• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 7's VC's Gen 2 Cross-Gen Evolution Legality Checker Glitch (Needs to be fixed before Gen 8)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Generation 7's Virtual Console Gen 2 Cross-Generational Evolution Legality Checker Glitch. (Very Serious Glitch that needs to be fixed before Generation 8 arrives.)

Man that was a mouthful. So a while back I posted a thread seeking help on a glitch I found that seemed to get no attention. That Pokemon transferred from the Generation 2 of Virtual Console games and evolved in there cross-gen evolutions are checked as illegals, banning them from free battles. To this day, it still hasn't been fixed and I fear if it continues, this glitch will be affect the 8th generation of online multiplayer or worst, such Pokemon cannot be carried to 8th gen at all if Pokemon Bank checks the VC Gen 2 Pokemon as illegal.

On a different note, this has actually happened before in Gen 1 and was fixed in a short time. In the bulbapedia page listing glitches for Generation 7, it's listed that Generation 1 Pokemon that evolve into there cross-gen evolutions were banned from all areas of online multiplayer and trading until it was fixed in short time.

The big difference between Generation 1 and Generation 2's VC problem is that the glitch of Gen 2 VC Pokemon evolving into there cross-gen evolutions for online functionality has barely got any attention and as of this thread's creation, hasn't been fixed for 6 months. I have checked this time and time again, and what Bulbapedia says is true. You can evolve your Gen 1 VC Pokemon to it's cross-gen evolution forms without worries and enter them into free battles and trade. This cannot be said for Gen 2's VC, whose glitch is not even listed on the Bulbapedia page of glitches. I've googled this issue multiple time and it seems this glitch isn't getting any attention at all. I'm surprised actually. You think a major glitch like this would be reported in a few days after Gen 2's Pokemon Bank access but no. For some reason, it's gone unnoticed by many.

After GameFreak fixed a number of serious glitches in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon through a patch, I believe this is the next serious glitch that should be fixed as soon as possible before Gen 8 hits. Other than hoping this will be fixed, what do you think of the issue and is there any other serious glitches you think needs to be patched up quickly as possible?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Have you actually told GameFreak and TPC about this? They don't read this forum. I mean, if it's not talked about widespread on the internet they might not be aware of it.

shoz999

Have you actually told GameFreak and TPC about this? They don't read this forum. I mean, if it's not talked about widespread on the internet they might not be aware of it.
I tried looking for GameFreak support but they don't have one. The Pokemon Company idea though, haven't done that one. I'll try it. I wasn't thinking that GameFreak will take a look at this but was thinking of spreading the word since Japanese companies don't really listen to there fanbase until issues are raised across the internet.

Okay. I've typed in the complaint! Now I play the waiting game to see how awesome or terrible the support is.

Got a response...

Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support! 

For any of the following, you will need to contact Nintendo Support:
- Technical issues with any of video games on Nintendo Consoles (This includes Pokemon Bank and Shuffle on the 3DS)
- Technical or hardware issues with any of the Nintendo Consoles
- Nintendo Network distributions
- Any Wi-Fi connection issues or any associated error codes you have received.

Let's see how Nintendo Support fares.

Last edited by a moderator:

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
Nintendo support won't help either. I called them over the Odd Eggs not transferring with the move Dizzy Punch, and the guy didn't know what I meant, and then when I got a manager he told me that any problems with the transfer service would have to be raised with the Pokemon Company as Nintendo itself has little to no control over glitches in the transfer service. It's infuriating that Pokemon Support redirects you to Nintendo, as Nintendo redirects you to Pokemon Support...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I just want to be clear before I start trying to transfer anything. Are we talking specifically pokemon captured in Gold/Silver for the virtual console? Or just generation 2 pokemon? IE, I can evolve magikarp but not spinarak? I mean, either way it needs to be fixed, but it would be nice to at least use my shiny Gyarados.

He's talking about pokémon from the gen 2 consoles (Gold/Silver/Crystal) which were transferred and then evolved into a species that didn't exist in gen 2. For example Misdreavus (Mismagius didn't exist in gen 2), Togetic, Sneasel, Murkrow. Apparently the system thinks that because Mismagius didn't exist in gen 2 and this pokémon is registered as originated from the VCs it thinks it's hacked. It's just an oversight that they didn't consider pokémon evolving after transfer.

Essentially, you get your Misdreavus from the VCs with the Gameboy symbol into Alola, you get a Dusk Stone in Alola to evolve it, and then it's a Mismagius, still with the Gameboy symbol. The hack-checking system then sees a Mismagius from gen 2 and think "Hey, Mismagius didn't exist back then, it's hacked" so they block it.

shoz999

Triple Posting
I just want to be clear before I start trying to transfer anything. Are we talking specifically pokemon captured in Gold/Silver for the virtual console? Or just generation 2 pokemon? IE, I can evolve magikarp but not spinarak? I mean, either way it needs to be fixed, but it would be nice to at least use my shiny Gyarados.
Pokemon from the Generation 2 Line of Virtual Console Games. You can evolve spinarak or magikarp from the Generation 2 VC games but if you evolve a Pokemon from those games into a Cross-Gen evolution, a Pokemon from a future generation like Misdreavus to Mismagius, it will be deemed illegal in Pokemon's online functionality by the legal checker.

I know that GameFreak will probably never look at the Serebii website but doesn't Serebii itself post any serious glitches on the main news page, thus help spread the word of this to other people and might reach GameFreak's ears like other glitches have?

Last edited by a moderator:

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Pokemon from the Generation 2 Line of Virtual Console Games. You can evolve spinarak or magikarp from the Generation 2 VC games but if you evolve a Pokemon from those games into a Cross-Gen evolution, a Pokemon from a future generation like Misdreavus to Mismagius, it will be deemed illegal in Pokemon's online functionality by the legal checker.

I know that GameFreak will probably never look at the Serebii website but doesn't Serebii itself post any serious glitches on the main news page, thus help spread the word of this to other people and might reach GameFreak's ears like other glitches have?
Awesome, thank you for clarifying. I see the post above used a similar example. Yes, hopefully Serebii will point this out in their news page so that the pokemon with the console picture can be cleared; especially since they fixed it with gen 1 issues.