• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Since that ring has all blue on it, perhaps each gym will give you some sort of ring that you have to fill before getting to the gym. Maybe you get it from battling all the trainers in the gym. Not sure why they’d all be blue otherwise and the exact same.

Since that ring has all blue on it, perhaps each gym will give you some sort of ring that you have to fill before getting to the gym. Maybe you get it from battling all the trainers in the gym. Not sure why they’d all be blue otherwise and the exact same.
Are you referring to the image I posted on the previous page? Nessa only gives you one of those blue Badges in the demo (after you defeat her). Someone online edited the screenshot to show that more than 8 can fit inside the ring by duplicating Nessa's Badge (which supported the post I'd quoted about there possibly being more than 8 Badges). It's also possible that the other Badges simply aren't all the exact same size, though.

Last edited:

shadowF

I only see 7 gyms at the moment, the last building with the red and blue symbol seems to be where the Pokemon League is located (judging from Leon's battle entrance in the trailer). Anyone think we will get only 7 gyms this time? or the eight gym is being hidden from us?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I only see 7 gyms at the moment, the last building with the red and blue symbol seems to be where the Pokemon League is located (judging from Leon's battle entrance in the trailer). Anyone think we will get only 7 gyms this time? or the eight gym is being hidden from us?
The massive tower in the London city might be the 8th Gym. I think that it is anyways.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Looking at the map, though there is gym in the snow town, the gym is colored black instead of light blue. This gives me hope that we will finally have a Dark-type gym.

It's about time we got one. If we can have three Dark Elite Four members, we can have one Dark gym leader. Hell, none of the Dark Elite Four members were villains, and the one villain we had in the Elite Four used Fire pokemon. Give us our Dark gym, damn it!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Looking at the map, though there is gym in the snow town, the gym is colored black instead of light blue. This gives me hope that we will finally have a Dark-type gym.

It's about time we got one. If we can have three Dark Elite Four members, we can have one Dark gym leader. Hell, none of the Dark Elite Four members were villains, and the one villain we had in the Elite Four used Fire pokemon. Give us our Dark gym, damn it!
Ice has been associated with black recently, especially with Freezy Frost.

Orphalesion

Where do people even see 7 gyms? I can only make out 5: Grass, Water, Fairy, Ground, the one in the snow (and that red stadium in the city to the north)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Where do people even see 7 gyms? I can only make out 5: Grass, Water, Fairy, Ground, the one in the snow (and that red stadium in the city to the north)
There's also another Gym in the industrial city and the massive tower could also be a Gym. The red stadium might be the league, but the tower in the London based city could also be a Gym as well.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Are you referring to the image I posted on the previous page? Nessa only gives you one of those blue Badges in the demo (after you defeat her). Someone online edited the screenshot to show that more than 8 can fit inside the ring by duplicating Nessa's Badge (which supported the post I'd quoted about there possibly being more than 8 Badges). It's also possible that the other Badges simply aren't all the exact same size, though.
My bad! Bad editing (should have just used the outline for clarity) but I’m thinking it’s just being champion that gives you the last one if they’re not all different sizes. It would be random if they changed up the amount of gyms for no reason.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
IDK I'm pretty sure the Gym with the fairy-tale mushrooms around it is the Fairy Gym where Opal resides.

That's a possibility too, looking at the pillars, it is more on the pinkish side then purple.

So I think the gyms in order are gonna be: Industrial Gym(Fire), Grass Gym, Water gym, Ground Gym, Fairy Gym, Dark Gym, Dragon Gym, Unknown gym in the big city, Elite Four(red gym) in the same city.

If that red building in London really is the Elite Four, then there has to be another gym in that city which is the 8th gym. There's no where else on the map that can house a gym.

D*N

Musical Star
There's definitely possibilities, though the 8th gym being hidden in the London city seems most likely. Other possibilities I can think of:
-> We get a tutorial kind of gym at the trainer school area, but we would not be able to dynamax pokemon so seems unlikely
-> The 8th gym is getting build up throughout the story, just like the Alola league is new.
-> We miss a secret area of the map, Gibraltar area anyone?
-> We get to go to one Kalos city through the canal tunnel and challenge 1 gym over there.

I know some seem really unlikely, but you never know!

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Steel might be a hard 1st gym, if the Industrial gym is Steel, it’ll probably be 5th or 6th.
My guesses
Grass, Water, Rock, Fairy, Dark, Steel, Flying, Fire. Elite 4 is Normal, Psychic, Ghost, Electric and Leon has a variety of Pokémon but has 2 Dragon types, as well as his Charizard and 3 others (a full team).
I hope we get trainers in the gyms who have full teams of 6 Pokémon.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
There's definitely possibilities, though the 8th gym being hidden in the London city seems most likely. Other possibilities I can think of:
-> We get a tutorial kind of gym at the trainer school area, but we would not be able to dynamax pokemon so seems unlikely
-> The 8th gym is getting build up throughout the story, just like the Alola league is new.
-> We miss a secret area of the map, Gibraltar area anyone?
-> We get to go to one Kalos city through the canal tunnel and challenge 1 gym over there.

I know some seem really unlikely, but you never know!

But there's already a champion in Galar which means Leon beat the 8th gym so there can't just not be one until the player is old enough to be a trainer.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Steel might be a hard 1st gym, if the Industrial gym is Steel, it’ll probably be 5th or 6th.
My guesses
Grass, Water, Rock, Fairy, Dark, Steel, Flying, Fire. Elite 4 is Normal, Psychic, Ghost, Electric and Leon has a variety of Pokémon but has 2 Dragon types, as well as his Charizard and 3 others (a full team).
I hope we get trainers in the gyms who have full teams of 6 Pokémon.
I think that the Industrial Gym is the 3rd the player faces, after Milo and Nessa. My current Gym and E4 prediction list is:
Grass
Water
Steel
Fairy
Ground
Ice
Dragon
Electric

Elite 4
Psychic
Flying
Normal
Fighting

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I'm sure hoping for it.

It would be awesome to have a Steel gym early on.
Though it can be a bit rough given the big battery of types that Steel is resistant to. The saving grace is Ground and Fighting are reasonably common types for early-game Pokémon.

PreschoolerFromNowhere

Not sure if they going to spoil all Gym Leaders before the game come out but we won't know any elite four for sure.

I would love to have Dark type gym since we didn't have it yet, would be fun to see how the Gym Leader will look like and Normal type elite four too!

But let me remind you it don't matter even they put a gym like steel gym, fairy gym or dragon gym early, remember Norman or Clemont? even you can go to some gym early but it might not able to access at your first visit, it might want you to go back for a second visit to fight after you have enough badge.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lucky3 said:
That ring from the demo seems like it could fit way more than 8 badges inside. Is it possible there won't be an Elite Four and instead a bunch of extra gyms? Perhaps even in the same city (the northern one with all the landmarks)?

I've always liked the idea of us being able to challenge extra Gyms just for the sake of having other activities to do during the main storyline, so I hope that there really are more than just the usual eight Gyms in the Galar region.