1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gen 8 Competitive Meta

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Archer Steele, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archer Steele

Archer Steele Member

Given we know that there will be a limited array of Pokemon, as well as no mega evolution and no z-moves, how do we expect the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield singles meta to behave?

I for one hope dynamaxing isn't in wifi battles, but if it is, all we know about it leads me to think it won't add diversity to the meta and will only make strong Pokemon even stronger.

As for Pokemon, I doubt we'll get many legendaries at all so Ubers may be sparse, having only Mewtwo and the new legendaries from this game.

In OU, no Landorus will be huge, as well as no Mega Alakazam, Charizard, Diancie, Lopunny, Mawile, Medicham, Pinsir, Scizor, Swampert, or Tyranitar. The over all power level will likely drop. Current confirmed Pokemon like Tyranitar might be at the peak of OU. Other confirmed pokemon like Weavile, Gardevoir, Diggersby, Arcanine, Gyrarados, Gengar, and Hydriegon will likely rise. To counter many of these I also expect Hippowdon and bulky water-types to rise, such as Milotic, Vaporeon, Mantine, etc.
    Of course there will be new Pokemon likely to make OU as well.
    Additionally if Ferrothorn and Toxapex are in this game, they may be banned as the power level of wall breakers will be sustantially lower.
    Additionally with Hippowdon and Tyranitar in the game, if Excadrill is in the game he may be banned as he was in gen 5, with no Landorus to stop him.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

2. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

It's far too early to make any sort of useful speculation as we have no idea which Pokemon are and are not going to be present, nor do we know how the slough of new Pokemon being introduced will affect the metagame. I don't even think this is even a topic worth pursuing until we get more information as everything we say right now is 100% conjecture and speculation and unlikely to be at all relevant when the games are released.

3. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

This. At least wait until we see all the new Pokemon added, movepool changes, etc. This topic is premature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.