• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Funbro & Infinite Battles?

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Okay I really had fun using Funbro back in Gen 6 and 7. Of course, I just had fun with it with friends. Not...that I'd use it on unsuspecting online persons looking for a random fight they can bully in and brag about their 6 legendaries...of course not...

For those unfamiliar Funbro is a tanky Slowbro with the following moves:
-Heal Pulse
-Recycle
-Slack Off
-Block
Item: Leppa Berry

It will lock in a target with low PP moves or are nearly exhausted with their moves (Pressure Pokémon helps with that) and then Funbro comes in, Blocks the target from escaping, waits for it to struggle, then continue using Heal Pulse and Slack Off to heal itself and the target, using Recycle to get back the Leppa Berry when it is consumed to restore PP. Of course the only way to end the game then is by conceding, and usually I'm the one that does it after my mates and I have a laugh.

But sometimes it's that Reshiram user who used a Draco Meteor and kept playing in and then he realizes he can't switch out after from the Funbro, and you know his face is in agony with the 5 other legendary Pokémon he can't use to steam roll your team now! But. Anyway. Using it on unsuspecting...players...it's not very nice. At all

Sorry for the long back story. Has anybody ever used such strategies in Gen 8, where you are able to place the battle in an endless loop? Are there other conditions or situations where endless loops might happen?

Not that...I'm interested in actually doing these things. No, not at all.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't understand the point of doing things like this. Do people actually find locking other people into endless battles (locking themselves into the same battle in the process) entertaining? Instead of wasting both your time and your opponents, find other ways to punish them spamming legendaries. Like I've said in other posts, people who use full teams of legends tend to be using them as a crutch, so experienced players can usually easily overwhelm them with non-legendary teams without resorting to stuff like FunBro.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
1. It's fun to theorycraft. Pushing what can be done with Pokémon like a nice puzzle can be satisfying in itself, and can also make you think of moves that can be used in certain ways, and pushing the boundaries of what can be legally done.

2.Thinking in such ways can have practical applications. I'm willing to bet that it's the same kind of knots that brought about the Skill Swap-Harvest-Leppa Berry Exeggcute so that shiny or legendaries (or both) won't knock themself out from PP outage when you're trying to catch them in a Beast Ball or somesuch.

Who knows, even GameFreak might resolve such issues themselves, such as allowing Shadow Tag to not affect each other. They can, say, put a limit on how much an item can be Recycled. (Although I'm not betting on that, but who knows).

3. It is a learning experience. The reason for this post is if anybody knows or has encountered such similar conditions for a potential endless loop, and what brought about it. We're talking like Funbro is a sure thing. It's not, and when me and my friends play with it (or them), we're doing these convoluted switch outs and escapes trying to outguess one another. Slowbro is tough, but not THAT tough, especially if it's not a Regenerator. Putting it out too early or in the wrong condition can lead it to be being knocked out itself.

And finally, no, I'm not advocating it's use. At all. Especially against unsuspecting opponents. Nor do I suggest using a physically bulky Umbreon with Charm, Mean Look, Moonlight and Baton Pass to partner with it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
1. It's fun to theorycraft. Pushing what can be done with Pokémon like a nice puzzle can be satisfying in itself, and can also make you think of moves that can be used in certain ways, and pushing the boundaries of what can be legally done.

Oh, sure, but there's far more productive things to theorycraft about than ways to waste your time as well as your opponent's for no real reason at all. This is just trolling, and not even a particularly amusing form of it at that.

2.Thinking in such ways can have practical applications. I'm willing to bet that it's the same kind of knots that brought about the Skill Swap-Harvest-Leppa Berry Exeggcute so that shiny or legendaries (or both) won't knock themself out from PP outage when you're trying to catch them in a Beast Ball or somesuch.

Maybe, but that's a completely different application of the same principle. It's like using a blowtorch for welding versus using a blowtorch to torture someone. My issue is less with FunBro as a specific set and more with the concept of trying to force endless battles in general (there are plenty of other ways to do it; FunBro is just arguably the most well-known and notorious, as well as probably the easiest to use as the missplays your opponent needs to make for it to work are rather common, whereas other methods require very specific circumstances).

3. It is a learning experience. The reason for this post is if anybody knows or has encountered such similar conditions for a potential endless loop, and what brought about it. We're talking like Funbro is a sure thing. It's not, and when me and my friends play with it (or them), we're doing these convoluted switch outs and escapes trying to outguess one another. Slowbro is tough, but not THAT tough, especially if it's not a Regenerator. Putting it out too early or in the wrong condition can lead it to be being knocked out itself.

And finally, no, I'm not advocating it's use. At all. Especially against unsuspecting opponents. Nor do I suggest using a physically bulky Umbreon with Charm, Mean Look, Moonlight and Baton Pass to partner with it.

Yeah, let's be honest though. This isn't a "PSA: FunBro exists, watch out for it" thread, you specifically mentioned punishing people who use legendaries in your OP. And no, we aren't talking about FunBro like it's a sure thing, or at least I'm not. A lot of opponents aren't going to fall for it, but if you keep fishing eventually you're going to reel one in who doesn't know what you're up to, or thinks you're using a more conventional Slowbro set and makes a missplay because of it that allows you to set FunBro up.

I just don't see what enjoyment you get out of it. I love a good troll as much as the next guy, but sitting in the same battle for half an hour plus looping the same 3 moves is not my idea of fun, my opponent's misery disregarded.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Oh, sure, but there's far more productive things to theorycraft about than ways to waste your time as well as your opponent's for no real reason at all. This is just trolling, and not even a particularly amusing form of it at that.

Maybe, but that's a completely different application of the same principle. It's like using a blowtorch for welding versus using a blowtorch to torture someone. My issue is less with FunBro as a specific set and more with the concept of trying to force endless battles in general (there are plenty of other ways to do it; FunBro is just arguably the most well-known and notorious, as well as probably the easiest to use as the missplays your opponent needs to make for it to work are rather common, whereas other methods require very specific circumstances).

Yeah, let's be honest though. This isn't a "PSA: FunBro exists, watch out for it" thread, you specifically mentioned punishing people who use legendaries in your OP. And no, we aren't talking about FunBro like it's a sure thing, or at least I'm not. A lot of opponents aren't going to fall for it, but if you keep fishing eventually you're going to reel one in who doesn't know what you're up to, or thinks you're using a more conventional Slowbro set and makes a missplay because of it that allows you to set FunBro up.

I just don't see what enjoyment you get out of it. I love a good troll as much as the next guy, but sitting in the same battle for half an hour plus looping the same 3 moves is not my idea of fun, my opponent's misery disregarded.

No, I mentioned one way it can be used. And honestly, as you and I have mentioned that's a really situational condition and bringing about the state where you can come that point, or recognizing when that happens is the fun of it. It's like executing a well done FEAR or being able to counter a hacked Sturdy Shedinja: being able to do it is a gimmick, but it is really fun to be able to pull it off.

I get it, it's not your cup of tea. Some people want to win, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's some people who want to see how to crack things like a puzzle.

It seems that you have latched on the part of my post where I mentioned how I was able to pull it of one (memorable for me) time, but you're completely missing the point of my post. It was an example of infinite battle, just like Gen 1's double Ditto or Gen 2's double Wobuffet. The point of the anecdote is that IT CAN HAPPEN, and that it was example of how it can. The point of this thread is to explore other ways it might happen in this generation, what can be gleaned from them, and possibly discuss how they might be rectified.

I never mentioned it was a sound strategy or that it will win battles, which seems to be your focus. I agree with everything that you mentioned. It just so happens that I want to hopefully discuss such endless loop situations. If you're not having fun with that, well you're free to enjoy the game however you want to; me and this post won't change that.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
No, I mentioned one way it can be used. And honestly, as you and I have mentioned that's a really situational condition and bringing about the state where you can come that point, or recognizing when that happens is the fun of it. It's like executing a well done FEAR or being able to counter a hacked Sturdy Shedinja: being able to do it is a gimmick, but it is really fun to be able to pull it off.

I get it, it's not your cup of tea. Some people want to win, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's some people who want to see how to crack things like a puzzle.

It seems that you have latched on the part of my post where I mentioned how I was able to pull it of one (memorable for me) time, but you're completely missing the point of my post. It was an example of infinite battle, just like Gen 1's double Ditto or Gen 2's double Wobuffet. The point of the anecdote is that IT CAN HAPPEN, and that it was example of how it can. The point of this thread is to explore other ways it might happen in this generation, what can be gleaned from them, and possibly discuss how they might be rectified.

I never mentioned it was a sound strategy or that it will win battles, which seems to be your focus. I agree with everything that you mentioned. It just so happens that I want to hopefully discuss such endless loop situations. If you're not having fun with that, well you're free to enjoy the game however you want to; me and this post won't change that.

No, you're entirely misunderstanding me. It's not that FunBro isn't a viable strategy (it isn't, but that's beside the point), it's that the entire purpose of FunBro is to waste as much of the opponent's time as possible (and yours in the process) in a battle where neither party actually wins until the other gets bored and forfeits. At least something like FEAR actually nets you a win if you manage to pull it off. What do you get if you successfully trap something with FunBro? Stuck in an endless loop until the game forcibly concludes the battle.

That's not even mentioning the bad sportsmanship of doing things like this to your opponents, which given the overall attitude present in your post doesn't really seem to be a huge concern to you. The whole point of FunBro is to make the match as unfun as possible for your opponent, hence the ironic name. Seems a bit toxic if you ask me.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
No, you're entirely misunderstanding me. It's not that FunBro isn't a viable strategy (it isn't, but that's beside the point), it's that the entire purpose of FunBro is to waste as much of the opponent's time as possible (and yours in the process) in a battle where neither party actually wins until the other gets bored and forfeits. At least something like FEAR actually nets you a win if you manage to pull it off. What do you get if you successfully trap something with FunBro? Stuck in an endless loop until the game forcibly concludes the battle.

That's not even mentioning the bad sportsmanship of doing things like this to your opponents, which given the overall attitude present in your post doesn't really seem to be a huge concern to you. The whole point of FunBro is to make the match as unfun as possible for your opponent, hence the ironic name. Seems a bit toxic if you ask me.
Your outrage over its implications are noted. This not the only lock in that has happened in this game and it probably won't be the last, and while I do understand your concerns over the detriment of it's application, it would be far more beneficial to discuss them rather than sweep them under the rug.

Part of anything with mechanics is that there will be unintended results. And while you and many others see no point, I, and possibly some others in this forum, may find the case and cause for an infinite loop to be interesting.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't understand the point of doing things like this. Do people actually find locking other people into endless battles (locking themselves into the same battle in the process) entertaining? Instead of wasting both your time and your opponents, find other ways to punish them spamming legendaries. Like I've said in other posts, people who use full teams of legends tend to be using them as a crutch, so experienced players can usually easily overwhelm them with non-legendary teams without resorting to stuff like FunBro.

Some people go to great, almost disturbing lengths to annoy other people. FunBro seems to be aimed at the sort of people who feel pleasure only in sucking it out of other people, and specifically those who like annoying others so much that they never tire of it. The appeal of FunBro is to give these people all the pleasure they want until the opponent gives up. That is, for the FunBro user, it's not a waste of time. They're having the times of their lives. It's a rollercoaster that ends only when the other side makes it end (at least in practice). They know they're locking themselves in, but they've locked an unwitting victim in with them.

Most people who try out FunBro will find they don't like it either, even most trolls, so they stop after one, at most two uses of it. It's really for the most niche of niche psychographics, the sociopaths who relish other people's helplessness and can't get enough of it.

Sword & Shield has means to prevent infinite loops from happening. Not only can one just surrender, but Generation VIII online battles all have a 15-minute timer in the total time elapsed (plus a timer between 30 and 60 seconds to make your move, depending on the mode). The latter is important in if FunBro actually comes up because once the timer runs out, the player with more Pokémon is immediately declared the winner, or if it's tied, the one with the greater average percentage of remaining HP among all of their Pokémon. (To my knowledge, Shedinja at 1 HP counts as 100%.) Sending out FunBro immediately is a death sentence under this rule because FunBro is incapable of dealing damage, whereas its HP is going to fluctuate but will rarely max out.