• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My guess the reason for the stadium gyms are because trainer battles are an extremely popular spectator event in Galar and a Gym challenge is equivalent to an important game for a championship. The people in the stands are just battle enthusiasts.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
The more I look at the map, the more I’m convinced there’s a Gym in the London city. The normal symbol is literally right there on the Stadium. I also firmly think the League is in the big tower there as well; if so it’d be the first city to have both a Gym and the League. I like that actually?? It gives it a really ‘definitive’ feel, like you’re facing a real final challenge. I’m expecting it to succeed both Lumiose and Castelia in size.

Grass/Water/Steel/Ground/Dark/Fairy/Dragon/Normal is what’s looking likely (maybe Poison for Fairy or both)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
My predictions are still Grass/Water/Steel/Rock/Poison/Ice/Dragon/Electric

Bus

They've been trying to different things as the generations go by. Last time, the gyms were actual 'trials' and now, we're in Stadiums. I'm thinking we may not necessarily have type themed Gyms (which is a shame since there was never a Dark gym). If we do, we may be restricted in what we can use; like "3 Pokemon teams; Water & Ice Pokemon only" to make it a bit different this time around. That would create a different kind of challenge for the gyms while still keeping the basic spirit of them intact. They could also do something like have a gym/stadium that was all about Speed so that different types of pokemon could be used, but all opponents would have speedier Pokemon at their disposal.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
They've been trying to different things as the generations go by. Last time, the gyms were actual 'trials' and now, we're in Stadiums. I'm thinking we may not necessarily have type themed Gyms (which is a shame since there was never a Dark gym). If we do, we may be restricted in what we can use; like "3 Pokemon teams; Water & Ice Pokemon only" to make it a bit different this time around. That would create a different kind of challenge for the gyms while still keeping the basic spirit of them intact. They could also do something like have a gym/stadium that was all about Speed so that different types of pokemon could be used, but all opponents would have speedier Pokemon at their disposal.
I don't think that they would force players to exclusively use Pokemon of the gym's specialty type in a gym.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've never been too concerned about the lack of a Dark-type Gym in previous games, but I think it's overdue at this point. Galar's Gyms should go Normal > Ground > Flying > Fairy > Dark > Poison > Steel > Fire in my opinion.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So it just hit me. You know how in the trailer those stadiums looked like these giant facilities that can be reused more than once. Well just a hunch but what if these Pokemon Gyms could also function as these Battle Frontier-style facilities in post-game. That would literally give the "Gym" title more meaning and the 8th supposed Gym, the red/blue building just feels so conflicting compared to everything else. It would be very similar to Pokemon Colosseum and XD where you battled these bosses in these Colosseums but after that in post-game a few of these Colosseums can be accessed again at much higher levels in kind of like a tourney.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So it just hit me. You know how in the trailer those stadiums looked like these giant facilities that can be reused more than once. Well just a hunch but what if these Pokemon Gyms could also function as these Battle Frontier-style facilities in post-game. That would literally give the "Gym" title more meaning and the 8th supposed Gym, the red/blue building just feels so conflicting compared to everything else. It would be very similar to Pokemon Colosseum and XD where you battled these bosses in these Colosseums but after that in post-game a few of these Colosseums can be accessed again at much higher levels in kind of like a tourney.
You're talking about the wrong game. You may be referring to Battle Revolution. Also, Gym Leader rematches have been done before.

shoz999

You're talking about the wrong game. You may be referring to Battle Revolution. Also, Gym Leader rematches have been done before.
Not talking about Gym Leader rematches. I'm talking about Pokemon Gyms turning into Pokemon Battle Frontier-style facilities in post-game.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not talking about Gym Leader rematches. I'm talking about Pokemon Gyms turning into Pokemon Battle Frontier-style facilities in post-game.
That's never happened in the series before, and they usually have separate areas for a post game battle facility.

shoz999

That's never happened in the series before, and they usually have separate areas for a post game battle facility.
There's a first for everything. It's just a hunch though considering how off the 8th gym looks, like it's equipped for more than just gym battles.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I've mentioned this on a different thread but I believe that the gyms aren't limited to just the stadiums. I've noticed a few battlefields as well. So, to ease up the speculation, I made this:

W1v18YL.png

Thanks for doing this, it gives us a better view. I hope we will have more than 8 Gyms and battle 8 of them which we prefer, although I kinda doubt that.
My prediction:
1-Normal (or Flying)
2-Steel (or Fire, Fighting)
3-Grass
4-Water
5-Dragon
6-Rock (or Ground)
7-Fairy or Poison
8-Dark hopefully (or Ice)
9-I doubt that is a gym
10-Psychic or Fairy (kinda looks like a Pokemon Center)

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Thanks for doing this, it gives us a better view. I hope we will have more than 8 Gyms and battle 8 of them which we prefer, although I kinda doubt that.
My prediction:
1-Normal (or Flying)
3-Grass
4-Water
5-Dragon
6-Rock (or Ground)
7-Fairy or Poison
9-I doubt that is a gym
I think these are spot on.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
My prediction:
1-Normal (or Flying)
3-Grass
4-Water
5-Dragon
6-Rock (or Ground)
7-Fairy or Poison
9-I doubt that is a gym
I'm thinking that we're getting Electric instead of Normal or Flying, but I agree with most of this.