• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

ShadowForce720

Normally the sources are combinations of some other energy or matter (usually from a legendary pokemon) combined with human/pokemon energy or other matter. The "big stone" was an anime-only thing wasn't even fully explained there. In the games Mega Stone are theorized to be mutated evolution stones exposed to the power of the Ultimate Weapon 3,000 years ago (the power haivng come from many pokemon, but especially Yveltal/Xerneas), but where the stones enable the mega evolution, the power for it also comes from within the pokemon and the bond with the trainer (mega evolution is partly described as a pokemon releasing all its potential at once). Z-moves likewise have multi-faceted sources, the energy coming from the trainer and the Z-crystal, the Z-rings having come from pieces of Necrozma's body that it shed over the ages (if I recall right).

Actually if I recall right although it's true that Z-crystals and Z-power came from Necrozma it's not true that it was because it was shed pieces of it's body because that would imply that it was doing that naturally, no what was basically a case where Ultra Necrozma got attack by the ancestors of the Ultra Recon Squad who tried to control and in the process even though they didn't intend for it to happen they caused Necrozma to lose a part of itself which turned it into the husk that we see in Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.The missing part of it wound up being spread out and scattering through Ultra Space and effect the Alola region which got directly hit by it which caused the formation of Z-crystals along with pokemon and perhaps trainers and people absorbing the energy into their bodies allow the pokemon to use Z-moves.

Also some of the pokemon absorb so much Z-power that they became Totem Pokemon, while it seems like unexposed trainers and Ultra Beast wind up getting exposed to Z-power and absorb a large amount of it when they past through Ultra Space which is why all the Ultra Beast tend to have the ability Beast Boost, and from what it seems it seems like the Z-power also spread to part of their world effecting them even if they never enter Ultra Space.

So in the end this is why Necrozma always appears to be in so much pain, and anger and feels so much hunger when it's in the form that we see in Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon before it takes over Lunala, Solagaleo, or regains it's true form Ultra Necrozma.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
And when ultra necrozma becomes a thing, don’t all the z-crystals disappear and then z moves become impossible? I just don’t want something like that to happen for dynamaxing. But not sure what it could be really besides human intervention or something unexplainable, so I hope they explain it well.

ShadowForce720

And when ultra necrozma becomes a thing, don’t all the z-crystals disappear and then z moves become impossible? I just don’t want something like that to happen for dynamaxing. But not sure what it could be really besides human intervention or something unexplainable, so I hope they explain it well.

Actually Z-moves becoming impossible to use in the presence of Ultra Necrozma or not being as effective as they normally is so far an anime only thing as none of the other media has shown that to be a thing, and also so far none of the media has the Z-crystals disappeared when Necrozma becomes Ultra Necrozma.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m still hoping we’ll get a Dark type gym leader with that black stadium featured in the Galar map. We technically got one with Nanu, but I’d still love an official Dark type gym for this region!!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I’m still hoping we’ll get a Dark type gym leader with that black stadium featured in the Galar map. We technically got one with Nanu, but I’d still love an official Dark type gym for this region!!
I'm thinking that the Gym you're talking about might be an Ice-type Gym though.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm thinking that the Gym you're talking about might be an Ice-type Gym though.

Actually I don't think so, if you zoom into the gym, you can see it is completely black, white, and gray. I saw some speculation that the gym could be a Steel type and that makes some sense or it could be a dark type gym.

What I've seen with the gyms is that the four spikes that go into the sky on each gym indicate their specialty. The grass gym is green, the water gym is blue, the gym you're referencing is black, then there's the brown spikes on the gym near the Dugtrio statues, the purple spikes on the gym near the giant mushrooms town, and finally the red gym which is different then the others. There's also the stadium in the industrial city although that one is also different to the others so I can't tell what the type might be. There's also the dragon city which will likely be a gym.

Se I would argue the gym types are Grass, Water, Dark, Ground, Poison, I'm assuming a variety type gym, Industrial gym, and Dragon gym.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PreschoolerFromNowhere said:
I'm not sure about everyone else but i do like when Gym Leader use all brand new Pokemon in the team like in Black and White (which they don't have other choice anyway...) ... use old Pokemon along with new Pokemon in the team is fine but i would be more excited if i have to fight Pokemon i don't know much about... but i guess in this game they going to use old one but their ace will be the new one after all huh? at least if they won't Dynamax old Pokemon, i'm fine...

I also like it when Gym Leaders stick to using new Pokemon native to their home region than seeing them add older Pokemon to their teams. I feel like since these games aren't exactly a fresh start however, that we'll see the Gym Leaders use a mixture of new and old Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Actually I don't think so, if you zoom into the gym, you can see it is completely black, white, and gray. I saw some speculation that the gym could be a Steel type and that makes some sense or it could be a dark type gym.

What I've seen with the gyms is that the four spikes that go into the sky on each gym indicate their specialty. The grass gym is green, the water gym is blue, the gym you're referencing is black, then there's the brown spikes on the gym near the Dugtrio statues, the purple spikes on the gym near the giant mushrooms town, and finally the red gym which is different then the others. There's also the stadium in the industrial city although that one is also different to the others so I can't tell what the type might be. There's also the dragon city which will likely be a gym.

Se I would argue the gym types are Grass, Water, Dark, Ground, Poison, I'm assuming a variety type gym, Industrial gym, and Dragon gym.
I don't think that we're getting a mixed gym.

D*N

Musical Star
It definitely doesn't seem like an ice type gym if you zoom in. Either dark or steel would make more sense.

A mixed gym for the last one would be fun but doesn't seem likely. Though nothing has been confirmed yet so who knows!

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I don't think that we're getting a mixed gym.

The only reason I say mixed is because it doesn't look like the others and doesn't indicate any one type. And by mixed I don't mean like 3 different types or something, more like Blue back in the day where he's just a strong trainer with different types instead of focusing on just one.

That ring from the demo seems like it could fit way more than 8 badges inside. Is it possible there won't be an Elite Four and instead a bunch of extra gyms? Perhaps even in the same city (the northern one with all the landmarks)?
Great point. I found this image (in spoilers since it's pretty big) showing that there's definitely room for more than 8 of the new "Badges."
1560310881195.png

Although I'd love to have more than 8 Gyms, it's possible that the Badges just aren't all the same size (perhaps getting progressively bigger as the Gyms get more challenging), or we might get some sort of Badges from the E4 and Champ this time around (to fill in the middle).

Slightly off-topic, but I hope they go back to giving the Badges more creative English names, instead of just naming the Badge that Gym's type. After so many years of interesting choices (especially ones like Zephyr, Cobble, Fen), it was a bit of a bummer to see stuff like Bug Badge, Fairy Badge, and Psychic Badge in Kalos. There's still plenty of synonyms/related words out there for every type.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The only reason I say mixed is because it doesn't look like the others and doesn't indicate any one type. And by mixed I don't mean like 3 different types or something, more like Blue back in the day where he's just a strong trainer with different types instead of focusing on just one.
That building might not even be a Gym at all.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
That building might not even be a Gym at all.

But it has the gym stadium symbol and if it isn't a gym, idk where the 8th gym is.

Ver-mont

Slightly off-topic, but I hope they go back to giving the Badges more creative English names, instead of just naming the Badge that Gym's type. After so many years of interesting choices (especially ones like Zephyr, Cobble, Fen), it was a bit of a bummer to see stuff like Bug Badge, Fairy Badge, and Psychic Badge in Kalos. There's still plenty of synonyms/related words out there for every type.
Bug Badge and Psychic Badge are better in the Japanese version, since they're not the types' names (Mushi and Esper, respectively), but underwhelming in English -- the second case even more so, since they could've just switched the names and called it the Esper Badge.

Bug Badge and Psychic Badge are better in the Japanese version, since they're not the types' names (Mushi and Esper, respectively), but underwhelming in English -- the second case even more so, since they could've just switched the names and called it the Esper Badge.
**Nod** Great points! I appreciated that the localizers changed Fight Badge -> Rumble Badge, so I would've preferred it they'd done the same with the Bug, Fairy, and Psychic Badges too. (Either Wall or Cliff works for me, though).

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
The red building might instead be the league.

Well then again, we are missing a gym because I'm not sure where else it could be. Unless the tower or big Ben are the gyms, it doesn't work.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Also, they've only done a mixed Gym once, and that's only because the Gym Leader was an old rival (Blue). This is also Early Installment Weirdness because in BW2, they made another old rival (Cheren) a Gym Leader and they decided to give him a specialty type.