and it is associated with the sea. It is the guardian of the sea, it controls the tides very much like the moon.

Look at their colors.

Ho-oh is an reddish orange and Lugia is a silverish gray or grayish silver, same difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.