• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

DannyDark

Okay so I looked through the pages but couldn't find a designated thread for discussing potential Gym's and their types within the games? (If there is one and I missed it then just delete this thread.)

Either way..

I do think that, while Gym's are confirmed to be returning, they will not be in the usual 8-gym structure.
As marked on the below map.. there are 5 gym-like, stadium-like structures in distinct areas that could possibly denote their type. These are Grass, Water, Ground/Rock, Ice and Fairy. Then, in the northernmost area, we have Wembley Stadium, this region's possible Pokemon League, which would be mixed typing as always.

So there's my thoughts, how about you guys?

(May need to use a bigger map for reference as I've made the image smaller and spoilered it to, hopefully, adhere to the forum rules.)

galar-1.jpg

axelme

based on what i saw i would agree with your typing except i think the gym you've labeled as grass is bug and the mixed gym will be grass. there's a giant flower . to be that either indicates the return of contests or grass. there will also more than likely be dragon and steel type gyms. im hoping for our first dark gym but im also not optimistic

D*N

Musical Star
based on what i saw i would agree with your typing except i think the gym you've labeled as grass is bug and the mixed gym will be grass. there's a giant flower . to be that either indicates the return of contests or grass. there will also more than likely be dragon and steel type gyms. im hoping for our first dark gym but im also not optimistic
The grass one is basically confirmed though since we saw it in the trailer.

There could still be two gyms hiding in the other two big cities, which could make a total of 8. The industrial city would be a steel type gym and the other one a dragon type gym I guess.

Orphalesion

Pretty exited for the Fairy Gym in the creepy-cool enchanted forest and the glowy-glowy giant mushrooms.

And isn't the "mixed" one the Pokemon League?

The grass one is basically confirmed though since we saw it in the trailer.

There could still be two gyms hiding in the other two big cities, which could make a total of 8. The industrial city would be a steel type gym and the other one a dragon type gym I guess.

At which point is grass confirmed in the trailer?

And yeah, defenitely still some in the cities.

KalosChampion

I know these places look like gyms but are we 100% sure that’s what they are? I hope they are in fact gyms but I guess they may not be.

Orphalesion

Just the thing with the giant leaf on it haha. Pretty sure this is a grass type gym.

:DLol. Sometimes I can be super blind. Thanks for pointing it out. I was so focused on the soccer stadium n the end and was like "how does soccer equal grass?" hahaha.

Reactions: D*N

Shiiiiiii

Layer Cake
I think that we will be able to beat gyms without any particular order but to progress we will have to go to towers and do or get something particular. What makes me so confident is one thing they said: "New entry to Pokemon series will be like Breath of the Wild for TLoZ series".

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
All I know is that there better be a Dark type Gym. It's been too long!

Shadowclaw191

I think the top left building on the map... the purple building might be a poison gym. Havent had that in a while, or Ghost.

Honestly if its a ghost gym it would mean a new ghost type pokemon so yes.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I think the gyms will be
Grass
Water
Ice
Electric
Rock or Ground
Fairy
Steel
Dragon
Would love to see what the gyms are like. I think the soccer place is a minigame type deal.

Shadowclaw191

I think the gyms will be
Grass
Water
Ice
Electric
Rock or Ground
Fairy
Steel
Dragon
Would love to see what the gyms are like. I think the soccer place is a minigame type deal.

Someone pointed out maybe it'll be a new mechanic like Z auras, but instead it's cheer aura. When youre losing the crowd cheers you on to give your pokemon special stats, and vice versa.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Cool!

axelme

I think the gyms will be
Grass
Water
Ice
Electric
Rock or Ground
Fairy
Steel
Dragon

perhaps something like an athletic event. in my fanfiction i toy with the idea of pokethlon. it's basically take the idea of the heptathlon and apply it to pokemon. each would be a series of events with points added up to determine winner. you have swimming, springing, high jump, climbing and throwing in my version each reguires a different pokemon set with a different skill in each catgory.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
I just created something like this because I scoured the forum and couldn't find something. I'm blind haha. Here's my ideas.

Based on the trailer it looks like we are getting a Grass type gym and then from what I can see from the map the other five buildings might be:

-Mushroom Village - Fairy or Poison? Although the color of the symbol on front is kind of gray and black so maybe Dark or Ghost. Maybe dual typing with Normal?
-Farm Town - Grass (Saw this in the trailer)
-Snow Mountain - Ice
-Harbor Town - Water
-Town by Diglett Wall - Ground/Rock
-First walled city - Steel
-Dragon walled city - Dragon
-I'm having trouble placing where the 8th gym could be. The pink stadium like structure at the top looks like it could just be a giant Pokemon Center.

The Elite Four I think is in the Tower with the spiral around it at the top of the map.

I'd like these for typings for Elite 4:
Electric
Flying
Normal
Poison
Champion - Psychic

As for new things I would like to see;

Limit size of challenging party to the same as the Gym Leader/E4 Member.
Scale levels based on your party's level
Each Gym Leader/E4 Member has a larger group of Pokemon that randomly get picked for each battle. Say 2/3 more than they use in battle so if they use 5 they'd have 7/8 to randomly pick from each time you battle them. I think this would be a great way to vary up the gym system.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
All I know is that there better be a Dark type Gym. It's been too long!

This!
If we get another Fairy(Ew) gym and no Dark once again, I'm going to be severely mad. Ridiculous how Dark's been around for 20 years and Fairy got one in it's first year!