• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
Not talking about Gym Leader rematches. I'm talking about Pokemon Gyms turning into Pokemon Battle Frontier-style facilities in post-game.

Given the comments that Junichi Masuda made regarding the exclusion of the Battle Frontier in OR/AS, I doubt Game Freak would want to create Battle Frontier-like facilities in Shield and Sword, not even as upgraded Gyms.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Given the comments that Junichi Masuda made regarding the exclusion of the Battle Frontier in OR/AS, I doubt Game Freak would want to create Battle Frontier-like facilities in Shield and Sword, not even as upgraded Gyms.
And yet they brought the Battle Tree which is an All-Star upgraded Battle Tower, the Battle Royale with 1v1v1v1 matches and the Battle Agency which is pretty much the Battle Factory. I think Battle Frontier-like facilities are not as unlikely as it seems or at the very least a top-notch All-Stars Battle Tower.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And yet they brought the Battle Tree which is an All-Star upgraded Battle Tower, the Battle Royale with 1v1v1v1 matches and the Battle Agency which is pretty much the Battle Factory. I think Battle Frontier-like facilities are not as unlikely as it seems or at the very least a top-notch All-Stars Battle Tower.
They literally have post-game battle facilities in every game since Crystal (not counting LGPE). I don't think that the Battle Frontier will return, nor do I think that anything like it will return, not even as upgraded gyms.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
They literally have post-game battle facilities in every game since Crystal (not counting LGPE). I don't think that the Battle Frontier will return, nor do I think that anything like it will return, not even as upgraded gyms.
Fair enough but the idea does seem intriguing right?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm kind of upset that we're most likely getting Grass, Water, and Fire again because we just had those three in a row as trials in SM & USUM. Don't get me wrong, though, I am still excited to see the leaders and their Pokemon - I just wish we could have more variety.
It's not confirmed that we are getting Grass, Water, and Fire.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I actually like when we get all 3 starter types (4 if you include Electric)as Gyms

It's not confirmed that we are getting Grass, Water, and Fire.

I literally didn't say it was?? I specifically used the words "most likely" - not "confirmed" - for a reason. We're at least likely getting Water and Grass, and Fire wouldn't be hard to place either.

What is the point of forums if not to talk about the game - once again never stated the three gyms as absolutely happening - if comments like yours just shut down every opinion/comment/speculation/etc.? I understand stopping the spread of false information, but I literally stated in my post that it was "likely," not "confirmed," so what is the point?

I actually like when we get all 3 starter types (4 if you include Electric)as Gyms

Though I do love the types, I just prefer seeing some of the others as well, but I completely respect your opinion! I think we're in for a real treat with SWSH.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I literally didn't say it was?? I specifically used the words "most likely" - not "confirmed" - for a reason. We're at least likely getting Water and Grass, and Fire wouldn't be hard to place either.

What is the point of forums if not to talk about the game - once again never stated the three gyms as absolutely happening - if comments like yours just shut down every opinion/comment/speculation/etc.? I understand stopping the spread of false information, but I literally stated in my post that it was "likely," not "confirmed," so what is the point?

Though I do love the types, I just prefer seeing some of the others as well, but I completely respect your opinion! I think we're in for a real treat with SWSH.
Oh that’s what you mean? Definitely agree with your opinion

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
We've actually had a Water gym in every game apart from XY

While Fire and Grass have been used more sparingly. Went without Fire in Sinnoh and Kalos, Unova as well if you don't count the brothers... but Water actually has a gym of its own. And Grass skipped Hoenn and Unova
I think Water needs another break from having a gym, especially when types like Dark have STILL yet to obtain one or have only be used a few times.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
We've actually had a Water gym in every game apart from XY

While Fire and Grass have been used more sparingly. Went without Fire in Sinnoh and Kalos, Unova as well if you don't count the brothers... but Water actually has a gym of its own. And Grass skipped Hoenn and Unova
I think Water needs another break from having a gym, especially when types like Dark have STILL yet to obtain one or have only be used a few times.

I agree. I think having some more gym variety would help things a bit more. I think there's more than enough pokemon for fairy, dark, and steel types to use them more often. I'd love to see a fairy or even a poison type gym again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I agree. I think having some more gym variety would help things a bit more. I think there's more than enough pokemon for fairy, dark, and steel types to use them more often. I'd love to see a fairy or even a poison type gym again.
Definitely. Maybe have more mixed type Pokemon put in them so it won't be so much of a cake walk.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
My gym predictions
Grass, Water, Ground, Dark, Poison, Steel, Fire, and Flying.
I think the purple building near the beginning with the battle field would be a Flying or Normal gym. Would be one of our earliest gyms since Aspertia City. Unless it’s a trainers school.
The gym with the green symbol looks like a Flying gym. Looks like a green feather.
Elite 4
Electric, Fairy, Rock, and Bug.
Champion
Mixed type user, uses the starter with the advantage against yours (rival would use one weak against yours, but teach it moves that counter your starter’s final evolution’s secondary type).

Last edited:

JLK2707

I'd like an Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard) inspired Gym leader or elite 4 member, unlikely I know but not Impossible. Water, dark or steel type would make most sense. Town 4 (from Wulava's post) looks a little like Bristol and is around the right place if it is based on a flipped UK so his gym would probably be that one is such a character were to exist.

I'd also like an Electric type master as champion or Elite 4 member.

That would be just so cool!:)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
My predictions are still that the Gym types are Grass, Water, Steel, Poison, Rock, Ice, Dragon, and Electric.

bigdaddy95

The gym in the snowy area has a black logo on it so I’m guessing that’ll probably be a dark gym. Other than that, I’m speculating that we might get less than 8 gyms this generation based on what I see on the map. Then again, the very first Kalos map showed nothing so there’s a chance of the game having 8 gyms, but my prediction is 5-6. As for types I’d say they’re gonna be grass, water, ground, dark, and fairy (in the forest). The remaining 3 gyms could be in the steampunk city, the city with the dragon looking tower, as well as the gym-looking facility at the back with fire/steel and dragon being the types for the former two, respectively. I have no idea what type the one in the city at the back could be IF it’s a gym.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The gym in the snowy area has a black logo on it so I’m guessing that’ll probably be a dark gym. Other than that, I’m speculating that we might get less than 8 gyms this generation based on what I see on the map. Then again, the very first Kalos map showed nothing so there’s a chance of the game having 8 gyms, but my prediction is 5-6. As for types I’d say they’re gonna be grass, water, ground, dark, and fairy (in the forest). The remaining 3 gyms could be in the steampunk city, the city with the dragon looking tower, as well as the gym-looking facility at the back with fire/steel and dragon being the types for the former two, respectively. I have no idea what type the one in the city at the back could be IF it’s a gym.
However, that can also be Ice. It's in a cold area and Ice has been represented with the color black lately (such as Eevee's Freezy Frost in LGPE).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
However, that can also be Ice. It's in a cold area and Ice has been represented with the color black lately (such as Eevee's Freezy Frost in LGPE).
I'd be down with both, but considering it looks like one of the last gyms, it'd be nice to have a dark gym for it instead of ice as ice had been used for late gyms before. We've never had dark and it'd be neat to switch it up a bit than the typical ice in the ice city.